RE: hibernation

  • Jauregui Lorda
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 1998
      sheila herndon wrote:

      >I'm trying to make up a hibernating race, just for fun. One of the
      >problems is that I'm not sure how much of a flaw hibernation is. Does
      >anyone have opinions on that? Also, how would you add flaws that aren't
      >"on" all the time. When my creature comes out of hibernation, I think it
      >will be exhausted and have other problems that are flaws. However, those
      >aren't permanent.
      >
      >The other problem is that I have too many ideas all at once and I don't
      >know what to choose from.
      >
      >Also, being bombarded with all these ideas, at the same time trying to
      >think of a non human mentality is very tricky. So first I was just going
      >to simplify my task and think of a hibernating human society. One idea I
      >had was to have a people who existed in the dream world while they were
      >hibernating. So they have a civilization there, instead of just being
      >passive observers while they dream. Maybe they could install bad omens and
      >supsterstitions into other races minds about doing anything connected with
      >discovering who they are. (ha, if they did this, one insane/contrary
      >person might be sure to discover them by following the anti-trail).

      Sorry, but this has just came to my mind:
      Everywhere, underground, this little criatures sleep. They sleep
      deep, but in their dreams they leave their morta bodies and travel as
      etereal beings. This etereal form is so weak no one can sense it, just
      perhaps gods. Then, these criatures actually see into other sleepers minds
      (never mind the races) and play with your ideas, memories, etc. Result: you
      dream. Wonder what happens if all these criatures awake...

      It seemed good idea, at least as a race tale.

      Esteban

    • David Scott
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 1998
        There is a book by Alan Dean Foster "Prism" (I think) where the races are
        silicon based life forms powered by solar energy. At night they
        sleep/hibernate as they have no power source. However some predators can
        store power so hunt at night on the defenceless. Does the first race have a
        Flaw? No I don't think so. It does have an evolutionary problem but in the
        book it also had the brains. Clearly if a player character was the only
        "human" who had to hibernate for the winter it would be a flaw, but think on
        that he/she could also live on its fat for 4 months of the year. Probably
        have incredible stamina and an inability to operate efficiently in a cold
        climate.