Re: Adrenal Move: Speed

  • Per-Anders Staav
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2000
      Peter Brodt wrote:

      > A character prepares a Adrenal Move:Speed in one round. In the next, he
      > defends fully in the snap phase and attacks all-out in the deliberate phase.
      > He is attacked in the normal phase. Do his DB from weapon skill come from
      > the snap or the deliberate phase?

      I view it like the phases don't really has a fixed lenght. It is just a
      method to ease the resolution of the action. A 100% action in the normal
      phase takes the whole round and thus includes the time during the snap
      and deliberate phase too even while the action will be determined before
      the end of the round.

      I can see two possible explanasions. The parry is determined by the DB
      allocated in the current phase and if no attacking is done during the
      current phase then:
      1) You use the DB from the attack in the snap phase. This kind of make
      sense but it is hard to extend it to general case when you are attacked
      in snap round but plan to attack back in the normal phase.

      2) If you are not attacking in a phase you use the DB from the following
      phase. If no attack is done there either you look at the following
      phase. This how I run the game for the moment.

      Per-Anders Staav

    • Zullo Shuk
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2000
        I am not sure if this is an offical rule or our house rule, but this is how
        we handle it:

        Any parry in any phase is subtracted from all attacks of the same round.
        Also your entire DB is used the entire round for every attack you receive.
        (But ofcourse your parry does not provide DB for back attacks and such)

        Target / Zullo
      • Craig O'Brien
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2000
          On 2/1/00 2:00 AM, Peter Brodt said:

          >A character prepares a Adrenal Move:Speed in one round. In the next, he
          >defends fully in the snap phase and attacks all-out in the deliberate phase.
          >He is attacked in the normal phase. Do his DB from weapon skill come from
          >the snap or the deliberate phase?

          It is assumed that if you attack in one turn, the parry for that attack
          protects you in all the phases of the turn. If you have two attacks in
          a turn, it is assumed that you have the parry of the first attack until
          the phase with the second attack. Therefore you would have the DB from
          the snap phase in the normal phase.

          ------ NOTE THE NEW EMAIL ------
          Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien Copy Editor
          Iron Crown Enterprises www.ironcrown.com ichobrien@...
          --- "You can't please all of the people all of the time." -Franklin ---

        • Dusk2night
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2000
            > > A character prepares a Adrenal Move:Speed in one round. In the next, he
            > > defends fully in the snap phase and attacks all-out in the deliberate
            phase.
            > > He is attacked in the normal phase. Do his DB from weapon skill come
            from
            > > the snap or the deliberate phase?
            .

            I was under the impression that if you used fully parry for the attack
            that both attacks you make would be a +0 OB...

            D2n

          • Peter Christ
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2000
              Right, but don't forget that you can only apply your parry to the opponent
              you attack, so if you get attacked by another opponenet you get no parry,
              just db.

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2000
                Dusk2night wrote:
                > I was under the impression that if you used fully parry for the attack
                > that both attacks you make would be a +0 OB...

                This is true for two weapon combat but for haste it is not that obvious.
                Perhaps there should be a rule like that but if the charcter is hasted
                (or AD Speed) he got 200% action and can make two full attacks. It is
                kind of messy since you would then take the DB from one of attacks in
                the phase without action. Craig said that it should be the first but I
                thinks the last attack is more logical.

                I have the following interpretation:
                If the hasted character attacks but fails to finish the enemy and the
                enemy plans to attack in a later phase the following will happen. The
                character is using the phase to move so that he can attack the other
                target (in practise this may just be turn around but anyway). To be able
                to do a full parry against the first enemy while the character walks
                away seams unrealistic (if not the player declared some kind of inversed
                press&melee attack), after all the character is doing something else.
                The enemy will get a attack since the he has delivered attacks but it
                may be modified downwards if the enemy has not declared press&melee so
                that he follows the character when he moves away.

                Per-Anders Staav

              • Shaun Lemay
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2000
                  From: "Craig O'Brien" <ichobrien@...>

                  > It is assumed that if you attack in one turn, the parry for that attack
                  > protects you in all the phases of the turn. If you have two attacks in
                  > a turn, it is assumed that you have the parry of the first attack until
                  > the phase with the second attack. Therefore you would have the DB from
                  > the snap phase in the normal phase.

