Re: [romconlang] estar vs. ser

  • Jan van Steenbergen
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2006
      --- Mark J. Reed skrzypszy:

      > In French, the descendant of stare seems to have disappeared
      > entirely, and some of its semantic space is indeed now occupied by
      > the descendant of essere, [...]

      Not entirely. The verb "être" incorporates several forms of STARE as
      well: the imperfect tense "j'étais, tu étais ..." and the perfect
      participle "été" (from STATUS).

      Jan

      "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito."

      http://steen.free.fr/

      .

    • Benct Philip Jonsson
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2006
        Padraic Brown skrev:
        > --- Julía <descubralia@...> wrote:
        >

        >>hmm, where does "fieri" come from?
        >

        > It's Latin. Fieri: become, be made.
        >

        >>It reminds me of the preterit in
        >>Spanish of ser (and ir) [fui, fuiste, fue,
        >>fuimos, fuisteis(?), fueron] are they related?
        >

        > Fu- is the regular perfect stem of Latin esse. I
        > gather from Sihler that they aren't related, but
        > he does admit that the etymology of fieri isn't
        > so well known.

        Actually both _fieri_ and _fuit_ come from the
        Indo-European root *bheu-, or rather from
        its zero grade *bhu: (< *bhuH) "to be,
        to become". _Fieri_ is a causative *bhu:-yo-
        so it is not strange that they have similar
        forms and meanings.

        --
        /BP 8^)>

        "Maybe" is a strange word. When mum or dad says it
        it means "yes", but when my big brothers say it it
        means "no"!

        (Philip Jonsson jr, age 7)