Romance WE

  • Adam Walker
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2004
      I've decided I'm not completely satisfied with the C-a
      words for we. Currently they are

      nos (m.)
      nosa (f.)

      I've been looking at my dictionaries and not that many
      of them don't list feminine forms for this word. Is
      this an omission (because of regular derivation) or is
      Spanish just odd? Anywho, I have:

      Lt. nos
      It. noi
      Sc. nui, nuautri
      Sp. nosotros/ -as
      Pt. n�s
      Gl. n�s
      Ct. nosaltres
      Fr. nous
      Rm. noi

      I'm currently leaning toward C-a forms nozu/-a. What
      think ye?

      Adam

      =====
      Fached il prori ul pa�eveju mutu chu djul atexindu.
      -- Carrajena proverb
    • Anton Sherwood
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2004
        Adam Walker wrote:
        > I've been looking at my dictionaries and not that many
        > of them don't list feminine forms for this word [`we'].
        > Is this an omission (because of regular derivation) or
        > is Spanish just odd?

        Odd. Castilian, Catalan and Sc (whatever that is) attach another word,
        in which gender may be marked, to the original pronoun, in which it isn't.

        > Sc. nui, nuautri
        > Sp. nosotros/ -as
        > Ct. nosaltres

        I've read that the primordial _nos_ and _vos_ are still in restricted
        use in Spanish, used by (and to) bishops and the like.

        --
        Anton Sherwood, http://www.ogre.nu/
      • Costentin Cornomorus
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2004
          --- Anton Sherwood <bronto@...> wrote:
          > Adam Walker wrote:
          > > I've been looking at my dictionaries and not
          > that many
          > > of them don't list feminine forms for this
          > word [`we'].
          > > Is this an omission (because of regular
          > derivation) or
          > > is Spanish just odd?
          >
          > Odd. Castilian, Catalan and Sc (whatever that
          > is) attach another word,

          -otros, from alter/altra, I believe.

          > in which gender may be marked, to the original
          > pronoun, in which it isn't.
          >
          > > Sc. nui, nuautri
          > > Sp. nosotros/ -as
          > > Ct. nosaltres
          >
          > I've read that the primordial _nos_ and _vos_
          > are still in restricted
          > use in Spanish, used by (and to) bishops and
          > the like.

          Voseo (the use of vos as a 2s pronoun) is common
          in many parts of Latin America as it once was in
          parts of Spain. Voseo verb forms conjugate
          slightly differently from tuteo (tu) forms:

          vos cant��s / tu cantas
          vos sab��s / tu sabes
          vos dorm��s / tu duermes

          There's nothing odd about the use of vos in these
          parts - it's simply a regular pronoun.

          Not sure about nos and vos as used by bishops and
          similar.

          Padraic.

          =====
          la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.

          --

          Ill Bethisad --
          <http://www.geocities.com/elemtilas/ill_bethisad>

          Come visit The World! --
          <http://www.geocities.com/hawessos/>

          .
        • Christian Thalmann
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 1, 2004
            --- In romconlang@yahoogroups.com, Adam Walker <carrajena@y...> wrote:
            > I've decided I'm not completely satisfied with the C-a
            > words for we. Currently they are
            >
            > nos (m.)
            > nosa (f.)

            It's strange to have a feminine form of "nos" in a Romlang
            IMHO. The form |nosa| is especially strange, since -a is
            a singular ending. I intuitively parse |nosa| as a
            possessive pronoun inflected for feminine singular.

            -- Christian Thalmann
          • Adam Walker
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 1, 2004
              --- Anton Sherwood <bronto@...> wrote:
              > Adam Walker wrote:
              > > I've been looking at my dictionaries and not that
              > many
              > > of them don't list feminine forms for this word
              > [`we'].
              > > Is this an omission (because of regular
              > derivation) or
              > > is Spanish just odd?
              >
              > Odd. Castilian, Catalan and Sc (whatever that is)
              > attach another word,
              > in which gender may be marked, to the original
              > pronoun, in which it isn't.

              Sorry. I'm used to abbriviating Sicilian Sc. in all
              my notes on derivations for Carrajena.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 1, 2004
                --- Christian Thalmann <cinga@...> wrote:
                > --- In romconlang@yahoogroups.com, Adam Walker
                > <carrajena@y...> wrote:
                > > I've decided I'm not completely satisfied with the
                > C-a
                > > words for we. Currently they are
                > >
                > > nos (m.)
                > > nosa (f.)
                >
                > It's strange to have a feminine form of "nos" in a
                > Romlang
                > IMHO. The form |nosa| is especially strange, since
                > -a is
                > a singular ending. I intuitively parse |nosa| as a
                > possessive pronoun inflected for feminine singular.
                >

                > -- Christian Thalmann

                Well, I have been concidering changing to nosu/-a by
                analogy with other forms like vosu/-a

                Adam

                =====
                Fached il prori ul pa�eveju mutu chu djul atexindu.
                -- Carrajena proverb
              • Isaac Penzev
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Adam Walker scripsit:

                  > Well, I have been concidering changing to nosu/-a by
                  > analogy with other forms like vosu/-a

                  Well, analogy may be on work. But still both nosu/-a and vosu/-a forms seem
                  confusing. I'd agree with Christian Thalmann:

                  > > a singular ending. I intuitively parse |nosa| as a
                  > > possessive pronoun inflected for feminine singular.

