Re: Handling repeated attempts

  • Tony Cruickshank
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 1999
      Hello All,

      My take on the subject of repeated attempts depends on the situation.
      If its something where failing is obvious (and non-fatal), such as picking
      a lock, then I have no problem with someone else attempting it afterwards.
      (And I'll only rule the lock's damaged if the skill roll indicated as such.)

      For situations where failing isn't quite so obvious, such as tracking,
      then I use the Leadership skill. For example, the party Ranger decides
      to track and fails to find anything. Another party member says he'll have
      a go and finds something heading off in a strange direction. Who the
      characters will believe is then determined by the Leadership skills of
      the two characters (by them making Leadership skill rolls).

      Of course, this takes the decisions out of the players hands, something
      I *really* hate, so I also allow the players to nominate who they'll go
      with before any rolls are made (and they usually go with the Ranger).

      Tony.

    • Mortuus_Tam
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 1999
        I may play it rather simply, and difficult, but I allow people one roll.
        If they receive a partial success or something that allows for another
        roll with a modification to gain a success, then they can roll again,
        otherwise they can't, not until they gain a level. Others can of course
        try, with the lucky chance of making it, under the same rules. Now if
        before they make a level (or rank increase in the skill) they figure
        something key that would help, bonus-wise, then they can make another roll
        under the same rules. Vale.

      • Tony Cruickshank
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 1999
          > I may play it rather simply, and difficult, but I allow people one roll.
          > If they receive a partial success or something that allows for another
          > roll with a modification to gain a success, then they can roll again,
          > otherwise they can't, not until they gain a level. Others can of course
          > try, with the lucky chance of making it, under the same rules. Now if
          > before they make a level (or rank increase in the skill) they figure
          > something key that would help, bonus-wise, then they can make another roll
          > under the same rules. Vale.

          I knew I should have quoted some of the previous posts. The repeated
          attempts under discussion isn't by the same person, but by different members
          of the party. (ie: Player 1 fails to pick the lock so player 2 has a go.
          He fails so player 3 has a go, etc, etc.)

          As for the same character re-attempting a skill, I think it does depend
          greatly on the skill being used. As for lock picking, don't the rules allow
          multiple attempts at a cumulative -50 penalty, or something?

          Tony.

        • Nicholas Zoss
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 1999
            On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Tony Cruickshank wrote:
            > For situations where failing isn't quite so obvious, such as tracking,
            > then I use the Leadership skill. For example, the party Ranger decides
            > to track and fails to find anything. Another party member says he'll have
            > a go and finds something heading off in a strange direction. Who the
            > characters will believe is then determined by the Leadership skills of
            > the two characters (by them making Leadership skill rolls).

            We've also instituted some vague bonuses/subtractions for combined
            actions.. people who know they are poor at skill X can opt not to
            contribute to the action... it seems to be working okay but the actual
            implimentation is still vague.

            Nicholas Zoss (nicholas-zoss@...)
            interesting: In hacker parlance, this word has strong connotations of
            "annoying", or "difficult", or both. Hackers relish a challenge, and enjoy
            wringing all the irony possible out of the ancient Chinese curse "May you
            live in interesting times".

          • Tony Cruickshank
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 1999
              > We've also instituted some vague bonuses/subtractions for combined
              > actions.. people who know they are poor at skill X can opt not to
              > contribute to the action... it seems to be working okay but the actual
              > implimentation is still vague.
              >
              > Nicholas Zoss (nicholas-zoss@...)

              Yeah, combined actions in RoleMaster is a pain, and there aren't any
              "official" rules. I've got something which vaguely works, based on one
              character leading the attempt and making a Leadership roll to see how
              well he organises everyone. This works okay in certain situations, such
              as everyone pulling (or not :-) on a rope, but not others such as using
              Lore skills.

              Tony.

            • J C
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 1999
                ---Alex Gauthier <node@...> wrote:
                > I'm looking for suggestions on how people handle a group of
                characters who line up to try the same task over and over to until
                they succeed. <

                This is a GM discretion issue, but in my game, if you fail at a static
                maneuver, you cannot try again until your skill improves (either
                through an increase in ranks or an increase in stats). Thus, each
                character gets one shot at it.

                John W. Curtis III
                Iron Crown Enterprises, Inc.
                Rolemaster Series Editor
                Electronic Media Direction

              • manuel siebert
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1, 1999
                  Tony Cruickshank wrote:
                  > combined actions in RoleMaster is a pain, and there aren't any
                  > "official" rules. I've got something which vaguely works, based on one
                  > character leading the attempt and making a Leadership roll to see how
                  > well he organises everyone. This works okay in certain situations, such
                  > as everyone pulling (or not :-) on a rope, but not others such as using
                  > Lore skills.
                  >
                  > Tony.

                  For some skills there are rules for combined actions in the RM2 companions. A
                  character using First Aid receives a bonus for someone assisting, a character
                  picking locks gets a bonus if someone explains the mechanism, Foraging rolls
                  are positively modified if there are rangers (or other nature types) present.
                  I also use this system for repeated actions. If someone fails to open a lock
                  and another character tries after him, the first character could (depending on
                  skill rank and success of own roll= +5 for every 5 skill ranks in Pick Locks
                  plus a "non failure result" on own attempt) actually help to open it. But i
                  agree that the characters have to be aware of the failure before they can take
                  further attempts. It might even be possible for a master thief to declare a
                  lock as "not unlockable". Depending on his skill ranks and a leadership roll,
                  this might actually convince other characters that it would be futile to try
                  further.

                  Manuel