Re: [romandays] MANY Thanks!

  • Richard Campbell
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008

      Salvete!

      And let me add that there would be no Roman Days at all, nor would most of us be in this hobby, if it weren't for Matthew Amt starting this up so many years ago.

      Three cheers!

      Richard Campbell

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
        Avete, indeed!

            To all of my brothers and sisters of  Mother Roma, I would like to extend the utmost sincere thanks for pulling off what in my humble opinion, was one of the best Roman Days yet.  I echo my brother Matt Amt's recognition of Richard Campbell and his lovely wife Allison in their Herculean efforts to make this happen, and special acknowledgement must be universally given to Deb Fuller for all that she has done to make Roman Days a continuing reality. So too, to Alec Cunningham and Dan Ziedler, Rusty Meyers, as well as the many other people, too numerous to name,   who made this event so special and gratifying.

            For me, after my hiatus from reenacting, and my successful battle with the most dangerous opponent I have faced so far in life, this was a revitalizing and re-energizing experience.  The sight of all but one of our members of the Ludus Magnus Gladiatores, (Gaius the Timid) on site and ready to go literally brought a tear or two to this old gladiator's eyes.  I also want to thank all my brothers and sisters for your many kind thoughts and expressions for my continued good health, and such very warm "welcome backs."

            As usual, and cheerfully at that, we ignored the threat of rain and an overwhelming wave of students on friday, and rallied brilliantly to the cause. The warmth and cameraderie at the feast on Saturday night was contagious, and reinforced for me that the only "down side" to having these events at all is that regrettably they must come to an end.

            Historical reenacting, in any period, takes dedication, focus and most of all, commitment.  As I watch the ranks of soldiers growing, and the gladiator school maintaining its presence  (It ain't easy to find someone of any age crazy enought to do what we do, so thus we grow more slowly), my heart is filled with joy that Rome now has a solid and credible presence in N. Americanus.
        As I relaxed in the baths (My hotel actually had "Roman" style tiles in the whirlpool bath!!!!!!!!) after the event, I was taken back in time, and almost needed surgery to remove the fixed, stupid grin on my face.  As I took inventory of the many abrasions, cuts, contusions and general skid marks on my body, always the benchmark for me of a successful series of engagements, I chuckled with delight.

            It was also a pleasure to meet our brothers from the north, men I had not met before, and to be so warmly recieved by them.  The sight of new faces, new impressions, and the reality of fresh energy warmed my bloodthirsty heart.  We are a special group of people, crazy to some, an enigma to others, but we alone know why we do this and why we always will.  We honor a magnificent society, one that, as I always say in my oral presentation to the "mob,"  still reaches forward in time to touch and affect us all.  Even we, the gladiators, who show the dark side of Roma, present what we do without apology or excuses.  We show Rome in all its glory and brutality, because Rome was a more honest society, nothing like the politically correct mess we are all forced to endure living in today.  What we do is important, and we do it so very well.

            Last, but most certainly not least, special acknowledgment must be given to my friend and brother Matt Amt, whose vision started this whole thing.  Matt, you truly are the patriarch of Roman reenacting in this country.  Also too, the unwavering dedication of George Metz, who humps the hump every time, laden with enough gear to outfit a full century must be applauded.

            My friends, thank you for embracing the Ludus Magnus Gladiatores, and welcoming us so warmly into this special "thing of ours." We commit to the future, and this gladiator, at 55, still has enough pluck to fight at least another five or so years, before I retire to the role of the crusty old lanistae, but be assured that I will participate until I can no longer stand.  I know my men and ladies in the gladiator school feel the same way.

            We love you all, and embrace you.  Please stay in touch, and let us know how we can be of service in the future.  Richard, also too, count me in for the repair session on the Capuona.  In a prior life, I was a housepainter, so I am pleased to offer my services as well.

            What more can I say? BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        With Strength and Honor and in service to the cause, I bid you all thanks, and much appreciation for who you all are.

        My best to you all,

        John J. Ebel
        a.k.a. Maximus Mercurius Gladius, Summus Palus
                 Ludus Magnus Gladiatores Reenacting Group

[...]

      • DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS

          --
          DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
          a.k.a.: Marsh Wise (tired of reenactor politics and BS)

          -LEGIO IX HISPANA "PENNA Chapter"

          Read my Blog (bore yourself): <http://www.reenactor.net/rnet_admin/marsh/marshblog.html>

          Websitarius:
          -reenactor.Net: http://www.reenactor.net/
          -Legio IX Hispana Pennsylvania Chapter -- <http://www.reenactor.net/units/leg_ix_penna/>

          Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze

          Yahoo Messenger screen name: sturmkatze

          Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.

          "A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

          Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself. ~Mark Twain

          *Last: Hey Dammit! Have you visited the reenactor.Net FORvMS? If not, WHY NOT?
          Gett your butt over to: http://www.reenactor.net/forums/index.php right now!
        • Quinton Johansen
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
            To Everyone - DITTO on Matt Amt's and others' comments. Richard and
            Deb pulled together a great weekend with all the logistics of working
            with GMU and the Latin teachers/schools. Allison and the ladies
            pulled off great and plentiful food for us "locusts" and added an
            important civilian(& feminine) element to our overall presentation.
            It was a great pleasure to finally meet Rusty (and his wife!) after
            hearing and seeing so much about them.
            Of course, I look forward to ANY excuse to get into my Roman armor
            and become a Roman soldier for a time.
            Friday was an experience, hurding all those "cats". The students for
            the most part took things in stride; some at least made a good try at
            keeping to their lines and following orders. They had an awesome
            opportunity to experience something through our love of Ancient Rome,
            which comes to few here in the US. I was proud to be a part of it.
            To see John Ebel back in the gladitorial mode was wonderful.
            A special thanks goes to the Centurio (of my own Legio III Cyrenaica)
            and 2 Optiones who drilled the rest of us over Saturday and Sunday.
            Matt could then do what he does very well - talk to the public -
            while we marched about "in squares".
            It is always sad to see an event end, but I will have lots of
            memories (including the cops breaking up the party at Richard's
            Sunday evening).
            Always good to see my friends from Legio XX and Legio XXIV and Legio
            XXX and meet new (to me) legions' members.
            I am looking forward to seeing more photos, etc.

            Thanks!!!

            Quinton/Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio (an ordinary legionary on
            Saturday and Sunday) Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae

            --- In romandays@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Amt <amtwalker@...> wrote:

            > Avete!
            >
            > WOW, in a word. What a weekend, and WHAT an amazing bunch of
            people you all are! I mean, I always thought I was crazy, but it is
            incredibly warming to see so many good folks go to such great effort
            to be crazy right along with me. YOU made this event what it is. I
            cannot thank you all enough.

            > Special Notice must be made of the amazing labor performed by
            Richard Campbell and Deb Fuller, our chief organizers, and to Allison
            Campbell (and her helpers!) who performed logistical miracles to feed
            us so well, and to Alec Cunningham and Dan Zeidler who also planned
            and plotted brilliantly, and to Beth Campbell and Donna Winstanly and
            the other teachers who bravely brought just a few of their eager
            Latin students on Friday. Thanks also to the faculty and
            administration of George Mason University for letting us trample
            their lawns for a weekend.

            > Thanks to my own Legio XX for an excellent turnout!
            >
            > All things considered, it really seemed to me like everything
            went darn well. Yes, the masses of students threatened to swamp us,
            and the rain threatened to swamp us, and the chickens threatened to
            swamp us (or at least Mike), but hey, it was educational and FUN all
            around. Next year, even better.

            > I hope everyone got home safely with minimal rust and mildew!
            >
            > Thank you again,
            >
            > Matthew/Quintus, Legio XX

          • MICHAEL HEENAN
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
              To Rich, Deb, Merlina, Matt, and the many others that put this Event together - Great Job!

              The vexillation from Legio III Cyrenaica, really had a good time.  You all did it up proud.  I'm sorry that there wasn't much we could do besides show up, but even with only that, we had a blast.

              I felt honored to be chosen to drill the Legionary and Auxiliary Infantry for the Saturday demos.  I appreciated Matt allowing me that privilage.  Everyone did a good job for men that, for the most part, only met that morning.  I will always treasure those moments.  Thank you!

