Excel Declensor

  • Gregory H. Bontrager
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4 11:32 AM
      I have found that one of the best ways for me to master foreign
      language verb conjugations and begin to internalize the language is
      to create an Excel spreadsheet that conjugates virtually any verb
      automatically. I end up with an excellent reference tool, but
      what's more important is the actual process of inputting all those
      nested IF/THEN functions and other Excel codes. In programming the
      various inflections, regular conjugations, and stem changes into the
      spreadsheet, the underlying patterns, both obvious and subtle,
      become more ingrained in my mind.

      Finding the Latin case declension system completely without
      precedent from any language I've studied before (French, Spanish,
      and Italian), I decided it would be especially helpful to apply this
      same process to Latin noun, adjective, and pronoun declensions.

      And so, in about two or three days, I have designed, assembled, and
      tested an Excel-based Latin declensor. I would like to offer to e-
      mail it to anyone in this group who either 1) believes it would be a
      good reference tool for using Latin or for transforming the
      declensions for conlanging purposes, or 2) is willing to beta it for
      any inaccuracies I haven't caught yet (which should be few if any).

      Here's how it works. It consolidates 16 total worksheets into three
      Master worksheets (one for nouns, one for adjectives, and one for
      pronouns). These three Master sheets (indicated by colored tabs)
      are the only sheets the user should look at. The others are for
      filtering purposes and will more often than not look blatantly
      incorrect without being filtered and consolidated.

      Anyone who wishes to try it out, here's how to use it: simply input
      the gender and the singular nominative and genitive case forms (of a
      noun) or the masculine, feminine, and neuter singular nominative
      case forms (of an adjective or pronoun) in the appropriate space and
      press Enter. This should yield a complete chart declining the word
      in all five main cases (nominative, accusative, ablative, dative,
      and genitive). The spreadsheet will also indicate which declension
      is being used and whether or not the word is an i-stem word.

      I am also nearing completion of a Latin Verb Conjugator. If I get a
      good response from the declensor, I'll offer to distribute it as
      well once I put the finishing touches on it.

      Special thanks to Scotto Hilad for introducing me to the basics of
      using Excel to model foreign language inflectional systems.
      Interestingly enough, I first used this process to make a verb
      conjugator for my conlang. I then just applied it to three (and now
      four) natlangs and refined the procedure to make the result more
      powerful, accurate, and convenient.
    • Carl Edlund Anderson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7 2:17 AM
        On 04-Mar-2005 19:32, Gregory H. Bontrager wrote:
        > And so, in about two or three days, I have designed, assembled, and
        > tested an Excel-based Latin declensor. I would like to offer to e-
        > mail it to anyone in this group who either 1) believes it would be a
        > good reference tool for using Latin or for transforming the
        > declensions for conlanging purposes, or 2) is willing to beta it for
        > any inaccuracies I haven't caught yet (which should be few if any).

        I'd be interested in seeing this :) I've replied to the list, since I
        wanted to moot the idea of whether your Excel-based Latin declensor
        would make a good template for others (with Excel access) to adapt into
        declensors for their romconlangs (or other conlangs). It sounds like an
        interesting tool!

        Cheers,
        Carl

        --