Re: WOT Again (was Re: The Myrddraal Prince)

  • Robert Campbell
    Message 1 of 1250 , Oct 3, 2002
      I don't have my Jordanian Manuals on hand but I'll give it a go....
      References to the True Power are few and far between until we get to
      Crown of Swords where it becomes another of his Unending (but
      still brilliant) plot lines.....Mogheiden (or however its spelled)
      notices the little gold? black? flakes in the handsome young man
      who traps her soul......and she is afraid because it marks him as one
      who channels the TRUE POWER or, I believe she translates for
      the reader, directly from the Dark One, whereas the One Power
      comes from the SOURCE.......
      Anybody Correct me if I'm wrong.....
      ps: I don't want to offend anyone but I still can't make Jordan
      tops in the genre....the sub-genre of the Super Epic yes,
      undoubtedly.....
      but Brust and Cook are definitely on par with him,
      IMHO at least.....
      -------------
      Original Text
      From: PGJF Starremans <starrema@...>, on 5/1/97 5:27 AM:
      Hey there,

      >On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Lowell Matthews wrote:

      > Howdy!
      >

      > This agrees with my own understanding. But was Ishamael really posing as
      > the Dark One, or was he POSSESSED? I'd almost argue for the latter,
      > especially since Ishamael was supposed to be one of the strongest of the
      > Chosen/Forsaken and the one closest to Shaitan.

      Ok, I do agree, but remember that allthough Ishamael was one of the
      strongest he wasn't sealed into the bore completely with the other in the
      war of power (or was it the trolloc wars, I don't recall). So he was able
      to "touch" the world for the entire 3000 or more years and who wouldn't
      go insane of that ?!? So he could be posing for the Dark One and since he
      was still serving the general purposes of the D.O. he was left alone. Or
      maybe the D.O. severed his connection to Ishamael and he went insane by
      using the tainted half of the true power. These are only some ramblings
      of my own.

      But I've got another question in the books there are some reference to a
      TRUE power (not the same as the ONE power), but I didn't get the point
      entirely. Are there more powers or is the TRUE power another
      manifestation of the ONE power (maybe male and female half integrated).
      There was some mentioning of males and females being able to work
      together with resp. SAIDAR and SAIDIN and combining the halves to create
      great effects. (What do SAI-DAR and SAI-DIN combined give ? SAI-GON or
      SAI-ONARA to the world, chuckle ? Ok, just kidding). I'd like some feedback
      about that (maybe with the pages in the book as well so I don't have to
      look for it myself again).

      Patrick
      ,
    • Joeman
      Message 1250 of 1250 , May 6, 1997
        > But I seem to recall Shelob actually talking with Sam and/or Frodo, which
        > means she is "sapient" or intelligent. Hence the problem still exists.
        >
        > Best wishes,
        > Lowell

        Actually, she never "talks" with Sam and Frodo. There are several
        passages where Tolkien anthropomorphises her "feelings" and "hungers"
        into cogent thoughts (for our benefit), much like the VERY beginning of
        the Fellowship where the fox sees Sam, Frodo, and Pippin sleeping under
        a tree and thinks to himself, "what strange times to see three hobbits
        sleeping in the open..." (paraphrase). I don't think that Shelob, or
        even the Ungoliant was sapient, necessarily, but that doesn't preclude
        cleverness or even intelligence, of a sort....
        From Jeremy_Pearce@...
        From: Jeremy Pearce:DGC
        From: Tue May 6 10:31:00 EDT 1997