2802Re: [romconlang] Re: What would be your sugge stions for a pure French word meaning 'frater nitée'?

  • Padraic Brown
    Feb 1, 2013
      --- On Fri, 2/1/13, thomasruhm <thomas@...> wrote:

      > I saw that the word comes form 'fraternus', when I already typed the
      > post, and did not send it, but I did not want to change it because I
      > don't like to change something I have already written, because it is not
      > authentic if I change it. Sometimes I still do.

      That I don't understand. What makes a changed / corrected post inauthentic?

      > Maybe if 'frèrité' would have been composed in French times, not
      > developed progressively from Latin, there would not have been a word
      > descending from 'fraternus'.

      Possibly. Or possibly not. French etymology makes wandering in king
      Minos's labyrinth like an afternoon at Hampton Court!

      > I see this is getting complicated. I just thought about the word
      > 'frèrne'. From that it could be 'frèrnté', if 'rnt' isn't a too
      > complicated nexus.

      What is "frèrne"?

      > Frerity looks like a real English word.

      It is! Or would be if we'd borrowed French frèrité! I don't think this
      is a valid French word, though google returns a couple hits for it.

      Padraic
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic