Re: (OFF) Re: Why not Java? (Was: Mac and IBM OS)

  • Brian R. Gilstrap
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 1997
      Anders H. Abrahamsen

      [snip]

      > 1) Java is still " under development "
      > 2) Java is not (yet) a suitable language for larger systems
      > 3) But it will be.. (eventually... hopefully)

      Well, I'm a professional software engineer who has been in the industry
      for
      more than 10 years. And our company is building a large software system in
      Java (more than 30 people with the result being somewhere around 1 million
      lines of code when we're all done).

      Yes, Java is still being extended as a language. Yes, there are bugs in
      the
      implementations. Despite all of this, programmers are 30%-200% more
      productive
      using Java (anecdotal experience with every C++ programmer I've talked to
      who
      has used Java for more than 4 months). For one thing, the platform
      independance
      is about 80% right now, a *vastly* higher number than *any* other
      approach (don't
      let the people providing 'cross-platform' libraries kid you about this
      one).

      So, RMSS software in Java would be an excellent choice. And if I can ever
      free
      up some time in my life, I might just develop it.

      Scoop

      Brian R. Gilstrap
      gilstrap@...

      "CAESAR: Pardon him, Theodotus. He is a barbarian and thinks the customs
      of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."
      --George Bernard Shaw