Re: about our campaign....

  • MattB
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 1996
      >So are these items too powerful for 15th character?

      In my world, yes. That character would find himself naked and hanging from
      chains WITHOUT all the toys.

      ..but as a GM that has given out a thing or two that has been way to
      powerful, I learned. I still find myself giving out an occasional toy that
      is a bit too powerful.

      The best thing to do. Print out your message along with all the responses
      and show them to him. He might think you guys are enjoying yourself and
      the only way he can please you is to give out more toys.

      Matt B
    • Randy Schultz
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 1996
        Arto Repola spaketh thusly:
        -{character Artifacts too easily (hell i'm now playing Evil Cleric which
        -{is at 15th level and it has 3 artifacts,well i'm not complaining but is
        -{this too much for 15th level character to have 3 artifacts????)Our GM
        -{has customized these three artifacts for me which are: Morning star
        -{which delivers X4-damage,additional impact and disintegration critical
        -{strikes (same severity) and it can be thrown as Lance by using Lance
        -{attack table--quite butcher?Also i have two more artifacts one of them
        -{is ring (sorry,don't remember specs cause by character sheet is at my
        -{friend home) and i have chain mail which accumulates as AT1 but protects
        -{as AT20,immune for Krush criticals and automatically cast Lifegiving
        -{True into wielder 1/month if wielder get killed (also includes Brain
        -{regeneration etc in order to repair whole guy)This is almost like
        -{TrueWish and Artifical body,right?So are these items too powerful for
        -{15th character?

        Depends on the world. Somebody posted a while back about his 5th level
        dwarf that had:
        1) immovable will
        2) armor that negates 40% of all crits
        3) a battle axe that did heat and impact crits
        4) a pair of mithrils throwing hammers, range 200 feet, that did heat,
        impact and unbalancing crits
        5) "more hitpoints than some demons" (I believe that is an accuate
        quote)

        This same person also had a spell-caster that had more than 500 power
        points(can't remember the exact #). Said caster was about 8th level.

        "Too powerful" is too relative to the world. The point is having fun.

        -{
        -{Our campaigns are typically "Oh Brave heroes,rescue my daughter and half
        -{of my kingdom/treasure will be yours"-type! Do you have anything
        -{good suggestions in here folks.I'm not willing to talk about these
        -{things with our GM but what do u think in here?

        Yeah, that can get old quick.

        I think I'ld definitely talk to the gm. If you feel uncomfortable about
        that try doing other stuff. Try stuff like "Hey, I am going to this
        library to look for info about that. I also am going to talk to so-and-so
        about that." Or "I am going to research other planes of existance. I
        don't care about rescuing anybody."

        --

        Randy (schultz@...) 715-726-2832

        2.998x10**8 m/sec - it's not just a good idea, it's the law.
      • Joel Blair
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 1996
          > Our campaigns are typically "Oh Brave heroes,rescue my daughter and half
          > of my kingdom/treasure will be yours"-type! Do you have anything
          > good suggestions in here folks.I'm not willing to talk about these
          > things with our GM but what do u think in here?

          """I'm gonna stand back and watch the fire-works from this one. >:)
          ("Look Honey, we're celebrating early this year"-Joel to significant Lorie)

          Malcolm
        • Malikto@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 1996

            << Subj: about our campaign....
            Hello everybody!

            <snip>
            Now we have quite typical campaign going on but it sucks!Our GM makes only
            "Slaughter-campaigns" so everything is solved by using violence and our GM
            gives for our character Artifacts too easily (hell i'm now playing Evil
            Cleric which
            is at 15th level and it has 3 artifacts,well i'm not complaining but is this
            too much for 15th level character to have 3 artifacts????)
            <snip>
            Our campaigns are typically "Oh Brave heroes,rescue my daughter and half
            of my kingdom/treasure will be yours"-type! Do you have anything
            good suggestions in here folks.I'm not willing to talk about these
            things with our GM but what do u think in here?

            You've got a typical monty-hall, hack-n-slash GM. I would not be surprised
            if he/she was weened on D&D/AD&D. It has been my experience that GM's of
            this type have come from D&D/AD&D games and continued in the typical
            hack-n-slash mode of this system. I know that their are good D&D/AD&D GM's
            out there too, but I have met few.

            Suggestions? How about getting another player to run for a while. Rotating
            GM's can keep interest up and provide variety not to mention understanding of
            running a game. Our group regulary rotates the GM every few months or every
            campaign. One person likes MERP, another Shadow World, low level, mid level,
            high level PC's, etc., the variety keeps us all interested and we sometimes
            return to a previous campaign and continue it after a break. If your
            relationship with your GM is not open enough to voice your dissatisfaction,
            this may be the only way, short of leaving the group, to achieve a change.

