celt wool?

  • Tiberius Claudius Lupus
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
      if one to say put a celt gear together, what kinda wool are we talking
      about? solid, plaids?
    • Julie Brooks
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
        They wore alot of plaids

        Julie
        La Wren's Nest

        >if one to say put a celt gear together, what kinda wool are we talking
        >about? solid, plaids?

      • Deb Fuller
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
          At 10:34 PM 1/1/2006 -0500, you wrote:
          They wore alot of plaids

          And the more you can make your plaids clash, the better. The whole clan tartan thing was basically invented by the Victorians so don't worry about using "official" tartans. In fact, generic plaids are better esp. if you have some wisea** come by and try to pick apart your tartans.

          There is an "enemies of Rome" section on RAT and I think a whole Celtic easyboard where people can give you more specifics.

          deb
        • Joanne Shaver
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
            Salvete! Merlinia Ambrosia here, with info-

            Plaids are a little later; try large (2"x2")checks, stripes going around
            the body, hound'stooth, herringbone, and a large double hound's tooth
            that looks like a pinwheel (very hard to find anymore- I only have 2
            pieces, and I've been looking for 31 years (!).)
            As for colour- the old Irish Brehon Laws tell how many colours a
            person may wear (look them up), and which are reserved for certain
            professions. As to shades, get a good colour picture of a carpet page
            from a Celtic manuscript- Book of Kells is my choice. If it's there,
            wear it.
            BTW- electric pink and lime green could then & can now be gotten from
            plants and lichens.
            Read some Roman accounts of what celts wore- Boudicca comes to mind.
            Wool can be fine to thick, depending on it's use. Also include Linnen
            and (if you're rich) cotton and a bit of silk. btw- celts invented
            underwear, too.

            Valete! and Nadolig Llawen!
            -M.

            Tiberius Claudius Lupus wrote:
            > if one to say put a celt gear together, what kinda wool are we talking
            > about? solid, plaids?
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Julie Brooks
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
              Salve
              Do you have any picture of the double hound's tooth? I do not think I have
              ever seen that weave or the hound's tooth for that matter. If so I can keep
              an eye out for it at the older place I shop.

              Regards,

              Julie & Lawrence Brooks, Owners
              La Wren's Nest

              >From: Joanne Shaver <merlinia@...>
              >To: romandays@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [romandays] celt wool?
              >Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 09:34:30 -0500
              >
              >Salvete! Merlinia Ambrosia here, with info-
              >
              >Plaids are a little later; try large (2"x2")checks, stripes going around
              >the body, hound'stooth, herringbone, and a large double hound's tooth
              >that looks like a pinwheel (very hard to find anymore- I only have 2
              >pieces, and I've been looking for 31 years (!).)
              >As for colour- the old Irish Brehon Laws tell how many colours a
              >person may wear (look them up), and which are reserved for certain
              >professions. As to shades, get a good colour picture of a carpet page
              >from a Celtic manuscript- Book of Kells is my choice. If it's there,
              >wear it.
              > BTW- electric pink and lime green could then & can now be gotten from
              >plants and lichens.
              > Read some Roman accounts of what celts wore- Boudicca comes to mind.
              >Wool can be fine to thick, depending on it's use. Also include Linnen
              >and (if you're rich) cotton and a bit of silk. btw- celts invented
              >underwear, too.
              >
              >Valete! and Nadolig Llawen!
              >-M.
              >

              >Tiberius Claudius Lupus wrote:
              > > if one to say put a celt gear together, what kinda wool are we talking
              > > about? solid, plaids?
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Julie Brooks
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                There's quite a few people in the SCA that sell wool that may be
                comprarable. Wren picked up a black and yellow ochre check type pattern
                that goes well for early period. There is an SCA merchant webring that I
                think can be accessed off the main sca site? Merlina, you've beena round
                the SCA for quite some time, you may know some merchants who may have
                something that could work.

                Regards,

                Julie
                La Wren's Nest

                >From: Joanne Shaver <merlinia@...>
                >To: romandays@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [romandays] celt wool?
                >Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 09:34:30 -0500
                >
                >Salvete! Merlinia Ambrosia here, with info-
                >
                >Plaids are a little later; try large (2"x2")checks, stripes going around
                >the body, hound'stooth, herringbone, and a large double hound's tooth
                >that looks like a pinwheel (very hard to find anymore- I only have 2
                >pieces, and I've been looking for 31 years (!).)
                >As for colour- the old Irish Brehon Laws tell how many colours a
                >person may wear (look them up), and which are reserved for certain
                >professions. As to shades, get a good colour picture of a carpet page
                >from a Celtic manuscript- Book of Kells is my choice. If it's there,
                >wear it.
                > BTW- electric pink and lime green could then & can now be gotten from
                >plants and lichens.
                > Read some Roman accounts of what celts wore- Boudicca comes to mind.
                >Wool can be fine to thick, depending on it's use. Also include Linnen
                >and (if you're rich) cotton and a bit of silk. btw- celts invented
                >underwear, too.
                >
                >Valete! and Nadolig Llawen!
                >-M.
                >

