GMP

  • Scotto Hlad
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
      After having procured a copy of "From Latin to Romance in Sound Charts," I
      am now starting a GMP for another Romance language with the working name of
      "L3." (Inventive, no?) Anyway, I'm enjoying the work of the author who laid
      down rules as to the changes from Vulgar Latin to our modern Romance
      languages. I'm wondering if those who have created a GMP would be willing to
      share a link or file with me (and hence the group) to see how it was done.

      The changes I am working through will actually allow me to develop an early
      vocabulary, a mid vocabulary and a modern vocabulary at least in principle,
      which is something that I have always wanted to be able to see.

      Aside from morphology (which seems to be the majority of the GMPs that I
      have seen) what else is typically included?

      Any information is appreciated.
      Scotto
    • Mark J. Reed
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2008
        So, ah, what the heck is a GMP? :)

      • Padraic Brown
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2008
          --- "Mark J. Reed" <markjreed@...> wrote:

          > So, ah, what the heck is a GMP? :)

          "Grand Master Plan". What it actually is is a classified
          listing of a conlang's sound changes through historical
          time. If you have access to the book noted (From Latin to
          Romance in Sound Changes), you'll get a good idea of what a
          natural language's GMP looks like, and thus what an ideal
          GMP for a conlang looks like.

          Padraic

          --
          qua-trevi, quafiri londinno muntu ogronu.
          Of plants, for Man's health mint is best!

          --

          Ill Bethisad --
          <http://www.bethisad.com>

          Come visit The World! --
          <http://www.geocities.com/hawessos/>

          .
        • Mark J. Reed
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2008
            > "Grand Master Plan". What it actually is is a classified
            > listing of a conlang's sound changes through historical
            > time. If you have access to the book noted (From Latin to
            > Romance in Sound Changes)

            Yup. I own a copy. Which is part of why I was extra-confused to
            encounter a new acronym in a thread about it. :)

            Grace for the explication.

            --
            Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>