                  So do I. It resembles Portuguese possessive pronouns nosso/-a and vosso/-a. Try
                  to use smth with more flavor of plurality.

                  -- Yitzik
                • Jan van Steenbergen
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                    --- Adam Walker skrzypszy:

                    > I'm currently leaning toward C-a forms nozu/-a. What
                    > think ye?

                    I agree with Christian, that -u and -a for plural forms seems odd. I would
                    suggest nozi/-e and vozi/-e instead.

                    But to be honest, I don't see the point of distinguishing gender in this case.
                    Even the Slavic languages, who distinguish gender whenever they can, don't have
                    feminine personal pronouns for other persons than the 3rd. Polish (just to give
                    an example) dóes make a different in the attached verbal forms, however. For
                    example:

                    <unicode alert on>

                    ja by³em - I (m) was
                    ja by³am - I (f) was
                    ty by³es - you (m) were
                    ty by³aœ - you (f) were
                    on by³ - he was
                    ona by³a - she was
                    ono by³o - it was
                    my byliœmy - we (m or mixed) were
                    my by³yœmy - we (f) were
                    wy byliœcie - you (m or mixed pl.) were
                    wy by³yœcie - you (f.pl.) were
                    oni byli - they (m or mixed) were
                    one by³y - they (f) were

                    All this can be explained from the fact that in Common Slavic "by³" was some
                    kind of participle, with a short form of "to be" attached to it. I never
                    adopted this feature into Wenedyk, BTW.

                    <unicode alert off>

                    Now that you mention it, I have never been particularly satisfied with the
                    Wenedyk 1st and 2nd persons plural, _nosz_ and _wosz_. I am considering
                    changing them to _nu_ and _wu_, at least in the nominative. _nosz_ and _wosz_
                    could then stay as accusatives.

                    Jan

                    =====
                    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito."

                  • Jan van Steenbergen
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                      --- Jan van Steenbergen skrzypszy:

                      > <unicode alert on>

                      Sorry, that should be Central European (Windows).

                      Jan

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                        --- Isaac Penzev <isaacp@...> wrote:
                        > Adam Walker scripsit:
                        >
                        > > Well, I have been concidering changing to nosu/-a
                        > by
                        > > analogy with other forms like vosu/-a
                        >
                        > Well, analogy may be on work. But still both nosu/-a
                        > and vosu/-a forms seem
                        > confusing. I'd agree with Christian Thalmann:
                        >
                        > > > a singular ending. I intuitively parse |nosa|
                        > as a
                        > > > possessive pronoun inflected for feminine
                        > singular.
                        >
                        > So do I. It resembles Portuguese possessive pronouns
                        > nosso/-a and vosso/-a. Try
                        > to use smth with more flavor of plurality.
                        >
                        > -- Yitzik

                        Well, vosu/-a is a singular form. The plural is
                        vosus/-as. So perhaps I should go with nosus/-as.

                        The possives are nostru/-a.

                        Adam

                        =====
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                          --- Jan van Steenbergen <ijzeren_jan@...>
                          wrote:
                          > --- Adam Walker skrzypszy:
                          >
                          > > I'm currently leaning toward C-a forms nozu/-a.
                          > What
                          > > think ye?
                          >
                          > I agree with Christian, that -u and -a for plural
                          > forms seems odd. I would
                          > suggest nozi/-e and vozi/-e instead.

                          Not possible in C-a since /e/ and /i/ merged early on
                          in final position (as did /u/ and /o/). 'Sides that
                          would make "we" the only pronoun exclusivle available
                          in nueter gender.

                          I should mention that vos- is a formal form of 2nd
                          person.

