Re: Contest is REALLY Over

  • Pauli
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 1996
      hi,

      At the risk of really putting my foot into my mouth and making a bigger fool
      of myself...

      I noticed that the answers to the contest are available now.
      (http://www.ironcrown.com/RMSS/RMContest1Answers.html)

      I've got a few comments about the solutions....

      Q1) I remembered the two training packages in GM Law last night, after the contest closed :-( The really idiotic thing is I remembered to check if they were lifestyle packages for Q3.

      Q5) Weapons with more than two different critical types.

      The notes I made while answering this question indicate that there are two more weapons capable of dealing more that two critical types: the Flail (does K, P & S crits) and the Whip (does G, U, K & S crits). I am certain that the Whip should be included (I couldn't have added two extra crit types could I?). I'm not sure about the Flail and it will have to wait until I leave work this afternoon to recheck Arms Law.

      Q6) Dark Drakes ought to be included reguardless of the Evil Essense lists.
      C&M P53: "A very rare few know the Sorcerer base lists as well."
      From my search, this was the only drake with possible extra spell lists. I figure the answer depends upon your definition of 'access'.

      Q10) Being 1 degree North of the 7 degree increment would change the sunrise time by one seventh of 15 minutes, wouldn't it? For an answer of 5:47 am (roughly). Since the answer was accepted within 15 minutes, this doesn't make any significant difference.

      Q11) The example on page 131 of RMSR gives details on a halfling dying from massive shock and it does include the Co bonus in the time till soul departure (it also does explicitly mention soul departure). On page 132 covering details of death, the Co bonus isn't included.

      I guess one of these should be in the errata (and I suspect, it will be the example on P131).

      Q13) The Spell Reins list contains two spells that, in their description text, say that the target spell has to make a RR at a fixed mod. These two do not include the '[fixed RR mod]' notation after the spell name that all the rest include, but it is still a fixed RR mod. If you include these two, which I didn't, you get 22 total.

      Pauli
      --
      Paul Dale | Paul.Dale@...
      Computer Centre | +61 77 814 551
    • RMGuru@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 1996

        > Q5) Weapons with more than two different critical types.
        >
        > The notes I made while answering this question indicate that there are two

        > more weapons capable of dealing more that two critical types: the Flail
        (does
        > K, P & S crits) and the Whip (does G, U, K & S crits). I am certain that
        the
        > Whip should be included (I couldn't have added two extra crit types could
        I?).
        > I'm not sure about the Flail and it will have to wait until I leave work
        > this afternoon to recheck Arms Law.
        Make sure you are using the RMSS version of Arms Law. The Flail and the Whip
        have only two types of crits each (whip = grapple and krush; flail = krush
        and puncture).

        > Q6) Dark Drakes ought to be included reguardless of the Evil Essense
        lists.
        > C&M P53: "A very rare few know the Sorcerer base lists as well."
        > >From my search, this was the only drake with possible extra spell lists.
        > figure the answer depends upon your definition of 'access'.
        Because they do not always have access, they would not count.

        > Q10) Being 1 degree North of the 7 degree increment would change the
        sunrise
        > time by one seventh of 15 minutes, wouldn't it? For an answer of 5:47 am (
        > roughly). Since the answer was accepted within 15 minutes, this doesn't
        make
        > any significant difference.
        I was only looking for the answer to the nearest 15 minutes (though most
        folks actually had 5:47am as their answer).

        > Q11) The example on page 131 of RMSR gives details on a halfling dying
        from
        > massive shock and it does include the Co bonus in the time till soul
        > departure (it also does explicitly mention soul departure). On page 132
        > covering details of death, the Co bonus isn't included.
        This one is tricky (wrestled with that example yesterday morning). What the
        section deals with is death due to massive shock (not death due to soul
        departure). It mentions the soul, but is unclear (it says something about
        recovering the soul). The next page (132) is very clear (18 rounds for
        halflings). If you study the example, you will see that something is not
        quite right; the term "racial modification to soul departure" is never
        defined (we changed terminology in this section and forgot to "redfine" this
        term). This section deals with how long it is before soul can be recovered;
        see the next page for the explicit rules on soul departure. Death happens at
        a fixed time.

        > Q13) The Spell Reins list contains two spells that, in their description
        > text, say that the target spell has to make a RR at a fixed mod. These two

        > do not include the '[fixed RR mod]' notation after the spell name that all
        > the rest include, but it is still a fixed RR mod. If you include these
        two,
        > which I didn't, you get 22 total.
        I was looking explicitely for spells with the [RR Mod: XX] in their
        description. Granted, the Spell Reins list has some spells that give RR mods
        that are fixed, I was using a more literal definition of RR Mods (actually
        Spell Reins has 3 spells, not 2, that have the same modification).