            Good luck
          • Arto Repola
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 2, 1996
              > In my world, yes. That character would find himself naked and hanging from
              > chains WITHOUT all the toys.

              Heh,well we are already in BIG trouble.My character was just
              stunned in combat and he is now in some sort of Demon world
              where they are doing some experimental test into my character
              They are trying to alter my mind as it would be Demon and they
              are trying to create for me some sort of new skin type (AT 20)
              That is even worser situation than that hanging from chains :)

              > ..but as a GM that has given out a thing or two that has been way to
              > powerful, I learned. I still find myself giving out an occasional toy that
              > is a bit too powerful.

              Well we have experienced this so many times thati'm so
              bored about it!

              > The best thing to do. Print out your message along with all the responses
              > and show them to him. He might think you guys are enjoying yourself and
              > the only way he can please you is to give out more toys.

              Ok,gotta do that.Thanks man!

              http://www.netppl.fi/~arrepola
              "There is and old vulcan prophet:
              Only Nixon go to china" -Spock,Star Trek VI"
            • Arto Repola
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 2, 1996
                > Are you having fun? Are you bored? if not, then there's not problem at
                > all. Gaming is ABOUT entertainment. If not, then you either must speak to
                > your GM or you must find a group which suits your tastes better. If they
                > don't play Rolemaster, join anyways and convert them. The conversion is an
                > easy process.

                Well we are not really *bored* but some new fresh ideas would
                be fine....

                > Opinion: I would be bored and probably abuse the GM for entertainment
                > value, but then again, I'm pretty mean spirited. My game involves very
                > little violence, substituting long roleplaying sessions.

                Well that's what we would like to have it.It's really boring
                to solve puzzles by using violence over and over again....

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 2, 1996
                  > Perhaps the time has come for you to take the plunge and become a GM
                  > yourself. Go on, you know you can do it and you might even enjoy it!

                  Me as GM,heh,heh.Not a change! I don't know anything about
                  Gm stuffs.I only few ideas about campaign planning so my
                  campaigns would be just killing monsters/collecting treasures.
                  I just don't have any ideas for Campaigns.... :(

                  > A long time ago, I remember a GM who faced a revolt from all his players
                  > because they wanted to be the GM for once. After suitable debate, he gave
                  > in, and each erstwhile player had the chance to GM. Two of them weren't
                  > cut out for it, and never volunteered again, the other player turned into
                  > a reasonable GM and office of GM then alternated from henceforth, giving
                  > two different styles of GMing.

                  Well we used this technique back in 1987 when we played D&D.
                  Our Gm wanted to play Magician and then we just *switched*
                  these parts and it went pretty fine.Gotta suggest our Gm
                  to switch parts again...

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 2, 1996
                    > Depends on the world. Somebody posted a while back about his 5th level
                    > dwarf that had:
                    > 1) immovable will
                    > 2) armor that negates 40% of all crits
                    > 3) a battle axe that did heat and impact crits
                    > 4) a pair of mithrils throwing hammers, range 200 feet, that did heat,
                    > impact and unbalancing crits
                    > 5) "more hitpoints than some demons" (I believe that is an accuate
                    > quote)
                    >
                    > This same person also had a spell-caster that had more than 500 power
                    > points(can't remember the exact #). Said caster was about 8th level.
                    >
                    > "Too powerful" is too relative to the world. The point is having fun.

                    Whoa! This character sound like some 25-30 level character
                    instead.There is no pointing to play so powerful character
                    as that would be especially in so low level as that was!

                    > Yeah, that can get old quick.

                    it sure do! :)

                    > I think I'ld definitely talk to the gm. If you feel uncomfortable about
                    > that try doing other stuff. Try stuff like "Hey, I am going to this
                    > library to look for info about that. I also am going to talk to so-and-so
                    > about that." Or "I am going to research other planes of existance. I
                    > don't care about rescuing anybody."

                    Well that's is one good idead to approach this problem BUT
                    it's really frustating to search other realms and element
                    levels.For example my previous character Astral Traveller
                    forgot to cast some protection spells before i entered
                    FireElement plane,just guess what happened to my character :)

                    But thanks anyway!

                    http://www.netppl.fi/~arrepola
                    "There is and old vulcan prophet:
                    Only Nixon go to china" -Spock,Star Trek VI"
                  • Daniel E. Crosby
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 2, 1996
                      On Tue, 2 Jul 1996 Mcg339@... wrote:

                      > Opinion: I would be bored and probably abuse the GM for entertainment
                      > value, but then again, I'm pretty mean spirited. My game involves very
                      > little violence, substituting long roleplaying sessions.

