RHS coach.

  • tommyeshs47
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 24, 2010
      I appreciated having the name list to go with the pictures. I added a question but I don't see it attached to the Messages so I'll ask again.

      Wasn't Elmo Scott associated with the old machine shop located near the Frisco Depot?
    • Helen Price
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 25, 2010
        Yes, it was run by his father and maybe an uncle. I am not sure about an uncle but it was family run. As far as I know Elmo was not involved in that business. He was civics teacher and football coach. He was very much loved by his team. Sorry I didn't get your first message.
      • Tom Hughes
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 25, 2010

          Hi Helen ---thanks for the info and thanks to Ted for his offer to research that question during his upcoming visit to Rogers.

          When we were there in June I stopped by the Townzen Barber Shop just to say hi to Gary.  It was late on  Friday afternoon and the shop was full.

          I could see by the expressions on the customer's faces that they hoped I wouldn't involve him in a long conversation, so I didn't. :-)

          He said he was working on his 2011 Rogers calendar.  I purchase those through the Rogers Historical Museum.

          We also visited the museum and had a nice chat with Dr. Bland and watched their Monte Ne video.
        • Helen Price
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 25, 2010
            I didn't know who the writer was. I thought maybe he was a former student who knew I dated Elmo Scott. I went to see him when he was stationed in Illinois. He was special.
          • Tom Hughes
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 25, 2010
              Jack Barron is responsible for organizing this Rogers Yahoo group and it was he who posted all the photos and name lists.  You're credited with providing some of those pictures. Jack graduated at about the same time you did.  What year was that Jack?

              Tom

              I didn't know who the writer was. I thought maybe he was a former student who knew I dated Elmo Scott. I went to see him when he was stationed in Illinois. He was special.
            • Jack Barron
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 25, 2010
                Tom, I was afraid I wopuld miss WWII so I went through HS in three years graduating in 1942. Needless to say I did not miss anything. :-)
                Jack

                From: Tom Hughes <tvtom@...>
                To: rogersaralumni@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wednesday, August 25, 2010, 1:42 PM

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 25, 2010
                  Tom, what is the given name of Dr. Bland?
                  Jack

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 25, 2010

                    It's Dr. Gaye Bland.  The museum home page Staff section says that she joined the Rogers Museum in 1991 after having been at the Siloam Springs Museum. A very nice person.
                  • tedrpf@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 25, 2010
                      Where is the museum located?  If I ever knew, I have forgotten.  Thanks for info.   Ted Pfrimmer

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 25, 2010
                        It's located at 301 W. Chestnut in what used to be the Hawkins home.  Open Mon thru Sat 10A to 5 P.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 25, 2010
                          Ted--- That W. Chestnut address is the one on the museum web page but it didn't seem right to me so I went to MSN maps and looked at Rogers with the bird's eye view.

                          As I suspected, the museum sits at the NW corner of S 2nd and W Cherry streets.  It's just south of the old 1930's Post Office bldg. which is now a museum storage facility.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 26, 2010
                            Thanks for the update, Tom.