Howard Dean: The Most Pro-Abortion Presidential Candidate?

  • right2life@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9 1:31 PM
      Howard Dean: The Most Pro-Abortion Presidential Candidate?
      http://www.lifenews.com/nat77.html
      Editor's Note: This is a redux of our August 13 profile.

      by Steven Ertelt
      LifeNews.com Editor
      August 13, 2003

      Editor's Note: This is the second in a series of LifeNews.com
      profiles on the Democratic presidential candidates.

      Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- The Democratic candidates for
      president are playing a game of one-upmanship in their attempt to
      gain support form abortion advocacy groups. But former Vermont
      Governor Howard Dean has a claim to fame none of the others can
      match: he's worked at Planned Parenthood.

      The physician-turned-politician did a stint at Planned Parenthood
      while working to become an internist, Mary Hahn Beerworth,
      director of Vermont Right to Life, tells LifeNews.com. However,
      the rotation wasn't required by his medical student program.

      "While he has said that he fully understands the procedures
      involved in an abortion, he also says he has never performed one
      - which leads to the question, why not," Beerworth asked.

      What is known, however, is that he also served on the board of
      Planned Parenthood of Northern New England for five years before
      becoming governor.

      As governor, Dean towed the party line on parental notification
      and opposed letting parents know about their minor daughters
      having an abortion so they could help them make a better choice.

      However, in an embarrassing moment for Dean earlier this year, he
      was caught exaggerating one story in an attempt to talk down the
      need for notification. During his speech to the annual NARAL
      dinner this January, Dean related a story about his days as a
      doctor:

      As many of you know I'm a doctor. I'm an internist, and I take
      care of all agesone time a young lady came into my office who was
      12 years old and she thought she might be pregnant. And we did
      the tests and did the exam and she was pregnant. She didn't know
      what to do. And after I had talked to her for a while I came to
      the conclusion that the likely father of her child was her own
      father. You explain that to the American people who think that
      parental notification is a good idea.

      Dean's problem? The story is false.

      In an appearance on MSNBC's "Meet the Press" on June 22nd, host
      Tim Russert confronted Dean with the falsehood.

      Russert: There's this article in USA Today: Dean told a powerful
      story but left out a key fact. What Dean didn't say was that he
      knew the father was not responsible, someone else was convicted.
      That's a pretty big omission.
      Dean: I don't think it's -- omission. A pretty big omission, you
      mean?
      Russert: Yeah. Thats a pretty -- to say that...
      Dean: I dont think it is at all.
      Russert: To suggest her father may have been...
      Dean: I thought it was. At the time, I thought it was.
      Russert: But when you told that story, you knew otherwise.
      Dean: Thats right.
      Russert: Why didnt you say that?
      Dean: Because it didnt make any difference.

      Joanne Ciulla, a leadership and ethics professor at the
      University of Richmond, says Dean gave "the appearance of lying
      because he didn't reveal all the information."

      Pro-life groups say Dean's focus in the situation should have
      been less on getting an abortion for the girl without her parents
      knowledge and more on reporting the potential incest to police so
      it could be investigated.

      In fact, Dean not only apparently failed to report the incident
      to authorities, he admitted in a February 2001 interview, he
      didn't know the law required such a report.

      Dean received his medical license in 1979 and, in 1982, a Vermont
      state law went into effect requiring mandatory reporting of child
      abuse.

      In the interview on the "Mark Johnson Show" on WDEV in
      Burlington, Vermont, Dean was asked why he didn't report the
      incident to authorities.

      "I don't know. I mean I don't know if I do or notthose laws were
      passed long after I left medical practice as far as I know..I am
      not even sure if doctors are covered for those kinds of
      instances," Dean said. "Well, maybe I did, maybe I broke the law,
      I don't have any idea."

      Yet, in a, Dean told Tim Russert in the same June 2003 interview,
      "Of course we reported the whole situation."

      Meanwhile, Dean was such a strong advocate for abortion as
      Vermont's governor that he proposed making abortions cheap and
      readily available.

      "As Governor, Dean's universal health care proposal included
      $5.00 abortions for everybody," Beerworth said.

      During his tenure, the state of Vermont allowed partial-birth
      abortions to be performed and even allowed non-doctors to do
      abortions.

      Vermont law was so permissive on abortion that it propelled the
      state to the top of the list for abortion rates. According to CDC
      statistics, Vermont had one of the highest abortion rates in the
      nation. In 1992, during the second year of Dean's term, it had
      359 abortions for every 1000 live births.

      The evidence seemingly makes it clear that Howard Dean is perhaps
      the most pro-abortion candidate running for president in 2004.

      "Howard Dean is pro-abortion, has always been a pro-abortion
      activist and he takes the extreme position that there is not an
      unborn child, at any stage of pregnancy, that merits legal
      protection," Beerworth concluded.

      Related links:

      USA Today on Howard Dean's Story --
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-03-13-dean-usat_x.htm
      Transcript of Interview With Tim Russert -
      http://www.msnbc.com/news/912159.asp
      Mark Johnson Show Interview - http://www.LifeNews.com/nat77b.html

      ----
      Tell a friend about LifeNews.com. Anyone can sign up by going to
      our web site at http://www.LifeNews.com. Or, send the email
      addresses of your friends and family who want to be updated with
      pro-life news and information to news@.... Thank you!