New to the group

  • Eric Jadaszewski
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi, I've just joined the group. Is anyone doing Hun,Alan, Sythian or
      Sarmatian horsemen from your era? Are you looking for such
      representation in your camps?
    • Richard Campbell
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2005
        Ave Eric,

        Sure, if this is in the time period, we allow other impressions. Matt Amt has
        an entire Greek hoplite impression, and is working on a Mycenean. I think Dan
        Z is doing Chalcedean, or is it Thracian? So sure.

        Richard

        > Hi, I've just joined the group. Is anyone doing Hun,Alan, Sythian or
        > Sarmatian horsemen from your era? Are you looking for such
        > representation in your camps?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Deb Fuller
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2005
          At 01:12 PM 4/1/2005 +0000, you wrote:

          Hi, I've just joined the group.  Is anyone doing Hun,Alan, Sythian or
          Sarmatian horsemen from your era?  Are you looking for such
          representation in your camps?

          Oooh cool!! "Alternate" impressions are most welcome!! We've got one Sammite and like Rich mentioned, our unit commander also does Greek hoplite and Mycenean and Dan Z. does Thracian.

          Let us know what you are doing and if you have pictures, we'll put them up on the site!

          Deb
        • Jeannine R Jadaszewski
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2005
            Hi Deb,
                     I am heavily involved in The Czarniecki Division, a 17th cen Polish Winged Hussar (heavy cavalry) group.  Interestingly enough, our 17th cen. armor has much in common with Roman armor.   Our armor was a direct product of the use of firearms used by our opponents in the 17th cen. but it's style and detail has influences from ancient Rome, Sarmatia and Turkey.
                     Does anyone in your group do Roman period archery?  We do eastern archery along the style of the steppe / horse cultures and we do have a Hun bow which is the first step to doing a Hun or Sarmatian impression.
            Eric

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2005
              At 01:00 PM 4/1/2005 -0500, you wrote:

              > I am heavily involved in The Czarniecki Division, a 17th cen
              > Polish Winged Hussar (heavy cavalry) group. Interestingly enough, our
              > 17th cen. armor has much in common with Roman armor. Our armor was a
              > direct product of the use of firearms used by our opponents in the 17th
              > cen. but it's style and detail has influences from ancient Rome, Sarmatia
              > and Turkey.

              Oh way cool. If you want to bring some of it along and talk about it's
              history and how it relates to Rome, that would be way cool.

              > Does anyone in your group do Roman period archery? We do
              > eastern archery along the style of the steppe / horse cultures and we do
              > have a Hun bow which is the first step to doing a Hun or Sarmatian impression.

              Nope, nor do any of the groups that are coming I think. So please bring
              your bows and arrows too!!

              deb
            • Jeannine R Jadaszewski
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2005
                Where are the groups going, is there an event?
                Eric

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2005
                  Ave Jeannine,

                  If you're asking about RomanDays, yes, Legio XX has several events this year,
                  as well as workshops. Roman Days itself is the first weekend in June, the 3,4
                  5.

                  Richard Campbell

                  > Where are the groups going, is there an event?
                  > Eric
                  >

                  > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:23:45 -0500 Deb Fuller <debfuller@...>
                  > writes:
                  > At 01:00 PM 4/1/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                  >
                  > > I am heavily involved in The Czarniecki Division, a 17th cen
                  > > Polish Winged Hussar (heavy cavalry) group. Interestingly enough, our
                  > > 17th cen. armor has much in common with Roman armor. Our armor was a
                  > > direct product of the use of firearms used by our opponents in the 17th
                  >
                  > > cen. but it's style and detail has influences from ancient Rome,
                  > Sarmatia
                  > > and Turkey.
                  >
                  > Oh way cool. If you want to bring some of it along and talk about it's
                  > history and how it relates to Rome, that would be way cool.
                  >
                  > > Does anyone in your group do Roman period archery? We do
                  > > eastern archery along the style of the steppe / horse cultures and we
                  > do
                  > > have a Hun bow which is the first step to doing a Hun or Sarmatian
                  > impression.
                  >
                  > Nope, nor do any of the groups that are coming I think. So please bring
                  > your bows and arrows too!!
                  >
                  > deb
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jeannine R Jadaszewski

                    > Where are the groups going, is there an event?
                    > Eric
                    >

                    > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:23:45 -0500 Deb Fuller <debfuller@...>
                    > writes:
                    > At 01:00 PM 4/1/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                    >
                    > >         I am heavily involved in The Czarniecki Division, a 17th cen
                    > > Polish Winged Hussar (heavy cavalry) group.  Interestingly enough, our
                    > > 17th cen. armor has much in common with Roman armor.   Our armor was a
                    > > direct product of the use of firearms used by our opponents in the 17th
                    >
                    > > cen. but it's style and detail has influences from ancient Rome,
                    > Sarmatia
                    > > and Turkey.
                    >
                    > Oh way cool. If you want to bring some of it along and talk about it's
                    > history and how it relates to Rome, that would be way cool.
                    >
                    > >          Does anyone in your group do Roman period archery?  We do
                    > > eastern archery along the style of the steppe / horse cultures and we
                    > do
                    > > have a Hun bow which is the first step to doing a Hun or Sarmatian
                    > impression.
                    >
                    > Nope, nor do any of the groups that are coming I think. So please bring
                    > your bows and arrows too!!
                    >
                    > deb
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Bill Gawne
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2005
                      Hi Eric,

                      You asked:

                      > Where are the groups going, is there an event?
                      > Eric

                      Roman Days is a 3 day event held at Marietta Mansion the first weekend
                      in June.

                      -- Bill Gawne
                    • Jeannine R Jadaszewski
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2005
                                  Unfortunately, I must work 7days a week in spring and summers, I own a retail nursery and it's our busiest time of the year. I do most of my reenacting in the late summer, the fall and indoor talks and demos inside during winter.
                                In what state is Marietta Mansion,

                        Also who makes your armor?  Just curious,  is your armor cold rolled sheet steel or traditionally pounded iron?

                        Note how our armor has influences from the ancient Sarmatians, see attachment.
                        Eric

                        On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 08:00:52 -0500 Bill Gawne <gawne@...> writes:
                        Hi Eric,

                        You asked:

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 2, 2005
                          Jeanine, there are a fair number of Roman reenactment groups around the
                          country. I take it you're somewhere up in NY or Mass? We even have a September
                          event as it's still not too chlly for tunics.
                          Take a look at out website, http://www.larp.com/legioxx for a list of the
                          active groups around the world.

                          I would be interested to know what sort of indoor things you do; by yourself
                          at schools?

                          Richard