Re: high powered items

  • Robert Campbell
    Message 1 of 1001 , Nov 4 12:45 AM
      My favorite weapon that I designed was lost (by the players) amidst the
      flash and sparkle of several other magic swords
      'Rust'
      is a rusted, nicked, poor - quality looking iron longsword
      it is -15 due to workmanship, metal, and disrepair
      it does, however, carry the three following enchantments
      Prevents all aging (including Magical)
      it is "of Slaying" against all humans (high/common/mixed)
      and carries a +25 Magical Enchantment bonus

      definitely a sentimental favorite of mine......
      sort of takes that old saying "don't judge a sword by it's scabbard" one
      step further eh?
      -------------
      Original Text
      From: Pedro Manuel Machado <pedromcm@...>, on 6/1/97 8:48 AM:
      At 13:33 31-05-1997 -0400, you wrote:
      >Hey Guys, how about we start a string of descriptions of high powered
      items
      >that we've designed. One of my favorite things about roleplaying is
      >creating super powerful items and weapons that I know my GM will never let
      >me use and I'm always looking for good ideas. I like the Buff Sword very
      >much and when I showed it to my GM with the implication that I want it for
      >my character, he almost hit me.
      >
      >Anxiously awaiting new ideas,

      One idea I like is the "sword of sharpness". It is merely a worn-looking
      longsword, nothing particular about it. You pick it up, nothing special. It
      is well balanced, say +5 +10. It is not smart, will not help one fight
      better. It just does one thing: it cuts what it hits. It is quite heavy,
      needs at least a bonus of +5 Strength to be used without penalty. For each
      -1, penalty of -3.
      As you might have guessed, this works by the fairly simple process of being
      made of *very* hard metal and having the weight to gain momentum.
      When it hits, it simply upgrades the damage. This is unlike a straight
      bonus
      and works like this:
      Say you need 75 to hit, and get (after all skill bonuses etc) a 92. 92-75=
      17. The actual damage is: roll a d6. On a 2-4, it is doubled. On a 5
      trebled, on a 6 its 4 X.
      On a 1, no change.
      So suppose you roll a 3, 17*2=34 and the final roll is 75+34=109.
      Notice that it doesn't make you hit more often, but when it hits things can
      get pretty nasty pretty quickly.
      The "counting" may seem a bit complicated, but if I were to use it I'd get
      the table "shortened" so it'd work on a simple roll. No, actually I'd
      simply
      put a function in my calculator. Roll, minimum to hit, and out with the
      result. The progression of this weapon is different:

      *
      *
      *
      000000000000000000000000000*

      Until here fails
      Normal, no bonus.

      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      000000000000000000000*

      Until here fails
      Normal bonus (+5, +20, whatever)

      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      000000000000000000000000000*

      Until here fails
      "Sword of Sharpness"

      One can say it amplifies damage, but gives no skill.
      Weapons clashing against it will be damaged (indentations on the edge) and
      have an higher chance of breakage, like hitting your pocket-knife against a
      file.

      I know, it is a weird notion. But if the GM is careful, people may despise
      it in favor of some +5 or +15 sword :)

      Yours,

      Pedro

      ----------

      Rove your assigned airspace, spot the enemy, shoot him down,
      and anything else is rubbish.

      Manfred Von Richtofen
    • Daniel Andersson
      Message 1001 of 1001 , Apr 25, 1997
        Hi

        I better throw in my opinion on this(group pressure), it's a 4.

        I could do with some clarifications regarding high-magic campains. I
        played for years and always thought of middle-earth to be a high-fantasy
        world(and still do). But when you folks say you like high-magic, what do
        you mean? Save-the-world-campains? High-level-characters? Lot of
        magic/exotic beasties? I know the definition on this could be very fuzzy
        from time-to-time.

        Do you folks deploy some kind of game-logic in your worlds(worlds of
        your own creation anyway)? Or do you simply start with a medival-setting
        and add/remove things?(stating that the reason for things being the way
        they are = result of unknown powers at work)?

        --
        Daniel Andersson That is not dead
        mailto:daniel@... which can eternal lie,
        From: Jeremy Pearce:DGC