Amy High day postscript

  • Richard Campbell
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11, 2008
      Although it started out looking very unpromising, the day turned out
      very well with many high school Latin students showing up. My daughter
      Beth had 15 of her students turn up just for her. Seems like everyone
      was engaged pretty much from 11am until 5pm, and the rain held off.

      We were discussing this at the post-party, and we thought there were
      some strong points that can be copied for later use:

      1. the passport: students were given these to get stamped for extra
      credit. Since most didn't drive, their parents also engaged.

      2. painting shields: kids loved this one. Not exactly what we always
      do, but engaged the kids and their parents.

      3. Mora: had 20 boards and Linda seemed to keep several players going
      all afternoon. Originally the organizer wanted to sell these, but that
      detail got lost in the shuffle.

      4. An organizer of the Festa Italiana Foundation talked to us, and
      they have an event July 29.
      http://www.festaitalianadc.com/index_08.html Alec sent me the email
      which we'll forward separately. They have connections iwith the
      Italian Embassy as a sponsor, which may work for RD.

      This was a kind of warm up with the Latin teachers of northern
      Virgnia, and cooperating with them for RD will probably bring in 600
      students as they estimate. Not sure how many were here for AHD, but at
      least 100.

      The organizers and Latin sponsors of AHD were very happy with our
      participation, which I suggested would follow into help with RD in
      September.

      Susan Schulze will help us get the correct contact at George Mason
      University, and I will follow that up this week.

      Other thoughts on AMD?
    • debfuller@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 10 , May 11, 2008

        > Other thoughts on AMD?

        The food ROCKED!! The owner of Tempo restaurant made some historical dishes out of like a 13th century Roman cookbook which were incredibly yummy. (And dingbat me left my leftovers at Rich and Allison's. Oh well.) She'd be interested in doing Roman Days. Merlinia could give her recipies and she could vend as well as help out with the feast.

        For next year, I'd suggest having some set demo times which will draw the majority of the public and give the rest of us a break. There was a steady stream of people all day long and it was hard to get a break as well as get something to eat. We could also combine things like the food, spinning and games/mourning into something like "domestic arts" that me, Linda, and Allison could cover together and rotate the primary presenter.
        The guy from VMI was cool. I got his card and I think he'd do Roman Days for us. Fred will have ballista envy.  :)

        Deb

      • ln203@patriot.net
        Message 3 of 10 , May 12, 2008
          Hello Richard,

          I went to the website for the Festa Italiana Foundation event and it has
          the date as 29 June not 29 July.

          I just wanted to point this out in case some people don't look at the
          website and just pin in the date based on your email.

          One suggestion I would make is that you consider publishing a schedule of
          special events and rotate them throughout the day. The sign with the bell
          on it really didn't appear to work very well.

          Also since the games Linda had appeared to be rather popular, if we had
          more game boards and pieces, then some of us soldiers could play with the
          kids over the course of the day. It would allow more kids to participate.

          Long story short though, I had a great time Saturday and look forward to
          falling out again.

          Cheers,
          Bill

          > Although it started out looking very unpromising, the day turned out
          > very well with many high school Latin students showing up. My daughter
          > Beth had 15 of her students turn up just for her. Seems like everyone
          > was engaged pretty much from 11am until 5pm, and the rain held off.
          >
          > We were discussing this at the post-party, and we thought there were
          > some strong points that can be copied for later use:
          >
          > 1. the passport: students were given these to get stamped for extra
          > credit. Since most didn't drive, their parents also engaged.
          >
          > 2. painting shields: kids loved this one. Not exactly what we always
          > do, but engaged the kids and their parents.
          >
          > 3. Mora: had 20 boards and Linda seemed to keep several players going
          > all afternoon. Originally the organizer wanted to sell these, but that
          > detail got lost in the shuffle.
          >
          > 4. An organizer of the Festa Italiana Foundation talked to us, and
          > they have an event July 29.
          > http://www.festaitalianadc.com/index_08.html Alec sent me the email
          > which we'll forward separately. They have connections iwith the
          > Italian Embassy as a sponsor, which may work for RD.
          >
          > This was a kind of warm up with the Latin teachers of northern
          > Virgnia, and cooperating with them for RD will probably bring in 600
          > students as they estimate. Not sure how many were here for AHD, but at
          > least 100.
          >
          > The organizers and Latin sponsors of AHD were very happy with our
          > participation, which I suggested would follow into help with RD in
          > September.
          >
          > Susan Schulze will help us get the correct contact at George Mason
          > University, and I will follow that up this week.
          >
          > Other thoughts on AMD?

        • Richard Campbell
          Message 4 of 10 , May 12, 2008

            Hi Bill,

            some of those things were the organizer's idea. The passport worked great: the signboard not so great.

            Linda actually had 20 of those boards, and enough game pieces for all of them. We had originally thought they were going to be sold: another glitch, but they are easy to make and I have 20 of them with plenty of blanks left over.

            I went to the website for the Festa Italiana Foundation event and it has
            the date as 29 June not 29 July.

            I just wanted to point this out in case some people don't look at the
            website and just pin in the date based on your email.

            One suggestion I would make is that you consider publishing a schedule of
            special events and rotate them throughout the day. The sign with the bell
            on it really didn't appear to work very well.

            Also since the games Linda had appeared to be rather popular, if we had
            more game boards and pieces, then some of us soldiers could play with the
            kids over the course of the day. It would allow more kids to participate.

            Long story short though, I had a great time Saturday and look forward to
            falling out again.

