Re: Dispelling Bladerunes

  • RMGuru@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 1996

      > but nothing really says you cannot have two spells the same level

      Hmmm. There is no precedent, but I have a conceptual problem with it. Though
      there is no rule to date, I think that there will be eventually.

      BTW, the dispel/cancel Arcane spells are on the Realm Law spell list (in the
      Arcane Companion).

      John W. Curtis III
      Rolemaster Series Editor
      Electronic Media Director
      Iron Crown Enterprises, Inc.
    • Peter Sivets
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 1996
        RMGuru@... wrote:

        > > but nothing really says you cannot have two spells the same level
        >
        > Hmmm. There is no precedent, but I have a conceptual problem with it. Though
        > there is no rule to date, I think that there will be eventually.

        No precedent?? Check RM1. There are bunch of added spells towards the back. If
        I recall correctly there was a list or two in Companion V with multiple spells
        at several different levels.
        --
        Peter Sivets
        email: psivets@...

        "The avalanch has already started, it's too late for the pebbles to vote."
        - Ambasador Kosh.
      • Matt B
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 1996

          >> but nothing really says you cannot have two spells the same level
          >
          >Hmmm. There is no precedent, but I have a conceptual problem with it. Though
          >there is no rule to date, I think that there will be eventually.
          >
          >BTW, the dispel/cancel Arcane spells are on the Realm Law spell list (in the
          >Arcane Companion).

          I saw those, but thought, gee, the price for dispelling other magics for
          any given realm is pretty cheap in comparison to a non-arcane spending DP's
          on Arcane list. That's where I have a problem with it.

          mattb@...
          ftp://snoopy.gi.alaska.edu/FTP/
          http://deepthought.gi.alaska.edu/WWW/mattb/
        • Chris Sakal
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 1996
            >I think it should be a single spell, but maybe one that is available on all
            >the dispelling list.
            >
            >Looking at the essence Dispelling Ways, there are no open spots until 13th
            >level, but nothing really says you cannot have two spells the same level. I
            >would propose to make a Cancel Arcane at 4th level, Dispell 1 at 7th level.
            >
            >On the mentalism list Spell Resistance there are plenty of open slots
            >though. I'd put them just above the dispell Channeling spells of the same
            >protection.
            >
            >Channeling, there are paladin list and the Spell Defense list. Spell
            >Defense is full except for 18th level so duplication of levels would be
            >nessesary.
            >
            >If there is a dispell arcane in the arcane list, then that could be used,
            >but the cost can be really high for non-arcanes.
            See, the only problem with that is the fact that a spell to dispell
            arcane magic would have to be arcane itself, and this you really couldn't
            put it on a list of any of the three realms.
            I don't see a problem with letting dispel essence, channeling, or
            mentalism work on arcane spells, first off, for game balance reasons, it
            makes arcane magic a little less overwhelming (though I still wouldn't use
            it) secondly, for a rational reason, if you take one component out of a
            spell, the rest should fade as well, it's like unweaving 1/3rd of a tapestry
            rather than the whole thing, you're not going to have a tapestry left anymore.

            Chris Sakal
            csakal@...
          • s003llt@nova.wright.edu
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 1996
              On Wed, 1 May 1996 RMGuru@... wrote:

              > > but nothing really says you cannot have two spells the same level
              >
              > Hmmm. There is no precedent, but I have a conceptual problem with it. Though
              > there is no rule to date, I think that there will be eventually.

              When you say that there is no precident for having 2 spells at the same
              level on a list, I assume you mean only in RMSS? In RM2 the Arcane lsit
              with all the dispells -- Magic Defense -- has multiple spells at 6th,
              8th, 10th, 14th, and 17th levels. I'm pretty sure I've seen other RM2
              lists that are likewise doubled up.
              Laura

            • RMGuru@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 1996

                >No precedent?? Check RM1. There are bunch of added spells towards the back.
                >If
                >I recall correctly there was a list or two in Companion V with multiple
                >spells
                >at several different levels.

                They were intended to be replacement spells. There was a lot of problems with
                the concept of two spells at the same level (there were a few little problems
                like this that slipped into the Companions). Once again, GMs are free to do
                with the system whatever they want; I am simply here to provide insights to
                the design and original purposes.

                John W. Curtis III
                Rolemaster Series Editor
                Electronic Media Director