Re: Exhaustion and Dwarves

  • CHIP BENNETT
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30, 1994
      We learn something new every day. I had never even heard of
      rolemaster until long after playing MERP. Guess it was one of those
      system that no one really knew much or care much about locally.

      Yes, exhaustion rules do need work. The using of the endurance skill to
      compensate for special racial abilities, for those that prefer to have some
      written guidelines, is a usuable item. Of course a GM should use common sense,
      but not all have the desire to fudge with racial specials, and would prefer
      something more concise. It's the same with all the rules. If you don't like
      something, modify it to suit your tastes. The rules are just guidelines
      afterall.
    • MSAMUELS@VAXC.STEVENS-TECH.EDU
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 31, 1994
        From: IN%"rolemaster@..." 29-AUG-1994 19:57:05.27
        To: IN%"rolemaster@..." "Multiple recipients of list"
        CC:
        Subj: RE: Exhaustion and Dwarves

        We don't use the exhaustion rules either. They are basically useless in
        their current form (as I said in a previous post). But, I think that
        we`re onto something here. What is needed is a re-write of the exhaustion
        table AND racial multipliers for exhaustion.

        Comments?

        playable and realistic.

        Suggestions for tables?

        supplement.

        Suggestions for multipliers?

        1/2 for walking. Orcs seem to fall somewhere in the middle. Perhaps
        they exhaust just as fast as men, but because they are so tough their
        exhaustion penalties should be halved.
      • acd@hotld.att.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 1994
          supplement.
          Suggestions for multipliers?

          Hi,

          Here's what I wrote in ROCO IV to use level bonus, CON bonus and skill
          ranks to increase exhaustion points ( actually this text is from the
          draft and may have changed in print ). My players are happy with it.

          Ciao,
          Andrew
          ******
          Exhaustion Points

          Character and Campaign Law suggests that a character's Constitution
          characteristic be used for their exhaustion point total.
          Gamemasters may wish to use the several options presented here which
          vary the number of exhaustion points based on race and the athletic
          prowess of the character involved.

          Option 1: Exhaustion Points are figured with the Character's
          Constitution bonus taken into account, much like concussion points.
          Thus exhaustion points = CO stat * ( 1 + CO stat bonus ).

          Example: Grond the Troll has a 90 CO stat and a +20 CO stat
          bonus.
          His exhaustion point total is 90 * ( 1 + .2 ) = 108.

          Option 2: Those classes which have an Athletic skills level
          bonus represent those which have significant levels of regular
          training and thus should have a higher endurance.
          Their exhaustion point totals should have an extra factor based
          on level and skill level bonus.
          Thus exhaustion points = ( CO stat + skill level bonus * level ) *
          ( 1 + CO stat bonus ).

          Example: Grond is a Fighter and gets a +2 per level Athletic
          skill bonus.
          At fourth level he would have ( 90 + 2 * 4 ) -> 98 * 1.2 = 117.6
          or 118 exhaustion points.

          Option 3: In certain situations such as a frantic dash to a
          dropping portcullis or a long chase across a prairie, the Gamemaster
          may wish to figure exhaustion points including a skill appropriate
          to such a situation.

          Two such skills from RMC II are Sprinting and Distance Running.
          The rank bonus ( only, not level or stat bonus )
          in such a skill may be added to the exhaustion
          point total for the appropriate situation.
          Thus exhaustion points would equal ( CO stat + Athletic level bonus *
          level + skill rank bonus ) * ( 1 + CO stat bonus ).

          Option 3: Grond wishes to chase a squad of warg-mounted Orc
          cavalry across the plains. He has 5 ranks in Distance Running and the
          Gamemaster decides the skill is appropriate for this sort of chase.
          Grond ( still a 4th level Fighter ) would have ( 90 + 2 * 4 + 5 * 5 )
          -> 123 * 1.2 = 168.6 or 169 exhaustion points to work with.