What's new?

  • Duncan Kimball
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2000
      Hi folks,

      A few items for you:

      - MILESAGO registered 1300 hits as of today!

      - I had a great chat with Kerry McKenna from Madder Lake last Friday, adding
      to the archive of information we're collecting about the group. I'll be
      posting that to the site as soon as possible. One fascinating item that
      Kerry passed on: when he and Brendan Mason were playing in San Sebastian in
      the late 60s (before Mick Fettes etc joined and they changed the name), they
      did quite a lot of work around Melbourne as a backing band for solo singers
      like Ronnie Burns and Russell Morris. According to Kerry, San Sebastian was
      Russell's backing group the first time he ever played "The Real Thing" live
      on stage. How about that?!

      - "The Jim Conway Blues", the recent documentary about Jim's life and music,
      is screening on SBS this Friday at 8:30pm. Don't miss it! (Seems SBS have
      picked up the baton that ABC have dropped re: the broadcast of music
      documentaries etc.)

      - The "Turn Up Your Radio" saga continues ... according to the Masters'
      website, the screening date has been rescheduled AGAIN! Now it will
      apparently screen on 23 June at 10:30pm. [How appropriate - JJJ are playing
      Public Enemy's "Don't Believe The Hype" as I write.]

      - I had a brief but VERY interesting talk with Warren Barnett, Festival's
      chief archivist, last week. He seems like a delightful chap, I must say.
      Naturally I congratulated him on the excellent work he's been doing with
      Festival's reissue series.

      Warren tells me that there are more in the pipeline, and that as Festival's
      50th anniversary approaches there will a wideranging series of reissues from
      the Spin, Go!!, Infinity and Mushroom and Du Monde labels. He's also doing a
      lot of work with Vicious Sloth, restoring and reissuing albums through their
      label, like the Melissa and Galadriel LPs I mentioned previously. Warren got
      my mouth watering even more by revealing that Volume II of the excellent "So
      You Wanna Be A Rock'n'Roll Star" compilation is in the works. Cooool! (If
      you don't have this already - just get it! 3CD set for about $4O, loaded
      with stacks of classic 60s and 70s singles, and many very rare tracks.)

      The only sad note was his revelation that the reissue program has been
      undertaken in the face of some considerable opposition from certain sections
      of the company, who feel that FMG's resources could be better directed
      towards promoting "artists" like Britney Spears .... *sigh* ... le plus ´┐Ża
      change ...

      - On a related subject - a little bird tells me that we can expect a name
      change for the Festival-Mushroom Group in the near future.

      Hope everyone has an enjoyable week,

      Dunks
    • Craig Regan
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 2000
        Re: [rocknroll-scars] What's new? on 27/11/00 1:56 PM, Duncan Kimball at dunks58@... wrote:

        Finally (and I MUST get back to work) we note with sadness the passing of journo Paul Lyneham, who died of lung cancer in Sydney on Nov 24, aged 55.<snip>

        ...He will doubtless be best-remembered for his classic "Is there blood on your hands tonight?" question to Bob Hawke, after the dumping of Bill Hayden as leader.

        Uhhh....it was Richard Carleton, wasn't it?

        The I-94 Bar: Sydney Rock Action via The Bowery and Motor City
        http://www.i94bar.com

      • Michael Hunter
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 26, 2000
          Well, colour me pedantic -

          I thought it was Richard Carlton who came up with the "blood on your hands"
          question"...?

          MH

          --
          Fiddlestix: the fanzine of the Australian Friends Of Fairport (est. 1985).
          http://www.geocities.com/fidstix2/
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 2000

            Another week begins steamrollering over us ...

            Gig reports --

            I saw KBE on Saturday night. Just brilliant. First set was semi-acoustic, with Kev on Dobro. A beauty. Second set was electric, and included (yummm) Gonna See My Baby Tonight and Morning Good Morning. Easy to forget what a killer this guy is til you seem him in full flight. NOt a great crowd, regrettably, but Kev gave it 100% and really burned up on lead in the second set, plus some beautiful slide work in the first set. Kudos also to bassist Ben Rosen( a very fine player) and substitute drummer Mark Mansfield, who did great work, expecially considering it was his first time playing with them. (Their regular drummer is Kev's son Lucius, whose own band Cog had an clashing booking that night). Mark's CV isn't known to me but he was damn good.

            Kev closed the electric set with a storming version of Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile" (which segued beautifully into a jam on James Brown's "Sex Machine"!) Awesome. I was also knocked out to discover that Kev still owns and uses the cherry-red Gibson SG that he played with the La De Das, which is pictured on Kev's website and in the pic on our own La De Das page on MILESAGO, where he is playing it at Sunbury. Amazing it survived!

            I also heartily recommend KBE's One Night Jamm, which is available from the same source - ask Jennifer! (A very nice lady!) It features both Ross Wilson AND a long-overdue return by the great Wendy Saddington (whose voice, while sounding a little the worse for wear, can still send shivers up your spine). A great mix of acoustic and electric stuff, including some blues standards with Ross on harp, some new songs sung by Wendy, and a specially-written newie by The Boss. This gig was doubly historic, being the FIRST TIME Ross and Kev had ever played together! Go get it.

            ALSO - this pissed me off a bit cos I couldnt go but -- as I was driving off to the KBE gig I stopped at the intersection opposite the Empire Hotel in Annadale and was amazed to read on the marquee that Broderick Smith was playing there that eveningl (Bugger!). Hopefully he'll do some more gigs while he's here?!

            Finally (and I MUST get back to work) we note with sadness the passing of journo Paul Lyneham, who died of lung cancer in Sydney on Nov 24, aged 55. The acerbic political commentator was also a noted Oz Rock fan, and a performer himself on the Canberra scene in his earlier days, with his group The Bitter Lemons. He will doubtless be best-remembered for his classic "Is there blood on your hands tonight?" question to Bob Hawke, after the dumping of Bill Hayden as leader.

            Dunks

            >From: Narrell Brown
            >To: Rock n Roll Scars Newsgroup , Australian Music group
            >Subject: [rocknroll-scars] kevin borich
            >Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:58:57 +1100
            >
            >I am so totally blown away byt the latest offering form Kevin Borich. He
            >has done a treatment of Waltzing Matilda and Advance Australia Fair on a
            >CD single. Totally instrumental and totally brilliant.
            >If anyone recalls Jimi Hendrix' treatment of Stars and Stripes then you
            >will know exactly where this is coming from.
            >I believe it is available from Jennifer by mail:
            >jennifer@...
            >www.kevinborich.com
            >ph 02 9665 6579
            >mobile 0419 484200
            >fax 02 9665 6644
            >po box 161 Bondi NSW 2026
            >

            >--
            >Narrell
            >*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
            >Ms Narrell Brown
            >Jaybee's Entertainment
            >http://www.jaybees.com.au
            >Check out our site we hope you like it!
            >Vote for us via the Hit Squad MP3 button.
            >Proudly running on a Mac - rejecting .exe files

          • Duncan Kimball
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 27, 2000

              Duhhhh .........I think you're right. Poor Paul - he didnt deserve that. Mea culpa!