looking for presenters

  • randy9171
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
      I am a middle school Latin teacher in Pennington, NJ (near Trenton
      and Princeton). I am fortunate to have been given an entire day this
      month to enrich my 6th and 7th graders about Rome. Last year, George
      Metz of Legio XXIV came here to present his legionary kit and other
      items related to the ancient Roman military. My students absolutely
      loved being able to meet a person like George and to touch and wear
      some of his equipment. This year, I'm exploring similar options--I
      would rather have a visitor to my school than to take students to
      what they might consider a stuffy museum. If you (or anyone you
      know) can give demonstrations to middle schoolers about Roman
      culture, arts, or crafts, do you think it might be possible to take
      some time in the afternoon to come visit us on Wednesday, January
      26? If there is a question of compensation, I would be able to
      discuss that.

      Thank you very much for any information you might be able to provide.

      Randy Beckford
      Pennington Middle School Latin
      Pennington, NJ
    • Julie Brooks
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
        Salve,

        I'll forward this message out to a couple of Roman lists that I am on.
        There may be some re-enactors that are in the NJ area that would be willing
        to spend an afternoon with your students. Most of them generally like
        talking about ancient Rome, their kit and gear.

        Regards,

        Julie & Lawrence Brooks, Owners
        La Wren's Nest

        >From: "randy9171" <beckfordr@...>
        >To: romandays@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [romandays] looking for presenters
        >Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:18:34 -0000
        >

        >I am a middle school Latin teacher in Pennington, NJ (near Trenton
        >and Princeton). I am fortunate to have been given an entire day this
        >month to enrich my 6th and 7th graders about Rome. Last year, George
        >Metz of Legio XXIV came here to present his legionary kit and other
        >items related to the ancient Roman military. My students absolutely
        >loved being able to meet a person like George and to touch and wear
        >some of his equipment. This year, I'm exploring similar options--I
        >would rather have a visitor to my school than to take students to
        >what they might consider a stuffy museum. If you (or anyone you
        >know) can give demonstrations to middle schoolers about Roman
        >culture, arts, or crafts, do you think it might be possible to take
        >some time in the afternoon to come visit us on Wednesday, January
        >26? If there is a question of compensation, I would be able to
        >discuss that.
        >
        >Thank you very much for any information you might be able to provide.
        >
        >Randy Beckford
        >Pennington Middle School Latin
        >Pennington, NJ

      • Legion XXIV
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
          Legion XXIV could come your way again on the 26th , if you so desire.
          Just let me know time and place.

          Gallio / George

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
            George,

            I forwarded your e-mail to Randy at the school.

          • 56crowle@optonline.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
              Dear Randy:
              I am willing to present my Roman collection for the 6th grade.
              I have a number of items that may be interesting to your students. However my collection is not complete. I have armour , weapons, bust of Caesar, shields, vellixiums , standards, model of a Roman Fort. And a few civilian items.
              If you are interested please let me know. I must tell you I have not done this before and it is a new venture for me. Also I am a senior citizen and still active. My e-mail address is : 56crowle@...
              Sincerely,
              John Crowley

            • 56crowle@optonline.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
                Salvete
                See my offer to Randy in the below e-mail.

                > I am willing to present my Roman collection
                > for the 6th grade.
                > I have a number of items that may be interesting to your
                > students. However my collection is not complete. I have armour ,
                > weapons, bust of Caesar, shields, vellixiums , standards, model of
                > a Roman Fort. And a few civilian items.
                > If you are interested please let me know. I
                > must tell you I have not done this before and it is a new venture
                > for me. Also I am a senior citizen and still active. My e-mail
                > address is : 56crowle@...
                > Sincerely,
                > John Crowley

              • Julie Brooks
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
                  I'm not sure that got to Randy. it looks like it just went to the list.
                  You may want to paste that information into an e-mail and send to
                  beckfordr@....