Re: [Rolling Ball Sculptures] Re: Any tips on soldering tracks instead of wel...

  • Matthew gaulden
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2002
      I used brass welding rods in 3 feet lengths and
      soldered them with flux and solder. They were strong
      if not banged around too much. I did have some balls
      that would jump off, but I usually added railing. I
      took small pieced about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long and bent
      them about 30 degrees. These would be my spacers to
      keep the track together and provide better rigidity.
      I have made several machines, the first ones though i
      used copper coated steel rod, but after time it rusted
      at the joints. The brass didnt rust and it actually
      looked better. I bent all of my track by hand, first
      doing one rail then bending the second rail slightly
      different depending on if it was an inside or outside
      turn. I used aligator slips to hold it apart while
      soldering on the spacer clips and once I had gotten
      the first track in place and the supports all welded
      on, it got much easier. My tracks were all at least
      12 feet in length and could've been longer if I had
      just kept adding the 3 ft lengths. Hope this is
      good info for you... :)

      --- pasodad@... wrote:
      > You might consider building your RBS using materials
      > and techniques more
      > suited to apartment living. My first marble machine
      > was two dimensional and
      > built using glue and stiff cardboard. It looked
      > somewhat like a pinball
      > machine. My second machine used multiple layers of
      > Plexiglas with a hundreds
      > of feet of heavy paper strips glued to them for
      > channels. Marbles could pass
      > between layers where I drilled holes.
      >
      > These machines may not have been as glorious as
      > steel tracks, but they were
      > just as time consuming and caused an adequate
      > sensation. Although I did have
      > occasional marble jams, I never had one jump the
      > track since they were
      > completely enclosed.
      >
      > Another possibility is to build track by soldering
      > paper clips or similar
      > wire. Use ball bearings from a bicycle shop.
      >
      > I've read an account of an RBS using a BB on a
      > toothpick track.
      >
      > Bob S.

      Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
      http://news.yahoo.com