Internet explorer sucks big

  • vali
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2000
      Ati putea sa credeti ca lucrind cu "sursa" html-ului (asta e o
      exprimare stupida, html-ul e sursa ...) nu ati putea avea nici o
      problema. Nu si daca folositi internet explorer pentru a explora si
      salva diferite html-uri. Mai precis luati un link dintr-un html
      oaracare si incercati sa puneti prin cale backslashuri (\). Sau
      inlocuiti cite un / cu \. Sa lasam la o parte faptul ca IE-ul mere
      bine si cu \ in loc de /. Dar chestia e ca le inlocuieste (dupa un
      algoritm pe care nu am reusit sa il determin) si in "view page
      source", si de asemenea cind le salveaza in html. Si asta intr-un mod
      euristic, de ex. nu am reusit sa il determin niciodata sa imi ignore \
      dintr-o cale de genul /images\/test.gif decit daca am bagat width si
      height. Mai mult decit ultraciudat.

      Si aceasta manipulare a sursei are loc chiar la una dintre cele mai
      simple chestii posibile (un link). Cum draq sa depanezi un javascript
      de ex. cind nu esti sigur ca ceea ce vezi tu este de fapt ceea ce e pe
      server si ceea ce le este servit altor utilizatori (care e f. posibil
      sa aibe alte browsere).

      Iata si dupa ce m-am inspirat :

      Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:36:48 +0100 (BST)
      From: Lloyd Wood <l.wood@...>
      Subject: When what you see isn't what you get

      One of our web users seems to have had a lot of trouble with broken
      links in
      his personal webpages on our Apache webserver over the last couple of
      years.

      Instead of / as a directory terminator, he'd have \. Or he'd have
      bizarre
      stuff like /\Directory\ instead of /Directory/ in his broken links.

      I'd put it all down to him being a Microsoft fanboy who didn't know
      what he
      was doing; after all, he was generating the HTML pages using Microsoft
      Word,
      and therefore deserved everything he got.

      (bugs in Frontpage such as leaving in local file:c:\\\ urls for
      images, so
      only the author gets to see incredibly fast-loading images when he
      checks
      his composed pages, are well-known.)

      However, I had occasion to use Microsoft's Internet Explorer 5.5
      today. So,
      I went to view his pages to see the world through his eyes.

      And, through his eyes, everything worked just fine, as if there were
      no
      backslashes there at all. Every known-to-be-broken link did just the
      right
      thing. Which was odd, because I knew the links in the pages stored on
      our
      Apache server hadn't changed.

      So I viewed source in IE, and discovered... no backslashes. IE
      *stripped
      out or converted the backslashes* before rendering the source to
      screen -
      even before rendering the source to 'view source'.

      The user wouldn't know the backslashes were there, because IE was
      *deliberately hiding and converting them* for him, presumably in order
      compensate for the html rendering deficiencies of other Microsoft
      products -
      and interoperability with non-Microsoft browsers be damned. The user
      thought he was doing a good job, based on checking using the tools in
      front
      of him.

      If you view source, you expect to see the actual source, and not a
      prefiltered version. This filtering is clearly a risk in that it
      allows
      behaviour that would previously have been clearly exposed as bugs in
      the
      composing products to stay, unnoticed and uncorrected, because it
      means you
      can't trust the tool you're using, and because it screws up
      interoperability
      testing. (Which, because IE comes from Microsoft, is hardly a
      surprise.)