-able

  • Scotto Hlad
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
      I'm looking for the derivation of the suffix "-able" which we have in
      English which appears the same in French and as "-avel" in Portugese.
      Any ideas?
      Scotto
    • B Garcia
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
        On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 8:45 PM, Scotto Hlad <scott.hlad@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking for the derivation of the suffix "-able" which we have in
        > English which appears the same in French and as "-avel" in Portugese.
        > Any ideas?
        > Scotto

        Pretty straightforward. Ralph Penny gives:

        -ABILE, -IBILE, giving words like inoxidable, movible. Bartleby says
        the suffixes come from "habilis" - "able"
      • Scotto Hlad
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
          Thank you!
          Is the first "i" in "-ible" long or short?

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
            On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Scotto Hlad <scott.hlad@...> wrote:

            > Thank you!
            > Is the first "i" in "-ible" long or short?

            Ooops, sorry. In both, the a in -ABILE and the i in -IBILE are
            supposed to be long.