A C-a grammar question

  • Adam Walker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2005
      In looking back over the Carrajena folk tale I
      recently finished, (while implimenting Jan's
      suggestion about formating, changing colors and
      searching for typos of which I found several in both
      the English and the C-a versions!) I happened upon
      this one sentence that made me pause:

      «Echa, esti junu fapu grandu pera undrari junu
      cadoligu ils cunxueduñis djils huidelis.» dichid al
      chimpeda.

      It parses as:

      already be.3rd.sg.pres one/a.masc. deed/act/fact
      great/large/big for to.honor one/a.masc Catholic
      the.neut.pl custom.pl of.the.neut.pl faithful.pl
      say.3rd.sg.past the.fem. beggar

      Or more smoothly,

      "Already it's a deed great for to.honor a Catholic the
      customs of.the faithful." said the beggar.

      And I translated it as:

      "It is already a great deed for a Catholic to honor
      the customs of the Faithful," said the beggar.

      What I'm wondering is, do any of you find the original
      difficult to parse? I'm considering adding the word
      "ad" meaning "to" between "cadoligu" and "ils" which
      would make:

      «Echa, esti junu fapu grandu pera undrari junu
      cadoligu ad ils cunxueduñis djils huidelis.» dichid al
      chimpeda.

      Now it would parse as:

      already be.3rd.sg.pres one/a.masc. deed/act/fact
      great/large/big for to.honor one/a.masc Catholic to
      the.neut.pl custom.pl of.the.neut.pl faithful.pl
      say.3rd.sg.past the.fem. beggar

      Or more smoothly:

      "Already it's a deed great for to.honor a Catholic to
      the customs of the Faithful," said the beggar.

      Do you think the addition of "to" marking the clause
      boundary makes thing clearer, more confused or just
      silly?

      Awaiting the collective wisdom of the list,

      Adam

      Jin nifalud fistus todus idavi eseud adimpuudu ul isu fi aved niminchunadu pera ul Dju peu'l medju djul provedu cumvi dichid: «Iñi! Cunchepijid ed nadajid il virdjini ad junu huiju, ed cuamajuns ad si il Emanueli fi sñivigad ul Dju simu noviscu.»

      Machu 1:22-23