Re: [romconlang] More Aqilonian/Aqileian

  • Benct Philip Jonsson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
      On 2009-07-15 Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
      > I don't have an actual Hellenic language branch in my
      > "alternative IE" setting

      How sad! ;-)

      Philippos ho duslgistos
    • Carl Edlund Anderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
        On 01 Aug 2009, at 03:42, Philippos ho duslgistos wrote:
        > On 2009-07-15 Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
        >> I don't have an actual Hellenic language branch in my
        >> "alternative IE" setting
        >
        > How sad! ;-)

        Perhaps so! Originally, things were set up this way because a) I had
        a very limited understanding of Greek, and b) more than one
        civilization characterized by "steps and columns" seemed like
        overkill. ;) However, that said, I often look to the PIE antecedent
        of a Greek word to con new Aqileian words where Latin itself has a
        Greek, non-IE, or simply mysterious word; and the Ausonic branch of
        Aqileian has come to take much of the place that a real "alternative
        Hellenic" branch might have occupied. Some bits the grammar/
        phonology in Aqileian, especially in Ausonic, is given a rather
        Hellenic tinge. So Greek at least gets an oblique look-in!

        Cheers,
        Carl

        --
        Carl Edlund Anderson
        http://www.carlaz.com/
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2009
          What are words in Aqilonian/Aqileian stressed like? Are they stressed on the first syllable like in very old Latin? I wonder how it sounds like.

          I bought a Latin etymological dictionary some weeks ago. Do you have one too? I find it very usefull for conlanging.
        • Carl Edlund Anderson
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 2009
            On 29 Sep 2009, at 06:51 , Capsicum wrote:
            > What are words in Aqilonian/Aqileian stressed like? Are they
            > stressed on the first syllable like in very old Latin? I wonder how
            > it sounds like.

            Good question! Aquileian could have first syllable stress, though I
            think to keep things simple for myself (and to make it easier to do
            comparisons with real-world Romance languages) that later Kuriac (and
            perhaps later Ausonic) should just have normal Latin stress patterns.

            > I bought a Latin etymological dictionary some weeks ago. Do you have
            > one too? I find it very usefull for conlanging.

            I have a rather old and and out-of-date Latin etymological dictionary,
            but I often use Sihler to make comparisons between Latin and PIE.
            Much of the real work I have to do in Aquileian is creating new terms
            from PIE where Latin doesn't have something suitable (i.e. where Latin
            has a possible non-IE loan, or has borrowed from Greek).

            Cheers,
            Carl

            --
            Carl Edlund Anderson