        Just FYI, the new contest will not be quite so vague; I mean it is just
        creating a character and there are no vague terms to be defined (can't be too
        hard can it?). <g>

        I was also checking the wording on the contest and realized that Paul should
        receive a copy of Underground Races; not Talent Law. As I have already sent
        him Talent Law (and he has indicated that he doesn't have it yet), I will
        also send him a copy of Underground Races (when it is released in late
        August/early September). Sorry about the mix up.

        John W. Curtis III
        Rolemaster Series Editor
        Electronic Media Director
        Iron Crown Enterprises, Inc.
        http://www.ironcrown.com/
      • Rapier
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 1996
          > > Q10) Being 1 degree North of the 7 degree increment would change the
          > sunrise
          > > time by one seventh of 15 minutes, wouldn't it? For an answer of 5:47 am (
          > > roughly). Since the answer was accepted within 15 minutes, this doesn't
          > make
          > > any significant difference.
          > I was only looking for the answer to the nearest 15 minutes (though most
          > folks actually had 5:47am as their answer).

          What has this question to do with roleplaying or RMSS?

          Fantasy worlds are numerous and time does not work the same way
          everywhere. I have not seen the original question but did it define the
          radius of the planet in question? Or the lenght of the attribute called
          minute if different from the one in use in our real world?

          Question about GM Law (as I suppose the answer to the previous thing was
          devireable from it): What are the two TP's included in it?

          * 'Let Chaos storm! | Marko Lehtinen aka Rapier
          O[&%&%&%&<====>========================================================-
          \______/|\__/ Dedicated Amiga-user now and in the future
          | -Rapier (malidman@...)
          * (http://www.kauhajoki.fi/~malidman/)
        • Pauli
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 1996
            hi,

            RM Guru wrote:

            >Make sure you are using the RMSS version of Arms Law. The Flail and the Whip
            >have only two types of crits each (whip = grapple and krush; flail = krush
            >and puncture).

            I checked again last night and I found exactly two occurances of Slash
            criticals for the Flail: AT3 on an 83 gives '7AS' and AT4 on an 87 also gives
            7AS. They are mighty well hidden, but they're there. I found the same
            mysterious criticals in RM2.

            For the Whip, vs AT1:
            roll result
            94 14AS
            95 15AU
            96 15AK
            97 15AG

            RM2's Whip table only had a single critical tyke (K from memory).

            Now either I've finished going mad, there are two different versions of RMSS
            Arms Law floating around, my vision has packed in or ...

            Could somebody please verify the above results?

            >I was looking explicitely for spells with the [RR Mod: XX] in their
            >description. Granted, the Spell Reins list has some spells that give RR mods
            >that are fixed, I was using a more literal definition of RR Mods (actually
            >Spell Reins has 3 spells, not 2, that have the same modification).

            Doesn't the third provide a mod to all spells that enter the area of effect
            and thus doesn't have a specific target? (there are quite a few other spells
            that provide fixed mods for an area of effect).

            Thanks for taking the time to make the other clarifications.

            >Just FYI, the new contest will not be quite so vague; I mean it is just
            >creating a character and there are no vague terms to be defined (can't be too
            >hard can it?). <g>

            Does it require talent law? My copy won't arrive for 3-4 months :-(

            >I was also checking the wording on the contest and realized that Paul should
            >receive a copy of Underground Races; not Talent Law. As I have already sent
            >him Talent Law (and he has indicated that he doesn't have it yet), I will
            >also send him a copy of Underground Races (when it is released in late
            >August/early September). Sorry about the mix up.

            This is awfully, awfully kind of you.
            Three cheers for the Guru!

            Pauli
            --
            Paul Dale | Paul.Dale@...
            Computer Centre | +61 77 814 551
            James Cook University |
            Australia, 4811 | Did you know that there are 42 two letter
            | words containing the letter 'a'?
          • William Beatty
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 1996
              I believe the two TP's in GM Law are Artist and Civil Servant...I'll have
              to check this after work...and I always work ;-)

              *****************************
              * William Beatty *
              Internet Help Desk Technician
              * wgbeatty@... *
              *****************************
            • Fredrik Sellevold
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 1996
                At 08:47 01.08.96 -0400, you wrote:

                >> Q5) Weapons with more than two different critical types.
                >>
                >> The notes I made while answering this question indicate that there are two
                >
                >> more weapons capable of dealing more that two critical types: the Flail
                >(does
                >> K, P & S crits) and the Whip (does G, U, K & S crits). I am certain that
                >the
                >> Whip should be included (I couldn't have added two extra crit types could
                >I?).
                >> I'm not sure about the Flail and it will have to wait until I leave work
                >> this afternoon to recheck Arms Law.
                >Make sure you are using the RMSS version of Arms Law. The Flail and the Whip
                >have only two types of crits each (whip = grapple and krush; flail = krush
                >and puncture).

