Roman cheese?

  • debfuller@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005

      Hey gang,

      Just discovered a new cheese shop in Alexandria: Cheesetique: http://www.cheesetique.com/index.php

      I was going to pop in and ask her if she has any appropriate Roman cheeses. She's got loads of Italian cheeses so I assume at least some of them will be appropriate for our time period. If so, maybe we can do a cheese tasting fund-raiser and get her to donate some cheese for Roman Days.

      Mmmm...cheese.

      Deb

    • Richard Campbell
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hopefully can stop by and pick some up for fabrica this Saturday.

        > Just discovered a new cheese shop in Alexandria: Cheesetique:
        http://www.cheesetique.com/index.php
        > I was going to pop in and ask her if she has any appropriate Roman cheeses.
        She's got loads of Italian cheeses so I assume at least some of them will be
        appropriate for our time period. If so, maybe we can do a cheese tasting
        fund-raiser and get her to donate some cheese for Roman Days.
        > Mmmm...cheese.
        > Deb
      • Joanne Shaver
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
          Salvete! Merlinia here-
          'Roman Table Cheese' is usually made from goat/sheep milk, and if you
          get it from the Campagnia area, you're set. (That's what I get for Roman
          Days)
          Yes, that's what it says on the label.
          Valete!
          -M.

        • debfuller@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005

            >>Salvete! Merlinia here-
            'Roman Table Cheese' is usually made from goat/sheep milk, and if you get it from the Campagnia area, you're set. (That's what I get for Roman Days)
            Yes, that's what it says on the label.
            I stopped in the other day and she definitely had a wide range of goat and sheep cheeses so I'm sure one of those is from the Campagnia area. I asked her about making a donation and she said that she'd consider it but mainly sticks to women and children's charities. I still think a cheese tasting would be a great idea so it might be something we can plan.

            Deb
          • Sean
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005

              Guys and gals,

              Forgive me if this is not the right forum but I have a tough rust spot on my shield boss I can’t get rid of.  Never dull and 3-in-1 oil plus vigorous scrubbing with a green scrub dish sponge doesn’t do the trick, only dulls it.

              Should I buy some sort of steel brush, attach it to my drill and literally peel away that layer of steel?

              -Belasarius

            • Richard Campbell
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
                I have no qualms with steel brushes. Have you just tried coarse sandpaper?

                > Forgive me if this is not the right forum but I have a tough rust spot
                > on my shield boss I can't get rid of. Never dull and 3-in-1 oil plus
                > vigorous scrubbing with a green scrub dish sponge doesn't do the trick,
                > only dulls it.
                >
                > Should I buy some sort of steel brush, attach it to my drill and
                > literally peel away that layer of steel?
                >
                > -Belasarius
                > _____

              • Legion XXIV
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2005
                  You could try what the Romans probably used - fire ashes and urine.
                  It does work, because I tried it, but not as well as WD-40.
                  I would use WD-40 and green Scotch-Brite, keeping the action close to the problem area.
                  It will scratch or dull a polished surface, but it sounds like you need an aggressive approach to the problem.
                  A follow-up with Never-Dull and felt or white Scotch-Brite will help to buff out the scratching.

                  Gallio Marsallas - Legion XXIV