Re: Do you like Ido, Interlingua or Occidantal the best?

  • davidjohnmccann
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2010
      Taking them as romlangs, obviously Interlingua wins; after all, it was the only one actually intended to be a romlang! As an auxlang, the mechanical method used to produce the vocabulary produces serious problems, as in the dictionary entries

      concurrentia.
      II.2. union in action.
      III. competition, rivalry.

      iride. 1. iris; 2. rainbow
      iris. 1. iris; 2. rainbow

      nove¹. nine
      nove². new

      As for Interlingua (aka Occidental), it looks a mess to me. The insistence on borrowing words in their original spelling produces odd results: why Eng. 'trolley' rather than Fr. 'trollie'?. The use of free stress is worse: 'ínscrit' vs 'inscrit'.

      As an auxlang, I'd vote for Ido, but I think André Martinet got it right when he wrote 'The common mistake of nearly all language-makers is to assume a demand where there is practically none.'