                          > But to be honest, I don't see the point of
                          > distinguishing gender in this case.
                          > Even the Slavic languages, who distinguish gender
                          > whenever they can, don't have
                          > feminine personal pronouns for other persons than
                          > the 3rd. Polish (just to give
                          > an example) d�es make a different in the attached
                          > verbal forms, however. For
                          > example:
                          ><snip Polish examples>

                          <unicode alert off>

                          > Now that you mention it, I have never been
                          > particularly satisfied with the
                          > Wenedyk 1st and 2nd persons plural, _nosz_ and
                          > _wosz_. I am considering
                          > changing them to _nu_ and _wu_, at least in the
                          > nominative. _nosz_ and _wosz_
                          > could then stay as accusatives.
                          >
                          > Jan

                          Latin NOS could drop the final |s| and become |nu|
                          which is homophonous with |nu| meaning "no" and thus
                          might feel the pressur to re apply the -s to mark
                          plural giving |nus| which feels like a masculine
                          plural (and might give rise to |nas| for all-female
                          groups.

                          OR Latin NOS could add a gender marker to nos before
                          the |s| drops to make nosu > nozu which would then
                          "necessitate" noza as a female alternative like in
                          Spanish.

                          OR Latin NOS could compound with ALTERUM to give
                          |nozaurru\-a| as the C-a results.

                          OR Latin NOS could simply survive as |nos| which might
                          seem neutral enough not to spawn a feminine and could
                          retain the |s| as a precieved plural marker from the
                          get-go. It would make a strange word, but not
                          impossible.

                          Adam

                          =====
                          Fached il prori ul pa�eveju mutu chu djul atexindu.
                          -- Carrajena proverb
                        • Paul Bennett
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                            On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 10:05:09 +0000 (GMT), Jan van Steenbergen
                            <ijzeren_jan@...> wrote:

                            > --- Jan van Steenbergen skrzypszy:
                            >
                            >> <unicode alert on>
                            >
                            > Sorry, that should be Central European (Windows).
                            >
                            > Jan

                            It didn't come through here. It didn't make it onto the web viewer intact,
                            either.

                            I do know that Jan is capable of making non-Latin-1 text, and that I am
                            capable of reading it.

                            Am I to surmise that Yahoo! groups is even less friendly to non-Latin-1
                            text than the brown.edu listserv?

                            Great. Just, great.

                            Paul
                          • Adam Walker
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                              --- Adam Walker <carrajena@...> wrote:
                              > Lt. nos
                              > It. noi
                              > Sc. nui, nuautri
                              > Sp. nosotros/ -as
                              > Pt. n�s
                              > Gl. n�s
                              > Ct. nosaltres
                              > Fr. nous
                              > Rm. noi

                              Well, after a bit more digging I've disovered:

                              Occcitan nosautres/-as
                              Sardinian nois
                              Surselvan nus
                              Vallader no

                              That in addition to the realization that both Cajun
                              and Quebecois have forms compounded with ALTERUM is
                              making me lean toward nozaurrus/-as. However,
                              Surselvan |nus| would be identical to one of the C-a
                              forms I'm still considering. . .

                              Also I fouond that some of the Romantsch langalects
                              are VSO which makes me feel even better about my
                              decision some months ago to make C-a VSO instead of
                              SOV.

                              Adam

                              =====
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                                --- Paul Bennett skrzypszy:

                                > It didn't come through here. It didn't make it onto the web viewer intact,
                                > either.
                                >
                                > I do know that Jan is capable of making non-Latin-1 text, and that I am
                                > capable of reading it.
                                >
                                > Am I to surmise that Yahoo! groups is even less friendly to non-Latin-1
                                > text than the brown.edu listserv?

                                Strange. When I watch the message myself on the yahoogroups page
                                (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/romconlang/message/239>) and then switch
                                manually to Central European (Windows) encoding, I can watch it properly. I
                                guess I'll never be able to understand this whole encoding thingy...

                                Anyways, I use non-Latin-1 text only because Polish and Wenedyk look horrible
                                in ASCII. When I noticed that I started posting less about Wenedyk because I
                                didn't recognise my own language in my messages, I decided to go non-Latin-1
                                after all. But if anyone is really interested and has a problem reading it, I
                                am always prepared to make an ASCII-friendly version. Just let me know.

                                Jan

                                =====

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                                  wrote:

                                  > Anyways, I use non-Latin-1 text only because Polish
                                  > and Wenedyk look horrible
                                  > in ASCII. When I noticed that I started posting less
                                  > about Wenedyk because I
                                  > didn't recognise my own language in my messages, I
                                  > decided to go non-Latin-1
                                  > after all. But if anyone is really interested and
                                  > has a problem reading it, I
                                  > am always prepared to make an ASCII-friendly
                                  > version. Just let me know.
                                  >
                                  > Jan

                                  I've had the most awful time guessing at what you've
                                  written since the switch. Almost al the non-Latin-1
                                  characters in your posts arrive in my in-box as
                                  variations of capital A. A with +, A with ^, A with
                                  c-cedilla, A with what-have-you. So I'd really
                                  appreciate the ASCII version if it's not too much
                                  trouble.

