Re: [romandays] Types of publicity

  • debfuller@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31 8:53 AM
      >>1. The paid route, like the Washington Post weekend section, covers the entire metro area the day before the event. I was having a hard time finding anyone at the Post who could answer questions about the cost etc, but I'll find out as I'm sure that's changed.

      I've got the Post info. There is no charge for non-profits to place an event listing in any of the Post sections. The Weekend has several event listing like "Saturday's Child" and "About Town". You have to mail your event info in like 10 weeks in advance or something like that. Susan at Marietta might have people we can contact directly. If not, Lynne at Poplar Hill has people.

      You can also have events listed in the local Metro sections for PG County. We've gotten articles written about our events in that section before as well. Again, I've got the contact people for that.

      >>2. Local schools: this is free but you have to find the right people. I think I have it down for the Fairfax County system, as I have contacted the county head of languages, as well as their Latin teachers group.

      I don't know about Fairfax but for PG county, you have to get school board approval to hand out flyers to the kids directly but you can get around this by having the PTA hand out the flyers for you. I've not had much luck contacting local PTAs but I'm sure all of them have newletters that we can get our event listed in or even a short article written about.

      Local home school associations are another one to hit. We had a group of home schoolers come for our last encampment at Marietta that were from Andrews AFB. Again, I've had a hard time getting through to those people but I'll try and dig up the contact info.

      We should probably hand out flyers at our Fall encampment. It's a bit far in advance, but we can get the word out and remind people later on.

      At Poplar Hill, we also list in the Penny Saver and have a fax list of churches and other orgs that will list our event in their bulletins or newsletters. Again, Susan at Marietta probably has a similar list that we can use.

      Deb