                >Tiberius Claudius Lupus wrote:
                > > if one to say put a celt gear together, what kinda wool are we talking
                > > about? solid, plaids?
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Joanne Shaver
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                  I don't have pictures of the 'pinwheel',just the cloaks. Will you be up
                  at Birka? I will, and will bring the material. I'll try to get it's
                  photo & get it up here, too.

                  I'm not an internet surfer, and know no SCA webrings.

                  I hope to see you soon!
                  -M.

                  Julie Brooks wrote:
                  > There's quite a few people in the SCA that sell wool that may be
                  > comprarable. Wren picked up a black and yellow ochre check type pattern
                  > that goes well for early period. There is an SCA merchant webring that I
                  > think can be accessed off the main sca site? Merlina, you've beena round
                  > the SCA for quite some time, you may know some merchants who may have
                  > something that could work.
                  >

                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Julie
                  > La Wren's Nest
                  >

                  >>From: Joanne Shaver <merlinia@...>
                  >>To: romandays@yahoogroups.com
                  >>Subject: Re: [romandays] celt wool?
                  >>Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 09:34:30 -0500
                  >>
                  >>Salvete! Merlinia Ambrosia here, with info-
                  >>
                  >>Plaids are a little later; try large (2"x2")checks, stripes going around
                  >>the body, hound'stooth, herringbone, and a large double hound's tooth
                  >>that looks like a pinwheel (very hard to find anymore- I only have 2
                  >>pieces, and I've been looking for 31 years (!).)
                  >>As for colour- the old Irish Brehon Laws tell how many colours a
                  >>person may wear (look them up), and which are reserved for certain
                  >>professions. As to shades, get a good colour picture of a carpet page
                  >
                  >>from a Celtic manuscript- Book of Kells is my choice. If it's there,
                  >
                  >>wear it.
                  >> BTW- electric pink and lime green could then & can now be gotten from
                  >>plants and lichens.
                  >> Read some Roman accounts of what celts wore- Boudicca comes to mind.
                  >>Wool can be fine to thick, depending on it's use. Also include Linnen
                  >>and (if you're rich) cotton and a bit of silk. btw- celts invented
                  >>underwear, too.
                  >>
                  >>Valete! and Nadolig Llawen!
                  >>-M.
                  >>

                  >>Tiberius Claudius Lupus wrote:
                  >>
                  >>>if one to say put a celt gear together, what kinda wool are we talking
                  >>>about? solid, plaids?
                  >>>

                  >>>Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Julie Brooks
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                    Yup, we'll be at Birka. See you there!

                    Julie

                    >From: Joanne Shaver <merlinia@...>
                    >To: romandays@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [romandays] celt wool?
                    >Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:20:41 -0500
                    >
                    >I don't have pictures of the 'pinwheel',just the cloaks. Will you be up
                    >at Birka? I will, and will bring the material. I'll try to get it's
                    >photo & get it up here, too.
                    >
                    >I'm not an internet surfer, and know no SCA webrings.
                    >
                    >I hope to see you soon!
                    > -M.
                    >
                    >Julie Brooks wrote:
                    > > There's quite a few people in the SCA that sell wool that may be
                    > > comprarable. Wren picked up a black and yellow ochre check type pattern
                    > > that goes well for early period. There is an SCA merchant webring that
                    > > think can be accessed off the main sca site? Merlina, you've beena
                    >round
                    > > the SCA for quite some time, you may know some merchants who may have
                    > > something that could work.
                    > >

                    > > Regards,
                    > >
                    > > Julie
                    > > La Wren's Nest
                    > >