                      I was wondering if I was the only person like this. When I first started
                      GMing most of my games consisted of: "You run into some orcs. You run into
                      some more orcs. You run into a dragon." etc etc. and I thought it was
                      great because we were all having a good time. Now, it is not uncommon to
                      go several sessions without having a single combat (at least not a major
                      one) and even my most bloodthirsty players seem to love it. Anything can
                      work.
                    • Joel Blair
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 2, 1996
                        > Whoa! This character sound like some 25-30 level character
                        > instead.There is no pointing to play so powerful character
                        > as that would be especially in so low level as that was!

                        Nawww... There were lots more NPCs that were a lot more powerful
                        than that character. And it doesn't matter what Toys you have, there will
                        still be someone better than you (spell-casting or fighting) and someone
                        who gives you a weakness (role-playing wise. like that ol' grandma of
                        yours that the bad guys are always picking on, etc.). Thats just life.
                      • Jonathan E Cary
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 2, 1996
                          Arto Repola wrote:

                          > Me as GM,heh,heh.Not a change! I don't know anything about
                          > Gm stuffs.I only few ideas about campaign planning so my
                          > campaigns would be just killing monsters/collecting treasures.
                          > I just don't have any ideas for Campaigns.... :(

                          Well, you can steal heavily from movies, books, comic books...
                          For example, you could rip off the plot from Die Hard, and drop it
                          into a fantasy setting with a little bit of work. Your players
                          would never recognize it. (Okay, this isn't the most ROLE-playing
                          heavy plot I could think of, but you get the idea.) There's really
                          nothing arcane or secretive about GMing -- all it takes is about 10%
                          creativity, 20% dedication, and 70% sweat.

                          > Well we used this technique back in 1987 when we played D&D.
                          > Our Gm wanted to play Magician and then we just *switched*
                          > these parts and it went pretty fine.Gotta suggest our Gm
                          > to switch parts again...

                          Do you mean that your GM switched places and became a player while
                          someone else took over the GMing? Or did he switch one of your PCs
                          for one of his NPCs?

                          --
                          Jon Cary - jcary@...
                          - joncary@...
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 3, 1996
                            > You've got a typical monty-hall, hack-n-slash GM. I would not be surprised
                            > if he/she was weened on D&D/AD&D. It has been my experience that GM's of
                            > this type have come from D&D/AD&D games and continued in the typical
                            > hack-n-slash mode of this system. I know that their are good D&D/AD&D GM's
                            > out there too, but I have met few.

                            In FACT he quitted D&D playing and started to GM Rolemaster
                            right away.That's why he is used to put so many monsters against
                            us that there is atleast 2-3 battles in hour. :(

                            > Suggestions? How about getting another player to run for a while. Rotating
                            > GM's can keep interest up and provide variety not to mention understanding of
                            > running a game. Our group regulary rotates the GM every few months or every
                            > campaign. One person likes MERP, another Shadow World, low level, mid level,
                            > high level PC's, etc., the variety keeps us all interested and we sometimes
                            > return to a previous campaign and continue it after a break. If your
                            > relationship with your GM is not open enough to voice your dissatisfaction,
                            > this may be the only way, short of leaving the group, to achieve a change.

                            Well do u mean that i should play let's say 3 characters same
                            time?I don't have any experience about Shadow World because
                            we have only one book about it!
                          • Mcg339@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 8, 1996

                              << I was wondering if I was the only person like this. >>

                              No, you aren't. However, you are still in a (slowly growing) minority.
                              The RM Gencon and Origins (and Dragon con, 3 rivers con, etc...) events are
                              geared towards ROLEPLAYING, not COMBAT. If you play your role well, you do
                              well.

                              Todd
                            • PhilGiles@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 10, 1996
                                In a message dated 09/07/96 10:42:06, you write:

                                ><< I was wondering if I was the only person like this. >>
                                >
                                > No, you aren't. However, you are still in a (slowly growing) minority.
                                > The RM Gencon and Origins (and Dragon con, 3 rivers con, etc...) events are
                                >geared towards ROLEPLAYING, not COMBAT. If you play your role well, you do
                                >well.

                                Well that makes a pleasant change from the Gencon events here in the UK,
                                where you do well if you shout a lot. No subtltly required!

                                Phil