Re: SW and Channeling Companion priests

  • Steven Debono & Wendy McDonald
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 1998
      > Has anyone already thought what spell lists should be given to the priests
      > of the Shadow World? I am in the middle of the process of applying the
      > Primal Order concepts to the Shadow World and have not yet had time to think
      > of the mortal side of the religion. If somebody is interested in this
      > project I could send details to the list.
      >
      > - Olli

      Greetings and salutations!

      From my understanding to date, it will possibly end up being as follows:
      Much of what is in the Channeling Companion will be altered for Shadow World. The
      Priest will actually be a Training Package. The Lords of Orhan are not True gods
      (nor the Dark gods), and thus do not rely on spheres of influence or worshipers for

      power or existance. They possess great magical power and are able to influence
      events, but the spells 'granted' by the Lords of Orhan are not specific to any
      gods/portfolio. There may be personalisation of the spells 'granted' by the local
      gods (which are powerful spirits - not true gods), but this is based heavily on the

      beliefs of the local people (and GM) and their focus on the god.

      Correct me if I'm wrong Terry.

      bones.

    • Olli Seppänen
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 1998
        >Greetings and salutations!
        >
        >>From my understanding to date, it will possibly end up being as follows:
        >Much of what is in the Channeling Companion will be altered for Shadow
        World. The
        >Priest will actually be a Training Package. The Lords of Orhan are not
        True gods
        >(nor the Dark gods), and thus do not rely on spheres of influence or
        worshipers for
        >power or existance. They possess great magical power and are able to
        influence
        >events, but the spells 'granted' by the Lords of Orhan are not specific to
        any
        >gods/portfolio. There may be personalisation of the spells 'granted' by
        the local
        >gods (which are powerful spirits - not true gods), but this is based
        heavily on the
        >beliefs of the local people (and GM) and their focus on the god.

        This doesn't fit my conception of the Shadow World. I use the system
        presented in the Primal Order. It divides the gods into 5 classes. Godling
        is a minor god who has no sphere of influence. Godlings become Demigods
        after researching a sphere of influence. Lesser Gods have a "home plane"
        Greater Gods control over five planes. Supreme Gods are the leaders of
        Pantheons and get extra primal power for their status.

        In my Shadow World Kuor is the only Supreme God. This is the main reason why
        the Lords of Orhan are more powerful than the Dark Gods. If the Dark Gods
        could combine their forces and unite under one leader they could become as
        powerful as the Orhan Pantheon. This is the main worry of the Orhan Gods who
        have severely restricted the travel from Charon to Kulthea by means of a
        primal wall. The only means of travel are now as described in the Shadow
        World Master Atlas. This would change if the Dark Gods challenged directly
        the Lords of Orhan by attacking the wall in unison.

        Local Gods are usually Godlings. They have little primal abilities and
        prefer to use the spells they had as mortals because Kuor monitors the use
        of primal energy on Kulthea. (In the Primal order system every use of Primal
        Energy leaves a primal signature and Supreme Gods are able to sense these
        whenever they are in the same plane) Kuor has a continuous planewide
        omniscience on Kulthea (it functions as a second consciousness) He would in
        theory be able to know every thought of every Kulthean but because of the
        policy of non-interference by the Orhan Gods he just monitors the Primal
        usage and the most important big events. Sometimes the lords even intervene
        indirectly. For example Kuor has recently changed weather in Jaiman to delay
        the attack by Lorgalis and the Usurper on Rhakhaan and allow the defenders
        to recoup.

        If the Dark Gods combined their forces Kuor would have to remove his
        omniscience from Kulthea (it uses up tremendous amounts of Primal) and
        confront the Dark Gods directly. The result of planewide divine war would
        probably be the end of civilization...

        The Essaence Flows are Cosmic in nature. Cosmic energy is more powerful than
        the Primal energy and thus there is little the Orhan Pantheon could do if
        Essaence Storm opened a portal from Kulthea to Charon.

        Because I started the project before buying the Channeling Companion I have
        not yet had time to think much of the priests spell lists. Only sure thing
        is that only priests of Eissa have access to the Life Mastery list and
        lifegiving always demands approval of the goddess. Thus lifegiving is very
        rare in my Shadow World.

        I am interested in opinions, ideas, criticism etc. This is only a short
        version of what I have done. Maybe more later if someone is still
        interested.