RE: [Legio_IX_Right_Coast] A Roman Event in the Mid-Lant

  • William Cunningham
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2010

      Any decent sized park would be good for a private event.  In fact, contacting parks and schmoozing with park managers is a great idea anyway because it will help pave the ground for any future events that you may want to host.  The canal sounds like a good idea, and I hope you do not run into the same headaches we did in planning something around DC.

      If the point is to get in shape, a private event is best.  Especially if we are marching and not staying in one place.   There are a lot of parks in VA that would be perfect and likely open for a private event.  Ron - I discussed briefly on our trip to Castra doing something in Virginia - outside the DC area.  I looked at some of the options with regard to state parks and below is what I came up with.  Feel free to look into any of them.

      Newport News Park

       This park one of the largest municipal parks in the country. This magnificent 8,000 acre park is open sunrise to sunset daily, year-round and offers camping, boating, fishing and hosts a variety of festivals throughout the year. Phone: (757) 886-7912, 1-800-203-8322.

      York River State Park

      This park is known for its rare and delicate environment, where freshwater and saltwater meet to create a habitat rich in marine and plant life. The main focus of the park is to preserve a portion of York River frontage and its related marshes while providing an area for passive day-use recreation for visitors. York River State Park served as a role model for all of Virginia’s state parks in developing resource management plans. The park’s natural resources make it a significant place for environmental education at all levels. Phone: 1-800-933-PARK.

      Lee Hall

      230 acres. Large mouth bass and chain pickerel are the main catches. Boat rentals at one end of the reservoir and a fishing pier at the other end. Located inside of Newport News Park.

      Phone: 757.886.7912

      Chippokes Plantation

      http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/chi.shtml

      Westmoreland State Park