            Cheers,
            Bill

            > Although it started out looking very unpromising, the day turned out
            > very well with many high school Latin students showing up. My daughter
            > Beth had 15 of her students turn up just for her. Seems like everyone
            > was engaged pretty much from 11am until 5pm, and the rain held off.
            >
            > We were discussing this at the post-party, and we thought there were
            > some strong points that can be copied for later use:
            >
            > 1. the passport: students were given these to get stamped for extra
            > credit. Since most didn't drive, their parents also engaged.
            >
            > 2. painting shields: kids loved this one. Not exactly what we always
            > do, but engaged the kids and their parents.
            >
            > 3. Mora: had 20 boards and Linda seemed to keep several players going
            > all afternoon. Originally the organizer wanted to sell these, but that
            > detail got lost in the shuffle.
            >
            > 4. An organizer of the Festa Italiana Foundation talked to us, and
            > they have an event July 29.
            > http://www.festaitalianadc.com/index_08.html Alec sent me the email
            > which we'll forward separately. They have connections iwith the
            > Italian Embassy as a sponsor, which may work for RD.
            >
            > This was a kind of warm up with the Latin teachers of northern
            > Virgnia, and cooperating with them for RD will probably bring in 600
            > students as they estimate. Not sure how many were here for AHD, but at
            > least 100.
            >
            > The organizers and Latin sponsors of AHD were very happy with our
            > participation, which I suggested would follow into help with RD in
            > September.
            >
            > Susan Schulze will help us get the correct contact at George Mason
            > University, and I will follow that up this week.
            >
            > Other thoughts on AMD?

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:romandays-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:romandays-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Joanne Shaver
            Message 5 of 10 , May 20, 2008
              I have a few Roman & egyptian games made up- will hunt them up in June&
              let you know what they are, & how many of each.
              -M.

              ln203@... wrote:

              > Hello Richard,
              >
              > I went to the website for the Festa Italiana Foundation event and it has
              > the date as 29 June not 29 July.
              >
              > I just wanted to point this out in case some people don't look at the
              > website and just pin in the date based on your email.
              >
              > One suggestion I would make is that you consider publishing a schedule of
              > special events and rotate them throughout the day. The sign with the bell
              > on it really didn't appear to work very well.
              >
              > Also since the games Linda had appeared to be rather popular, if we had
              > more game boards and pieces, then some of us soldiers could play with the
              > kids over the course of the day. It would allow more kids to participate.
              >
              > Long story short though, I had a great time Saturday and look forward to
              > falling out again.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Bill
              >
              > > Although it started out looking very unpromising, the day turned out
              > > very well with many high school Latin students showing up. My daughter
              > > Beth had 15 of her students turn up just for her. Seems like everyone
              > > was engaged pretty much from 11am until 5pm, and the rain held off.
              > >
              > > We were discussing this at the post-party, and we thought there were
              > > some strong points that can be copied for later use:
              > >
              > > 1. the passport: students were given these to get stamped for extra
              > > credit. Since most didn't drive, their parents also engaged.
              > >
              > > 2. painting shields: kids loved this one. Not exactly what we always
              > > do, but engaged the kids and their parents.
              > >
              > > 3. Mora: had 20 boards and Linda seemed to keep several players going
              > > all afternoon. Originally the organizer wanted to sell these, but that
              > > detail got lost in the shuffle.
              > >
              > > 4. An organizer of the Festa Italiana Foundation talked to us, and
              > > they have an event July 29.
              > > http://www.festaitalianadc.com/index_08.html
              > <http://www.festaitalianadc.com/index_08.html> Alec sent me the email
              > > which we'll forward separately. They have connections iwith the
              > > Italian Embassy as a sponsor, which may work for RD.
              > >
              > > This was a kind of warm up with the Latin teachers of northern
              > > Virgnia, and cooperating with them for RD will probably bring in 600
              > > students as they estimate. Not sure how many were here for AHD, but at
              > > least 100.
              > >
              > > The organizers and Latin sponsors of AHD were very happy with our
              > > participation, which I suggested would follow into help with RD in
              > > September.
              > >
              > > Susan Schulze will help us get the correct contact at George Mason
              > > University, and I will follow that up this week.
              > >
              > > Other thoughts on AMD?

            • Joanne Shaver
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 11, 2008
                I just wish you could do it the weekend AFTER Mother's Day!!!
                Then, you'd have one(or 2, as Fiona could make it, too!) more to
                talk up the Domestic stuff.
                (please? you've already taken up Celtic Classic with the new RD)

                I would be honored to get a copy of my favorite Roman cookbooks, mark
                them as to larger (20 to 200) amounts, and give them to said Cook.
                Much as I love to cook, I like eating, too!

              • debfuller@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 11, 2008
                  The weekend after Mother's Day is usually Armed Forces Weekend and the VA schools are knee deep in state tests so they can't do any field trips.

                  deb
                  From: Joanne Shaver <merlinia@...>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 16, 2008
                    Then, how about the weekend before?

                  • debfuller@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 16, 2008

                      From: Joanne Shaver <merlinia@...>

                      > Then, how about the weekend before?
                      All of May is blocked out for SOL tests. They start prepping and doing practice tests at the beginning and then the full tests later in May. Then it's Memorial Day. Horrible timing as I'd like to do an early May event as well but there's no way that we'd get the school participation at that time.  :(

                      deb
                    • Richard Campbell
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
                        I missed the first post, but if it's Amy High day, that's up to Tim Gale to pick the date with Susan Schultze doing all the planning. We can ask about next year.