                  This actually contradicts an earlier rulling. I don't remember if it was
                  yours Craig.

                  The transfer of OB to DB must be constant with all attacks in the same turn.

                  In the snap vs. deliberate example the deleberate attack would have an OB of
                  +30, the difference between the -20 for snap, and +10 for deliberate
                  actions.

                • Craig O'Brien
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2000
                    On 2/2/00 8:02 PM, Shaun Lemay said:

> [...]

                    I think you're confused. This has sort of come up before, and during
                    the original discussion several GMs said that they enforced an even
                    OB/DB split for multiple attacks in the same round. I prefaced my
                    first ruling about this situation with "If you are allowing different
                    parries..." That did not mean that it was a ruling that you had to use
                    the same parry. That is a rule for Two Weapon Combos, not for Adrenal
                    Speed.

                    In any case, I stand by the above ruling.

                    ------ NOTE THE NEW EMAIL ------
                    Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien Copy Editor
                    Iron Crown Enterprises www.ironcrown.com ichobrien@...
                    --- "You can't please all of the people all of the time." -Franklin ---

                  • Jonathan Dale
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2000
                      Creatures and Monsters. Okay, I don't get it.

                      I get the tables of stats, but what are the codes next to the names of the
                      creatures in the descriptions? The things like (f)-(--,--,--),CD-5. And
                      where are they defined? I've searched the book and come up blank. Surely it
                      wasn't left out!

                      ---Jonathan Dale

                    • Peter Celis
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2000
                        You can find the charts for these codes (Habitat, Environment and Frequency)
                        on page 12 of the Creatures & Monsters.
                        This one means the creature lives in a frigid climate [-> f], has no
                        specific preferences about the environments Special features, water sources
                        or terrain [-> (--,--,--)] but is likely to be found in a "coniferous forest
                        and/or taiga" or a "deciduous/coniferous(mixed)forest" [-> CD]. It also has
                        a frequency of 5 so it is Hard to find.

                        >From: Jonathan Dale <jdale@...>
                        >To: recipient list not shown: ;
                        >Subject: [RMFRP] Creatures and Monsters stats
                        >Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 21:57:54 -0500
                        >
                        >Creatures and Monsters. Okay, I don't get it.
                        >
                        >I get the tables of stats, but what are the codes next to the names of the
                        >creatures in the descriptions? The things like (f)-(--,--,--),CD-5. And
                        >where are they defined? I've searched the book and come up blank. Surely it
                        >wasn't left out!
                        >
                        >---Jonathan Dale

                      • Craig O'Brien
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 4, 2000
                          On 2/3/00 9:57 PM, Jonathan Dale said:

                          >Creatures and Monsters. Okay, I don't get it.
                          >
                          >I get the tables of stats, but what are the codes next to the names of the
                          >creatures in the descriptions? The things like (f)-(--,--,--),CD-5. And
                          >where are they defined? I've searched the book and come up blank. Surely it
                          >wasn't left out!

                          All of that is the habitat code, which is described on p.12.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 4, 2000
                            At 10:02 AM 2/4/00 -0500, Craig O'Brien wrote:
                            >On 2/3/00 9:57 PM, Jonathan Dale said:
                            >
                            > >Creatures and Monsters. Okay, I don't get it.
                            > >
                            > >I get the tables of stats, but what are the codes next to the names of the
                            > >creatures in the descriptions? The things like (f)-(--,--,--),CD-5. And
                            > >where are they defined? I've searched the book and come up blank. Surely it
                            > >wasn't left out!
                            >
                            >All of that is the habitat code, which is described on p.12.

                            Okay, I see it now. It's actually page 10 in the current edition, and it
                            doesn't actually specify in the description of the habitat codes where they
                            are listed or in the description of the format that those symbols are the
                            habitat code. I guess you're supposed to realize intuitively because it's
                            the only part of the stats that doesn't appear in the tables.

                            I can't help but think the book would be more useful, even if somewhat
                            larger, if it spelled out some of the stats rather than condensing them to
                            arcane symbols. But I suppose that's part of the charm of RM. :)

                            At least I can use it now.

                            ---Jonathan Dale