Re: teleport

  • Gunnar Petzall
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 1, 1998
      I really like this way...

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 1, 1998
        >A target that doesn't
        >want the spell on himself should get a RR with perhaps +100 for the
        >normal spell and +50 for the elemental one.

        I thought there were no RR's for elemental spells??

        You can't resist shock bolt, but you can dodge them.

      • Per-Anders Staav
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 1998
          Matt Barkdull wrote:

          > >A target that doesn't
          > >want the spell on himself should get a RR with perhaps +100 for the
          > >normal spell and +50 for the elemental one.
          >
          > I thought there were no RR's for elemental spells??
          > You can't resist shock bolt, but you can dodge them.

          Interesting, this means that you would allow a spelluser that managed to
          learn a clerics absolution and spellshaping to cast a absolution bolt
          (not impossilble since the arcane realm sometimes is used by priests in
          some worlds). The priest could of course develop directed spell skill
          with the bolt but if got a hit with the spell he would ignore the level
          of the target and just kill them automaticly. Have you ever heard the
          word play balance! :)

          My point is that the turning into bolt affects the means of tranmitting
          the spell and not the acctual effect. Some spells avoids the RR if they
          are changed to a bolt but many spells can't be translated in this way
          without allowing terrible combinations. The reason I started to speak of
          a RR for the elemental teleport is that I doesn't want this combination
          to work. In this way there is a logical way to explain why the class (U)
          spell can't be turned into a ultimate weapon. What would the evil
          mastermind do if the players could develop attack spells like this, he
          would of course create an even more powerfull spell combo. Perhaps there
          are GMs that think everything should be allowed and that you allways can
          punish the players into stop doing thing like this. The problem is that
          this leads to to inflation, the spells get more and more deadly and
          everybody else loses interest since the spellusers are the only ones
          really neaded in the party.
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 2, 1998
            Have you ever heard the
            word play balance! :)

            ***Thats when your players make sure the table doesn't tip over when
            they mix RM and alcohol right? =)

            My point is that the turning into bolt affects the means of tranmitting
            the spell and not the acctual effect.

            *** Actually Per-Anders the reason there is no RR is because he is
            using a 20th lev Arcanist spell. I don't know how the "bolt" got thrown in
            there, there is really no need for it. Absolution automatically reaches the
            target. Changing it to a bolt does not wipe out the RR, it simply changes
            the method of handling the BAR; an RR would still apply. Now if the 20th
            lev spell is used, one can change the type to E and there would be no RR.
            As John pointed out: this is a lot of work to go through for a spell which
            is nasty enough as it stands.