              Friday, though hectic, was handled very well.  Rich, you out did yourself, outstanding.  I know that the teachers and students that I talked with really enjoyed the whole experience.  Herding cats?  Yes, but good cats!

              It was good to see Rusty, George, Sam, Julie and Lawrence, Deb, Matt, Marsh, Quinton (who was outstanding as my OPTIO), John and his Gladiators, and all the rest of you wonderful, talented and clever people.

              Looking forward to more photos!

              Obviously, I'm excited about next year.  I'm hoping for a larger representation from Nova Britannia and Legioi III Cyrenaica.

              Until then, my friends, may God and the gods watch over you and protect you.

              Sincerely

              C Patricius Attacottus Vallavantinius (Mike Heenan)
              Pilus Prior
              Legio III Cyrenaica
              Caesar's Conquerors

> [...]

              Campbell (and her helpers!) who performed logistical miracles to feed
              us so well, and to Alec Cunningham and Dan Zeidler who also planned
              and plotted brilliantly, and to Beth Campbell and Donna Winstanly and
              the other teachers who bravely brought just a few of their eager
              Latin students on Friday. Thanks also to the faculty and
              administration of George Mason University for letting us trample
              their lawns for a weekend.

              > Thanks to my own Legio XX for an excellent turnout!
              >
              > All things considered, it really seemed to me like everything
              went darn well. Yes, the masses of students threatened to swamp us,
              and the rain threatened to swamp us, and the chickens threatened to
              swamp us (or at least Mike), but hey, it was educational and FUN all
              around. Next year, even better.

              > I hope everyone got home safely with minimal rust and mildew!

            • Legion XXIV
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008

                As has been said by many, Roman Days 2008 turned out to be a great event, despite the damp weather.
                I was skeptical of the site when the planning was going on, but it proved to be a very good and convenient location.  Real toilets near by.  Close-in parking.  Motels close to the site.  Tons of kids on Friday!
                The Return of the Mighty Maximus and the Ludus School.  The many fellow Romans from Legions II, III, VI, IX, XX and XXX.  Too many to mention by name, plus I apologize, that I don't remember all the names.

                Great thanks and real gratitude go out to Rich, Deb, Dan, Matt and so many more for pulling everything together, much of it in the last few days.

                As usual, the catapulta proved to be a crowd pleaser, despite being shut down by the campus police after we hit the porta-potty on Friday.

                The biggest hassle was getting there through the traffic on Thursday afternoon, but next year, I plan to come around the "bottom end" over the "WW" Bridge.  It is longer, but may be a lot less trouble with traffic.
                With the massive back-up on I-495 on Sunday evening, I turned around and went back south and around the bottom of Washington and I don't think I lost that much time.  It may have been faster, even without the traffic jam and longer distance.  Something for you to consider next year.

                Again, many kudus to all who planned and came to RD-2008.  Now we have to start thinking about RD-2009!  Oh - Raaa!!

                Gallio / George  Legion XXIV.

> [...]

                Campbell (and her helpers!) who performed logistical miracles to feed
                us so well, and to Alec Cunningham and Dan Zeidler who also planned
                and plotted brilliantly, and to Beth Campbell and Donna Winstanly and
                the other teachers who bravely brought just a few of their eager
                Latin students on Friday. Thanks also to the faculty and
                administration of George Mason University for letting us trample
                their lawns for a weekend.

                > Thanks to my own Legio XX for an excellent turnout!
                >
                > All things considered, it really seemed to me like everything
                went darn well. Yes, the masses of students threatened to swamp us,
                and the rain threatened to swamp us, and the chickens threatened to
                swamp us (or at least Mike), but hey, it was educational and FUN all
                around. Next year, even better.

                > I hope everyone got home safely with minimal rust and mildew!

              • Venetian Cat Studio
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008
                  The cops broke up the party?  COOL!!  Must have been fun!

                • debfuller@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008

                    From: Venetian Cat Studio bast1959@...

                    >>The cops broke up the party?  COOL!!  Must have been fun!

                    Yep. Then Allison drunk-dialed her son and left him a message about it.  :)

                    deb

                  • Richard Campbell
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008
                      No, I dialed my son, who as a cop appreciates that sort of thing.