Re: 89 DPs

  • i.c.e@genie.geis.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2000
      After much thought and consideration, we have agreed that leaving the BO for
      stat gain rolls as it is will be the best action. If a GM feels it is too
      powerful, he won't allow (simple). It is easier than limiting those GMs who
      do not feel it is too powerful.

      John W. Curtis III
      Rolemaster Series Editor
      Production Director
      Iron Crown Enterprises, Inc.
      I.C.E@...; RMGURU@...
    • Chris Trobridge
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 1969
        > Anyway enough of my ranting. I just think that
        > you guys should think about leaving that BO
        > alone because there are some of us who think
        > (well at least one) that it isn't all that much
        > of a powerful option anyway,

        > Dave Olson

        Make that two!

        If we start play at a reasonable level (eg >=5th) our GM assumes most of
        our stats are at maximums and doesn't bother to make us roll. I don't
        think a complete set of stat rolls is excessive - it evens out fairly
        quickly.

        I haven't seen RMSS yet but I tend to take skill at arms/magic as
        appropriate. I look forward to seeing a copy of the new rules.

        Chris
      • Bent C Dalager
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 11, 1995
          An old thread, but that's never stopped me before ....

          ASTALDOSORNE NOLDOR ELF FORCEMAGE wrote:

          > >Ah, yes. I forgot about the BO to get a stat gain roll. We will probably be
          > >changing this to read "...one stat gain roll for ONE stat..." Getting a stat
          > >gain for all your stats is too much.
          >

          > >John W. Curtis III
          > > Rolemaster Series Editor
          > > Production Director
          > > Iron Crown Enterprises, Inc.
          > > I.C.E@...; RMGURU@...
          >
          > In my opinion, I think that leaving that backgroung option as it is woundn't
          > be all that bad. To be honest, when I was looking through the background
          > options, I immediately dismissed that choice as worthless and didn't reall read
          > it closely.
          >
          > As someone who has created a few characters in his time, I have come to feel
          > that any backgroung points spent on anything like extra money,stat gain rolls,
          > and items is basically a waste. Sure, if you spend 2 Bo's on choosing a special
          > item, you can get a +20 item, but it can be lost,destroyed, or stolen. With the
          > same 2 BO's you could get a +10 to your main weapon skill, and a +5 to the
          > catagory leaving you with a +15 for that weapon FOREVER. It is also entirely
          > possible you will be able to acquire a better weapon, and then there goes 2
          > BO's down the tube when if you chose the other route you would still have your
          > +15 and a better weapon.
          > Anyway, as to the stat gains. If you intend to lower the stat gain bo to only
          > one stat, I feel that it would be even worse. Lets stop and think about it for
          > a second. you get a stat gain roll for EVERY stat EVERY level. What is the
          > incentive to spend a BO on it? I assume it is so that the character will have
          > generally higher stats than his comrades at the start of play. If 1 BO only
          > gives you 1 stat gain roll, why not wait until you get your DP's to spend
          > during adolescence and spend only 8 DP's on it?
          >
          > Anyway enough of my ranting. I just think that
          > you guys should think about leaving that BO
          > alone because there are some of us who think
          > (well at least one) that it isn't all that much
          > of a powerful option anyway,

          The real power in this BO is that it allows to to take low DP-stats and roll
          a stat gain roll _before_ apprenticeship development, giving you more DPs and
          thus more skills. These are skills that you will _not_ be getting back in a
          few levels, as DPs lost on a level (due to low stats) never come back to you.
          This is, the way I see it, the real incentive to waste a BO on stat gain rolls.

          Since I think that BOs _should_ be powerful (after all, they are the great
          equalizer between the different races in RM), this is how I handle it (i.e.,
          ten stat gain rolls for one BO - but no more than one BO may be spent towards
          this).

          Other than that, I basically agree with you that BOs should be used to get
          something permanent that is unattainable during later play, but regarding
          items, you should examine the 'rule' stating that a GM should allow
          players to 'combine the powers of several results into one single item', and
          further provides an example in which a +30 item is stated as the max suggested
          allowable result. This means that by using two BOs to select items, you could
          get 'two +20 items', which you could convert into one +30 morning star and
          one +10 shield or somesuch. +30 weapons, besides being frighteningly useful
          and hard to come by, are also worth a fortune (beating the crap out of the
          Wealth table) - but then, I would rule that such an item is an heirloom or
          something that the character could not just sell.

          The bottom line is that items from the Special Items BOs _can_ be worth the
          trouble, but I seriously question the sanity of anyone opting to roll on the
          Wealth table, especially as you could take the 'wealthy family' Minor Talent
          and get a Wealth Roll with a +20 thrown in for free ... and Minor Talents
          aren't exactly expensive ...

          As for stats, how about these Temps for a Fighter -

          STAT TEMP POT
          St, Co 90,90 90+1d10, ca. 95-96
          Qu, Re, Me 20,25,20 ca. 50-60
          Em, Pr or In 75 80+2d10 ca. 90-91
          All Else 85,85,85,85 90+1d10 ca. 95-96

          This would give you 61 DPs, but, of course, you take Stat Gain Rolls and boost
          this before Apprenticeship. This should net you another 7 or so.
          You would have 6 stats with a Pot in the range 91-100, and excellent chances
          of high stat bonuses. Of course, this fighter has to use big ATs, or he's
          gonna get creamed.
          He will be good at fighting, self control, animals and awareness and has to be
          really unlucky to get any negative stat bonuses. His Qu will affect his
          Combat Maneuvers (or was it Special Attacks) negatively though (assuming that
          'normal' fighters have a positive Qu bonus).

          This same trick applies to all professions, of course, as long as they are able
          to pick out three stats they don't mind flushing down the drain. The problem
          is that you're not guaranteed spectacular prime stats, but your character is
          bound to end up an excellent all-rounder.

          If your GM uses the optional rule where you are allowed to increase your
          potentials with a BO, this is even more enticing, as bad POT rolls for your
          prime stats can be compensated for with a BO.

          Of course, all this is spoken assuming we're talking about someone out to
          exploit the system ... and frankly, any point-based character generation
          system is just screaming to be exploited ...

          Comments?

          --
          Bent Dalager, Ign. Techn. University of Trondheim, Norway. bcd@...
          Become an ignorant technocrat you too !!!