RE: [rocknroll-scars] Soundtrack recordings.

  • Andrew Ainsworth
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 14, 2012
      Mark,

      I am sure that the bloke has got his years mixed up, and that it was probably recorded in the early '60s when they were still at Starlight before forming Soundtrack - there was a mention of Bill Gates being there too.

      To: rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com
      From: mark_crohan@...
      Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 19:51:06 -0700
      Subject: Re: [rocknroll-scars] Soundtrack recordings.

      Interesting, my understanding is they made their

      first recordings at the 4BH auditorium at 45 Adelaide Street in Brisbane in

      late 1959 under the supervision of Bill gates

      In even have the songs listed somewhere

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 14, 2012
        Hi,
        According to my copy of the authorised biography of The Bee Gees by The Bee Gees and as told by David Leaf, in 1959 Bill Gates had a half hour lunch time radio show on 4BH in Brisbane called Midday Platter Chatter and Bill got the boys into the radio studio on a Sunday and recorded them. And every day Bill would play one of the songs from the tape.

        Cheers

        John Neill
      • Mark Crohan
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 14, 2012
          Andrew
          I've spoken both to both bill gates and Keith Fowle who  was the sound
          engineer for the  1st session booked by Bill Gates. The recordings were transferred onto an acetate disc, and since there was only
          a limited number of tapes at 4BH, once used, the tapes were re-used again and
          again. Fowle remembers about four of Barry's original songs were recorded
          initially. In all likelihood the four songs were  ‘The Echo Of Your Love’,  ‘Twenty Miles To Blueland’ and  ‘Let Me Love You’. “

          they came back in  again on a Sunday in late January the next year (1960) at the 4BH
          auditorium at 45 Adelaide Street in Brisbane.  The
          sound engineer this time was Don McKean
          where was the Soundtrack studio?

          mark

          ________________________________

          To: mailto:rocknroll-scars%40yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 14, 2012
            John, a much more comprehensive bio on the Bee gees including a lot more detail on their Australian years came out 2000. The sixth edition of the book is about to be released. but beware its very detailed and due to their longevity  its bloody big. its also very good

            http://www.amazon.com/The-Bee-Gees-Tales-Brothers/dp/1844490572

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 14, 2012
              Hi Mark,

              I knew it sounded fishy, the story I was told. I have asked him, if he didn't get the years and the recording studio mixed up. Quoting the comment made; " The �Bee gees �also made an appearance at the Cannon Hill studios to do a demo take, At that time they were just teenagers living in the Brisbane area.. Their mentor was Bill Gates from Radio 4BH. who did much to promote them locally.."

              Thanks
              Andrew
            • Mark Crohan
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 14, 2012
                Bill Gates co managed them with a racing Car driver by the name Bill Goodes until about 1961/62 (both still alive by the way )
                Thats how they got the name the Bee Gees- all these BG 's initials about . ie  barry gibb and their mother Barbra Gibb plus  brothers gibb

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 15, 2012
                  Hi Mark,

                  Yep I'm aware of the connections.

                  Here is a follow-up statement from my source; "...In 1964 I am certain they were playing in the O'Connor Boat House"
                  at North Quay and they booked in to do an audition demo for an overseas
                  promoter.. Strangely I always kept a copy of that tape in my bottom bedside
                  drawer, however my ex-wife had a huge clean up one day & said "Whats this
                  piece of crap and tossed it in the bin..."

                  Thanks
                  Andrew