                                  Adam

                                  =====
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                                    --- Adam Walker skrzypszy:

                                    > I've had the most awful time guessing at what you've
                                    > written since the switch. Almost al the non-Latin-1
                                    > characters in your posts arrive in my in-box as
                                    > variations of capital A. A with +, A with ^, A with
                                    > c-cedilla, A with what-have-you. So I'd really
                                    > appreciate the ASCII version if it's not too much
                                    > trouble.

                                    That looks suspiciously much like Unicodes messages viewed in another (West
                                    European, most likely) encoding. Have you tried switching to Unicode manually
                                    (if you have IE, follow View -> Encoding -> Unicode or UTF-8)? That should
                                    really solve the problem!
                                    Unfortunately, I don't know how I can change the default settings for outgoing
                                    messages in IE6, so that each message has UTF-8 as its embedded encoding. That
                                    would make it unnecessary for any of you to change the encoding manually each
                                    time.

                                    Do you have similar problems reading my website, Adam? For example, try:
                                    <http://www.geocities.com/wenedyk/language/texts.html>. It that works properly,
                                    there is still hope!

                                    If not, then of course I will add an ASCII-friendly version to every Wenedyk
                                    message I send in the future.

                                    Jan

                                    =====
                                    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito."

                                  • Daniel Prohaska
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                                      Adam,

                                      Don't forget Vegliot, which has <noijiltri>.

                                      Dan

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                                        Really? Where did you find noijiltri? My little book
                                        on Vegliot has |noi|. Does your source tell where
                                        *they* found noijiltri? I find it interesting how
                                        widly dispersed these forms with ALTEREM are: Spanish,
                                        Catalan, Occitan, dailectal French, Sicilian and now
                                        as an alternate form in Vegliot. The only thing they
                                        have in common is that they are all on the
                                        Mediterranean (except for Cajun and Quebecois), so
                                        maybe its a feature of "Southern" Romance as opposed
                                        to "Northern" Romance?

                                        Adam

                                        =====
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
                                          I found it in the 'Pater noster' in Vegliot.

                                          "Tuota nuester che te sante intel sil: sait santificuot el naun to.
                                          Vigna el raigno to. Sait fuot la vulontuot toa, coisa in sil, coisa in
                                          tiara.
                                          Duote costa dai el pun nuester cotidiun. E remetiaj le nuestre debete,
                                          coisa nojiltri remetiaime a i nuestre debetuar.
                                          E naun ne menur in tentatiaun, mui deliberiajne dal mal."

                                          Didn't you ever come across this? The first time I saw it was in
                                          Lockwood's "The Indo-European Languages".

                                          Dan

                                          <Really? Where did you find noijiltri? My little book
                                          <on Vegliot has |noi|. Does your source tell where
                                          <*they* found noijiltri? I find it interesting how
                                          <widly dispersed these forms with ALTEREM are: Spanish,
                                          <Catalan, Occitan, dailectal French, Sicilian and now
                                          <as an alternate form in Vegliot. The only thing they
                                          <have in common is that they are all on the
                                          <Mediterranean (except for Cajun and Quebecois), so
                                          <maybe its a feature of "Southern" Romance as opposed
                                          <to "Northern" Romance?

                                          <Adam
                                        • Steg Belsky
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 3, 2004
                                            On Friday, January 2, 2004, at 06:43 PM, Paul Bennett wrote:
                                            > On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 10:05:09 +0000 (GMT), Jan van Steenbergen
                                            > <ijzeren_jan@...> wrote:
                                            >> --- Jan van Steenbergen skrzypszy:
                                            >>> <unicode alert on>
                                            >>
                                            >> Sorry, that should be Central European (Windows).
                                            >> Jan
                                            >
                                            > It didn't come through here. It didn't make it onto the web viewer
                                            > intact, either.
                                            > I do know that Jan is capable of making non-Latin-1 text, and that I
                                            > am capable of reading it.
                                            > Am I to surmise that Yahoo! groups is even less friendly to
                                            > non-Latin-1 text than the brown.edu listserv?
                                            > Great. Just, great.
                                            > Paul

                                            It worked fine for me once i found out that it wasn't Unicode, and told
                                            my mail program to use the correct encoding. Which is unusual; half
                                            the time i know what encoding something is, but the program refuses to
                                            read it properly.

                                            -Stephen (Steg)
                                            "...hæjjoðöl hæjjibbör wæhænnöro..."
                                          • Isaac Penzev
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 3, 2004
                                              Steg Belsky scripsit:

                                              <<It worked fine for me once i found out that it wasn't Unicode, and told
                                              my mail program to use the correct encoding.>>

                                              The same with me. It worked perfectly when I switched manually to Central
                                              European (Windows) / Win-1250, or what?

                                              -- Yitzik