Re: Romlang problem in Terkunan

  • spad0103
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      --- In romconlang@yahoogroups.com, theiling@... wrote:
      > A small problem arose concerning the sound shifts of Terkunan: I
      don't
      > like the sound of -/ls/ at the end of words but it frequently
      occurs
      > due to a regularised plural ending -/s/.

      I would reduce the -ls in -is /js/, /jz/ or even -i /j/ like it is
      done in Friulian (a Rhaeto-romance language). The /j/ even turns
      naturally to /i/ after a vowel like u (where the u is
      pronounced /w/).

      > ILLE > (il) ir 'he,she,it' => irz 'they'
      il => is or i ("il, i" is used in Friulian, but it means "the")
      > CAELUM > (kel) ker 'heaven,sky' => kerz 'heavens, skies'
      kel => keis or kei
      > SOL > (sul) sur 'sun'
      sul => suis or sui ("ui" can be pronounced /uj/ or /wi/ as you
      prefer)
      > ARBOREM > (arbul) albur 'tree'
      arbul => arbuis or arbui <- the same word is used in Friulian (un
      arbul, arbui /arbwi/)

      I hope it can help you...
    • Henrik Theiling
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi!

        spad0103 writes:
        > --- In romconlang@yahoogroups.com, theiling@... wrote:
        > > A small problem arose concerning the sound shifts of Terkunan: I
        > don't
        > > like the sound of -/ls/ at the end of words but it frequently
        > occurs
        > > due to a regularised plural ending -/s/.
        >
        > I would reduce the -ls in -is /js/, /jz/ or even -i /j/ like it is
        > done in Friulian (a Rhaeto-romance language). The /j/ even turns
        > naturally to /i/ after a vowel like u (where the u is
        > pronounced /w/).
        >
        > > ILLE > (il) ir 'he,she,it' => irz 'they'
        > il => is or i ("il, i" is used in Friulian, but it means "the")
        > > CAELUM > (kel) ker 'heaven,sky' => kerz 'heavens, skies'
        > kel => keis or kei
        > > SOL > (sul) sur 'sun'
        > sul => suis or sui ("ui" can be pronounced /uj/ or /wi/ as you
        > prefer)
        > > ARBOREM > (arbul) albur 'tree'
        > arbul => arbuis or arbui <- the same word is used in Friulian (un
        > arbul, arbui /arbwi/)
        >
        > I hope it can help you...

        Although I will probably not shift ls to is or i, you did help me -- I
        did not know the Friulian forms and now I know them, that's a very
        good thing! :-) And I am still not satisfied with my current system,
        since it is partially irregular which seems to annoy me more than I
        thought...

        I already checked the pronouns in many Romance natlangs to see whether
        anything is suited better that my current _il_. So to revive this thread,
        I would like ask for more help: what 3rd person pronouns can you think
        of in Romance? It should fulfil the following constraints:

        - plural = singular + /s/ without any irregular shifts
        - no geminates, so no singular in -s
        - no typical epenthetic consonants, so no singular
        in -l, -n, -r.
        - both singular and plural monosyllabic

        Maybe a little brainstorming will help me again. :-)

        **Henrik