They're baaaaaack!

  • Steve Hogan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 3:52 PM
      http://entertainment.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4459,6224512%255E10431%255E%255Enbv,00.html

      Cold Chisel comeback
      April 02, 2003

      LEGENDARY Australian band Cold Chisel will reunite to perform two special
      in-the-round concerts at Sydney's Hordern Pavilion on June 3 and 4.

      Known as Ringside, the two shows see the band play in a more intimate setting,
      with the furthest seat being no more than 25m from the stage.

      The idea came from the small stage six-song bracket the band performed during
      its Last Wave of Summer tour in 1998.

      The two shows take the idea one major step further � turning it into a 2� hour
      showcase of the band's back catalogue.

      "So far we've done two weeks of casual rehearsals at my place, and already the
      band has a swing about it that it didn't have the last time we played
      together," regular Confidential reader Jimmy Barnes said.

      Another influence behind the Ringside shows is Elvis Presley's 1968 comeback TV
      special.

      The Chisel performance will be filmed and recorded for album and DVD release.
      There are no plans for a tour, so these tickets will go off quicker than a
      slice of camembert in a heatwave. Tickets go on sale on April 14 and are
      available through Ticketek.

      The Daily Telegraph

      =====
      Steve Hogan
      http://platinum.yahoo.com
    • dunks58
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2003
        Hi folks,

        Well the Dunks family is back from our o/s jaunt, tired but happy. We had a fantastic time, met some wonderful people, including the marvellous Bobbi Marchini, caught up with old friends, saw some amazing sites and sights and generally had a ball.

        Above, our kids were real troupers and coped with the whole thing magnificently, and we were very fortunate that nothing was stolen, nothing/nobody got lost, we didn't miss a flight or a train, we didn't get ripped off ... much ... AND I found a copy of Spectrum Part One in the flea markets in Athens hahah. Who could ask for more?

        And perhaps best of all, I finally met some e-friends from the 'Chalkhills' XTC mailing list while we were in Washington -- John Relph, Todd Bernhardt and Harrison Sherwood (is that a great name or what?). PLUS I had the inestimable pleasure of seeing Todd and Harrison's delightfully-named band "Scooby Don't" at a bar in Maryland. They were fatastic, and you can imagine how touched and proud I was when the guys launched into a fantastic rendition of "Friday On My Mind" and dedicated it to me ... *sniff* ... I'm getting all verklempt ... talk amongst yourselves ...

        On the down side, I really missed the Scars list and suffered major MILESAGO withdrawal symptoms. I was terribly sad to hear about Barry Sullivan, and of course there were several other sad losses while we were away, e.g. Slim and Robert Palmer, Olive Cotton, etc. *sigh* Tempus figit.

        What else? A hearty welcome to the new members of the list! We've picked up some recruits recently, so to all of you, thanks for joining, post early, post often and enjoy!

        I must say again what a FANTASTIC time we had with Bobbi Marchini. As well as being a lovely person who looked after us like royalty, we had the chance to have many long chats about her amazing life and times. Boy, could I tell you some gossip! but I'm sworn to secrecy. hahah. It was a great week. Now all I have to do is update her page on the site!

        Sign me up for the "Easys for the Hall Of Fame" campaign. This is a disgrace. Likewise, I can't understand why Alberts don't do anything about properly curating the Easys' legacy. I mean, aren't Harry and George still partners in the company? I always understood they had a share in it? Is that no longer the case? Surely someone there has to do something before too long?

        Great to hear about the success of the Hard Road gigs -- wish I could have been there and if anyone sees Stevie, please give him our best regards. I also got an email from Tony Barber while I was away about the release of his behind-the-scenes book about the LWTTT tour -- sounds like it's doing really well and is a good read -- any reviews?

        I was frankly gutted to read the glowing reports about the Yes concerts. I waited thirty years to see these guys and I get dudded. Sheesh! As you may know, I had to cash in my ticket because the rescheduled concert fell after we left for o/s. Bugger. Curse those accident-prone singers.

        I felt bad anough about that, but then I discovered while we were in London that our host, Phil, had tickets to a David Sylvian concert but hadn't been able to use them because he was working, so his seat went unused. Had we realised our mutual interest, I could have gone in his place, but he didn't realise I was into Sylvian and we didn't discover this tiny tragedy until about a week after the concert. Grrrr!

        THEN to my ultimate chagrin, I got home to discover that not only has PRINCE (shriek!) just toured here, but that he had both the legendary Maceo Parker Jr AND Larry Graham in his band AND they played all the hits AND they did a show at the Basement. I could have ripped my own head off. Goddam.

        Oh well ... as Steven Wright says: "You can't have everything ... where would you put it?"

        Anyway, I'm gradually getting back into the swing of things and finding my feet again with the site and list. Much to catch up on, but it's nice to be back. Hope everyone has been and is well.

        Cheers

        Dunks
      • Tony Jaggers
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2003
          > Well the Dunks family is back from our o/s jaunt, tired but happy. We had
          a fantastic time, met some wonderful people, including the marvellous Bobbi
          Marchini, caught up with old friends, saw some amazing sites and sights and
          generally had a ball.
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/IMai8D/UYQGAA/cIoLAA/vEfwlB/TM

        • Tony Jaggers
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2003
            Dunks,
            Glad to hear your back and especially glad to hear you'd be happy to support
            a push to get the Easys into the Hall of Fame.
            Will pass you thoughts on to Stevie....and will wait untill you've fully
            revovered and pick ya brains as to how we could best go about this.
            Tony Barbers book is a very humerous read...recommend it fully....I gave my
            copy to Fay and Stevie as thanks for putting up with my badgering them for
            weeks into an interview....Fay is getting right into the Internet and I have
            steered her towards scars and Milesago..but wouldn't you know it ..on the
            day I showed her the Stevie Wright link wasn't working
            The Hard Road concert was a blast....theres some photos uploaded to the
            scars homepage and i'll send ya my review
            off list....
            Things have been quiet while you were gone.....lets rev it up

            Cheers

            Tony

            > Well the Dunks family is back from our o/s jaunt, tired but happy. We had
            a fantastic time, met some wonderful people, including the marvellous Bobbi
            Marchini, caught up with old friends, saw some amazing sites and sights and
            generally had a ball.

          • blasty
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 11, 2003
              Welcome back Dunks ! I missed Yes as well -but I did go to a fabulous Joe
              Jackson Band Concert -the original combo and they played all da good shit at
              the State Theatre! PS Are you on the XtC Idea site yet -i havent seen your
              posts yet !

              Blasty
> [...]
              but he didn't realise I was into Sylvian and we didn't discover this tiny
              tragedy until about a week after the concert. Grrrr!

              > THEN to my ultimate chagrin, I got home to discover that not only has
              PRINCE (shriek!) just toured here, but that he had both the legendary Maceo
              Parker Jr AND Larry Graham in his band AND they played all the hits AND they
              did a show at the Basement. I could have ripped my own head off. Goddam.

              > Oh well ... as Steven Wright says: "You can't have everything ... where
              would you put it?"

              > Anyway, I'm gradually getting back into the swing of things and finding my
              feet again with the site and list. Much to catch up on, but it's nice to be
              back. Hope everyone has been and is well.

              > Cheers
              >
              > Dunks
              >

              > MILESAGO: Australasian music and popular culture 1964-1975

            • Andrew
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 12, 2003
                Welcome back Dunks,
                Missed your input...