Need some elementary help

  • Jamie Holm
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2006
      Howdy, I'm a generic D&D nerd, trying to spice up my silly little game.

      I'm trying to create the bones of a language with a mostly french
      flair. I'd like it to be similar to french enough to sound as
      beautiful as french does, but not to look like i just rearranged
      syllabuls from a map of France.

      Could someone lend me some pointers? I know very little about the IPA,
      and am finding it very hard to understand the whole noise system. I
      tried making a language sound with no stops, like dh instead of T. But
      it lacked any believability.

      A few ideas from anyone?

      Thank you very much for your time,

      Jamie Holm
    • old_astrologer
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 23, 2006
        --- In romconlang@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie Holm" <jimholm@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to create the bones of a language with a mostly French
        > flair. I'd like it to be similar to French enough to sound as
        > beautiful as FIench does, but not to look like I just rearranged
        > syllables from a map of France.

        We're all game players here, Jamie! As Marion Bradley used to say,
        "You're never too old to have a happy childhood".

        You need to keep your creations within the limits of natural languages
        if they are to look plausible (let alone look French).

        You could try creating your own French dialect by altering some of the
        features of standard French. For instance, Latin <k> becomes French
        <ch> before <a>. But you could keep it as in Picard: that's how we get
        both "catch" and "chase" from a Latin *captiare. Notice how the
        standard has also got ti > ts > s, but Picard had ti > ch. So instead
        of the standard "chasser" you could have "cacher". Similarly, you can
        alter the vowel system. Retaining stressed <a> would give "cha�ar".
        Modern "avoir" was once pronounced as it is spelled, and developed
        from an earlier "aveir"; suppose the latter had changed instead so
        that the <ei> was pronounced as in "Eiffel". Get a book on the history
        of French from the library and experiment.

        Just a few ideas, but if you just need a naming language for people
        and places, or a few tourist-style phrases, this appreach misght help.

        David

        PS that "cha�ar" should have a c-cedilla in the middle! Perhaps some
        ome could tell me what went wrong! Why can't Google join the 21st
        century and use Unicode?
      • markjreed@mail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 23, 2006
          David: Google Mail has been Unicode-friendly since it went online in
          early beta. Whatever messed up your ç wasn't on their end.

          As to Jamie's question: If you want the language to sound French,
          david's approach is a good one. If you just want it to sound "as
          beautiful as French", there are lots of other options. First, decide
          what it is about French that you like so much. Also, does the setting
          require that it be a Romance language? If not, you could do something
          interesting by developing, say, a Germanic language in a Frenchlike
          direction (as opposed to English, which is largely a case of taking
          French in a Germanic direction...).

          --
          Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>