                No, in fact the Whip _has_ three types of criticals. In addition to krush
                and grapple, it has a few slash results.

                Experience ya later!

                Fredrik Sellevold
                fredris@...
              • Bruce Langdon
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 1996
                  At 08:47 AM 8/1/96 -0400, you wrote:

                  >> Q5) Weapons with more than two different critical types.
                  >>
                  >> The notes I made while answering this question indicate that there are two
                  >>> more weapons capable of dealing more that two critical types: the Flail
                  >(does K, P & S crits) and the Whip (does G, U, K & S crits). I am certain that
                  >the Whip should be included (I couldn't have added two extra crit types could
                  >I?).
                  >> I'm not sure about the Flail and it will have to wait until I leave work
                  >> this afternoon to recheck Arms Law.
                  RM Guru replied,
                  >Make sure you are using the RMSS version of Arms Law. The Flail and the Whip
                  >have only two types of crits each (whip = grapple and krush; flail = krush
                  >and puncture).

                  I also counted 11 weapons with three or more crit types. The flail and the
                  whip are just as described above in the question. I checked my Arms Law
                  (even though I knew the answer) and found it my copy IS the RMSS version,
                  and it DOES show those two weapons as having three or more crit types.

                  Getting this question right would not have put me in the winners circle, and
                  that's not why I responded to this. I found the questions for the contest
                  to be very subjective to interpertation and not clearly defined. For
                  example, I found lots of spells with fixed RR mods that were not in little
                  brackets so I included them, the question didn't state not to, and I got the
                  answer wrong. I had fun playing the contest (and I drove John Curtis a
                  little mad, I think), but it was discouraging trying to decipher the
                  questions as to what to include in the answers.

                  I look forward to another contest, and hopefully less harassment from me to
                  John.
                  That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
                  Cenwulf
                  cenwulf@...
                • Dave Craft
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2, 1996
                    At 08:11 AM 8/2/96 -0400, you wrote:

                    >>Make sure you are using the RMSS version of Arms Law. The Flail and the Whip
                    >>have only two types of crits each (whip = grapple and krush; flail = krush
                    >>and puncture).
                    >
                    >I checked again last night and I found exactly two occurances of Slash
                    >criticals for the Flail: AT3 on an 83 gives '7AS' and AT4 on an 87 also gives
                    >7AS. They are mighty well hidden, but they're there. I found the same
                    >mysterious criticals in RM2.

                    I can confirm that...and since I own nothing BUT RMSS, I don't think I'm
                    looking it up in the wrong version. <g>

                    >For the Whip, vs AT1:
                    > roll result
                    > 94 14AS (14AK)
                    > 95 15AU (15AG)
                    > 96 15AK (15AK)
                    > 97 15AG (15AK)

                    Now this one I can't confirm. I've listed mine above.

                    >RM2's Whip table only had a single critical tyke (K from memory).
                    >
                    >Now either I've finished going mad, there are two different versions of RMSS
                    >Arms Law floating around, my vision has packed in or ...
                    >
                    >Could somebody please verify the above results?

                    Looks like we might have different versions of Arms Law; mine's the
                    second printing. Perhaps they caught an error somewhere.
                    Stormhound
                    DNRC Ombudsman for Induhvidual Affairs, Holder of Past Knowledge
                    Come visit my home page: http://www.sound.net/~stormhnd
                  • RMGuru@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 4, 1996

                      > I checked again last night and I found exactly two occurances of Slash
                      > criticals for the Flail: AT3 on an 83 gives '7AS' and AT4 on an 87 also
                      > gives
                      > 7AS. They are mighty well hidden, but they're there. I found the same
                      > mysterious criticals in RM2.

                      I went back and re-checked, and you are right! Unfortunately, I cannot back
                      track on the contest. There should be one more (totalling 10) on that
                      question.

                      > For the Whip, vs AT1:
                      > roll result
                      > 94 14AS
                      > 95 15AU
                      > 96 15AK
                      > 97 15AG
                      I don't see it in my copy (granted, my first printing copy has been packed;
                      I'm looking at second printing; but I don't think we changed it from 1st to
                      2nd printing).

                      John W. Curtis III
                      Rolemaster Series Editor
                      Electronic Media Director
                      Iron Crown Enterprises, Inc.
                      http://www.ironcrown.com/
                    • Bruce Langdon
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 6, 1996
                        At 02:13 PM 8/4/96 -0400, John W. Curtis III wrote:

                        >> For the Whip, vs AT1:
                        >> roll result
                        >> 94 14AS
                        >> 95 15AU
                        >> 96 15AK
                        >> 97 15AG
                        >I don't see it in my copy (granted, my first printing copy has been packed;
                        >I'm looking at second printing; but I don't think we changed it from 1st to
                        >2nd printing).

                        I don't know which printing I have, but in mine the whip has 4 crit types.
                        (it is the RMSS edition of Arms Law)