Introduction

  • Glenn Thacker
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2013

      Salvete omnes!

      My name is Glenn Thacker (or Gaius Decius Laterensis, if you prefer). I'm from Bellaire, OH. It's a small town on Ohio's border with West Virginia. I'm hoping to attend Roman Days this year, since I've got some vacation time coming up. The event looks like a lot of fun, and definitely a good way to burn some paid vacation time.

      I've never done any reenacting before, but it's something I'm very much interested in. The main things that have been keeping me out is the expense for buying all the necessary equipment, and the lack of any Legions close enough to me to allow for any real participation.

      Optime valete!

      C. Decius Laterensis (Glenn Thacker)

    • Deb Fuller
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2013
        On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Glenn Thacker <rajuc47@...> wrote:

        > My name is Glenn Thacker (or Gaius Decius Laterensis, if you prefer). I'm
        > from Bellaire, OH. It's a small town on Ohio's border with West Virginia.
        > I'm hoping to attend Roman Days this year, since I've got some vacation time
        > coming up. The event looks like a lot of fun, and definitely a good way to
        > burn some paid vacation time.

        Awesome!! The more, the merrier!! Will you be coming for Friday and Saturday?

        > I've never done any reenacting before, but it's something I'm very much interested in. The main things that have been keeping me out is the expense
        > for buying all the necessary equipment, and the lack of any Legions close enough to me to allow for any real participation.

        Don't worry about equipment. Plenty of people have spares. Legio XIIII
        used to be out your way. Anyone have any contacts with them? And if
        you do, ask them why they hell they haven't been to RD in ages.

        You can start by making yourself a tunic. Linen isn't that expensive
        and a tunic is easy to make. With a tunic, you can easily borrow a
        belt and a sling and be an auxiliary slinger.

        Hope to see you out for RD!!

        Deb
      • A. Tullia Scholastica
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2013
          Re: [romandays] Introduction

           A. Tullia Scholastica C. Decio Laterensi omnibusque S.P.D.

          Salvete omnes! My name is Glenn Thacker (or Gaius Decius Laterensis, if you prefer).  I'm from Bellaire, OH.  It's a small town on Ohio's border with West Virginia.  I'm hoping to attend Roman Days this year, since I've got some vacation time coming up.  The event looks like a lot of fun, and definitely a good way to burn some paid vacation time. I've never done any reenacting before, but it's something I'm very much interested in.  The main things that have been keeping me out is the expense for buying all the necessary equipment, and the lack of any Legions close enough to me to allow for any real participation.

              ATS:  It is not necessary to purchase or wear reenactor equipment to attend Roman Days, but if you feel like being a Legionary For a Day, Macro / Matt from Legio XX may be able to lend you some kosher for Passover, super-authentic Roman gear.  He makes his own armor, after all, and it is gorgeous.  There are suppliers for Roman clothing, too, but it is easy to make a Roman tunica.  Essentially they are giant pillowcases with some rips in the seams (though we merely leave apertures for the head and arms, not rip out seams once sewn), and a rectangle of cloth will do for a pallium (non-citizen cloak).  The toga is a little more difficult, and a lot pricier, but even they come in cheaper than armor.  Suppliers should be listed on one or more of the legionary websites.  However, as above, you or a lady friend could easily make a tunica and a pallium, and you would be more or less all set.  There are Celts and Greeks and others floating around Roman Days; it is not necessary to look like Caesar or Cicero or Augustus to show up there.  Sounding like Caesar, Cicero, or Augustus is a bonus, however...  ;-))) Often there are some classicists around there, for reasons I can’t quite understand.  :-D  They have been known to speak Latin...

              Even with borrowed attire, however, you may have to get some training in order to be allowed to march with the soldiers...

              Wish I could be there, but in recent years, that has been impossible, and the timing is not good for our schools up north; they are still in session until the end of June.

          Optime valete! C. Decius Laterensis (Glenn Thacker)

          Vale, et valete!

        • George Metz
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2013

            Gallio of Legion XXIV could have some extra Roman gear for loan, if he know it will be used.

            Gallio  Legion XXIV

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2013

              Let us know what you need. Many of us have enough loaner equipment to help you. You may contact me at rzienta@...

              Best regards,