                    > >>From: Joanne Shaver <merlinia@...>
                    > >>To: romandays@yahoogroups.com
                    > >>Subject: Re: [romandays] celt wool?
                    > >>Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 09:34:30 -0500
                    > >>
                    > >>Salvete! Merlinia Ambrosia here, with info-
                    > >>
                    > >>Plaids are a little later; try large (2"x2")checks, stripes going around
                    > >>the body, hound'stooth, herringbone, and a large double hound's tooth
                    > >>that looks like a pinwheel (very hard to find anymore- I only have 2
                    > >>pieces, and I've been looking for 31 years (!).)
                    > >>As for colour- the old Irish Brehon Laws tell how many colours a
                    > >>person may wear (look them up), and which are reserved for certain
                    > >>professions. As to shades, get a good colour picture of a carpet page
                    > >
                    > >>from a Celtic manuscript- Book of Kells is my choice. If it's there,
                    > >
                    > >>wear it.
                    > >> BTW- electric pink and lime green could then & can now be gotten from
                    > >>plants and lichens.
                    > >> Read some Roman accounts of what celts wore- Boudicca comes to mind.
                    > >>Wool can be fine to thick, depending on it's use. Also include Linnen
                    > >>and (if you're rich) cotton and a bit of silk. btw- celts invented
                    > >>underwear, too.
                    > >>
                    > >>Valete! and Nadolig Llawen!
                    > >>-M.

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Julia Passamonti-Colamartino
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                      Salve Merlinia!
                      I'll look forward to seeing you at Birka, it's been a long time. I
                      am going to be vending for the first time there this year, and will
                      have Roman as well as some new Byzantine stuff. I am also bringing
                      Italian Ren maiolica and a couple of Turkish Isnik pieces. : )
                      Needless to say, I'm up to my elbows in clay.
                    • Nathan Bell
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                        Have to differ a bit with Merlinia here. Celts definitely had
                        plaids. The cloth found at both Halstatt and Durnnberg salt mines
                        were plaids, varying width stripes that make squares, 2 and 3 color,
                        unquestionably plaid. The Halstatt fabric had a herringbone
                        background pattern, with plaid on top of that. Don't ask me how that
                        was woven, beyond my ken :)

                        Since this cloth was worn by salt-miners, probably safe to say a
                        higher class Briton or Gaul could afford plaid with more colors.

                        Check out the book "Halstatt Textiles (2005)"---a symposium on the
                        Halstatt textiles, and also new developments in Western
                        celtic/barbarian textiles in general. In in you can see the plaids,
                        as well as very complex tablet weaving, and the various colors that
                        could be obtained through natural dyes, etc.

                        One article even has an extensive find list of *all* celtic textile
                        finds up to 2005, Halstatt to late La Tene era.

                        Cheers,
                        Nate

                        --- In romandays@yahoogroups.com, Joanne Shaver <merlinia@c...> wrote:

                        > Salvete! Merlinia Ambrosia here, with info-
                        >
                        > Plaids are a little later; try large (2"x2")checks, stripes going
                        around
                        > the body, hound'stooth, herringbone, and a large double hound's
                        tooth
                        > that looks like a pinwheel (very hard to find anymore- I only have
                        2
                        > pieces, and I've been looking for 31 years (!).)
                        > As for colour- the old Irish Brehon Laws tell how many colours a
                        > person may wear (look them up), and which are reserved for certain
                        > professions. As to shades, get a good colour picture of a carpet
                        page
                        > from a Celtic manuscript- Book of Kells is my choice. If it's there,
                        > wear it.
                        > BTW- electric pink and lime green could then & can now be gotten
                        from
                        > plants and lichens.
                        > Read some Roman accounts of what celts wore- Boudicca comes to
                        mind.
                        > Wool can be fine to thick, depending on it's use. Also include
                        Linnen
                        > and (if you're rich) cotton and a bit of silk. btw- celts invented
                        > underwear, too.
                        >
                        > Valete! and Nadolig Llawen!
                        > -M.
                        >

                        > Tiberius Claudius Lupus wrote:
                        > > if one to say put a celt gear together, what kinda wool are we
                        talking
                        > > about? solid, plaids?
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Joanne Shaver
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                          Sorry, Nate;
                          I know a simple check is a plaid, but I was speaking
                          of the very 'busy' fabrics today called plaids, but are actually
                          tartans. What I should have said is, no Royal Stuart type setts.
                          To do the herringbone & plaid, here goes- the herringbone (like
                          hound's tooth & that pinwheel) are done with the threads- it's how each
                          thread
                          goes under or over the others. Look at a solid sweater that has a cable
                          knitted in- same thing. Now if you set up your loom with alternating
                          blue and grey, 5 of each up & down, and then do the threads across
                          the same, depending on which ones are manipulated, will give the hounds
                          tooth
                          weave, and the colours of the threads will give the pattern.

                          I will definately find the book you suggested! I don't usually go that
                          early. (no snug villas then!)
                          -M.

                        • Joanne Shaver
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                            Huzzah! And I'll bring the wine to put in the cups!-M.
                            PS- Patricia & Cassius will be there, too!