Re: good karma

  • Lee Taylor
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 1994
      > Now to the important stuff...
      >
      > Is there any rule anywhere dealing with whether a successful base attack
      > continues to operate after the caster is killed/knocked out? We had a
      > bit of an arguement about it some time ago and never really came to a
      > conclusion.

      In Spell Law, I think, they say a spell can be dispelled by the user, but
      it needs a conscious effort to do so. Therefore any spell which doesn't
      need concentration will continue as the mage hasn't made a conscious effort
      to stop the spell.

      Therefore my interpretation is that if it requires direct concentration the
      spell will stop, otherwise it will keep going. People mind controlled will
      continue with the last command they were given, people hasted by the mage
      will still be hasted, etc.

      > Also, with regard to disspeling, does a permanent bladerune (a la Roco)
      > resist at level 30 (the level of the spell) if it was cast using ritual
      > magic, or does it resist at the level of the weilder/caster (in this case,
      > lev 15).

      My opinion on this is that it resists as the level of the caster when the
      spell was cast. In this case 30th level. Otherwise you get the ridiculous
      situation where a mages stuff gets more powerful when the mage gets more
      experienced, even when he does nothing to his equipment. It doesn't make
      sense that a spell cast by a mage when he was first level will increase
      in power with the mage.

      Lee Taylor.
    • Jens-Arthur Leirbakk
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 1994
        Well, point taken (I was the one that sent that junk mail). However, I
        would state that the rune resists at the level it was inscribed in (level
        30), as the rune is permanent, and is not dependent on the wielder of the
        weapon. It is a separate entity, one can say.

        When it comes to a base attack - I take it you mean a spell with a
        duration? Well, if the spell's duration is C (or words to that effect),
        the caster would have his concentration broken if he's killed. It's such
        a shattering experience, wouldn't you all agree? If it is a preset
        duration (1 min/level or something), then it will operate independently
        of the caster - the caster has already paid the PPs to power the spell -
        it is now no longer dependent on the caster.

        | Jens-Arthur Leirbakk |
        | E-mail: leirbakk@... |
        | Norwegian Institute of Technology |
        | Not particularly opposed to whaling |

        On Thu, 7 Feb 2036 SPATTERS01@... wrote:

        > Ummm, can we keep this group to roleplaying? Don't take this as a flame,
        > but some of us have better things to fill our mailboxes with.
        >
        > Now to the important stuff...
        >
        > Is there any rule anywhere dealing with whether a successful base attack
        > continues to operate after the caster is killed/knocked out? We had a
        > bit of an arguement about it some time ago and never really came to a
        > conclusion.
        >
        > Also, with regard to disspeling, does a permanent bladerune (a la Roco)
        > resist at level 30 (the level of the spell) if it was cast using ritual
        > magic, or does it resist at the level of the weilder/caster (in this case,
        > lev 15).
        >
        > Asp.

      • Lars Bernstein
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 1994

          > Is there any rule anywhere dealing with whether a successful base attack
          > continues to operate after the caster is killed/knocked out? We had a
          > bit of an arguement about it some time ago and never really came to a
          > conclusion.

          We play that ALL spells (unless permanent) are broken when the caster DIES.
          If he goes unconscious then duration based spells will continue. This
          generally goes for summoned creatures also.

          > Also, with regard to disspeling, does a permanent bladerune (a la Roco)
          > resist at level 30 (the level of the spell) if it was cast using ritual
          > magic, or does it resist at the level of the weilder/caster (in this case,
          > lev 15).

          All spells resist at level of CASTER. If you didn't throw the spell, you
          don't make the resistance roll for it. :-) The CASTER of the bladerune is
          the person that embedded it. Otherwise you are just "triggering" the rune
          not "casting" it. :-)

          Laurence E. Bernstein
          leb@...
        • James W Walden
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 1994
            Does anyone know of a good Rolemaster character sheet in TeX or Postscript?
            I've found one TeX Spacemaster character sheet (with a filename which indicated
            that it was a Rolemaster one) via ftp, but that's all I've discovered.

            As a sidenote, I've obviously been playing Magic too long because my first
            thought was that there's no such thing as a good Karma, having been a recent
            victim of a magically hacked one.
            James
            "Truth decays into beauty, while beauty soon becomes merely charm. Charm
            ends up as strangeness, and even that doesn't last, but up and down are
            forever." - The Laws of Physics
          • Christophe Fiorio, LIRMM 67-41-85-78
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 11, 1994
              Hello

              in your message <siaP7fC00WB=0vvX9x@...> you wrote...

              >Does anyone know of a good Rolemaster character sheet in TeX or Postscript?
              >I've found one TeX Spacemaster character sheet (with a filename which indicat
              >ed
              >that it was a Rolemaster one) via ftp, but that's all I've discovered.

              I have made a TeX Rolemaster character sheet, good for me but perhaps not
              for you. Unfornately (not for me), i have written it in french. I am ok
              to do a translation in english, but i ned=ed somme time and some help.
              In fact i am looking for english rule in order to correlate french skill names
              with original skill names.

              Christophe.

              \\|//
              @ o o @
              | | |
              | Christophe Fiorio | Black holes were created when |
              | email: fiorio@... | God divided by zero |
              | | |
              (o ^)
              //|\\