Re: BTW Grady

  • ozbo2
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2001
      --- In rocknroll-scars@y..., Keith Glass <kglass@b...> wrote:
      > Contrary to popular (well, popular 'round my way anyhow) theory
      > apparently Grady Martin DID NOT play the gut string on 'El Paso' it
      was
      > Joe South!

      Oh shit !!! Jeez that's gonna' stir up shit just like who played the
      lead guitar on the Rock and Roll Trio stuff,was it Paul Burlison or
      Grady Martin ?? Burlison gets understandbly testy when that gets
      dragged up.It used to be the case where you had band members
      contributions to their own songs were in doubt now it's happening to
      session musicians.This is the first I've ever heard about EL PASO.The
      thing I'm trying to get my mind around is that

      1) Wasn't South still working for Bill Lowery in Atlanta back then,he
      was only 19 when this track was cut,I thought he didn't work in
      Nashville 'til about 1963.

      2)I find it unusual that they would let a guy like South in to work
      as you had pickers the likes of GM,Hank Garland,Harold Bradley etc..
      on the studio scene at the time and it was a very clique-y scene from
      what I've read.I know he did play on Marty Robbins' sessions but not
      that far back.

      Joe South I am a major fan of,I always felt his guitar playing has
      never really got the respect it deserved(so tasteful),I feel with all
      this reissue thing that's gone on in the last few years his stuff has
      been unfairly neglected in regards to his old albums.What a career
      that guy had even before he became famous

      1)Producer (Billy Joe Royal,The Tams)

      2)Songwriter(Down In The Boondocks,I Knew You When,Hush,I Never
      Promised You A Rose Garden)

      3)Session Muso(lead guitar on Simon And Garfunkel's "I Am A Rock",Bob
      Dylan's Blonde On Blonde(guitar on "Stuck Inside Of Mobile",bass
      on "Visions Of Johanna",that Pops Staples style guitar intro on
      Aretha Franklin's "Chain Of Fools")
    • Duncan Kimball
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2001
        Yes another sad loss re: Grady - a fine player. Was he by any chance one of
        the players on Ringo's "Sentimental Journey" LP? I remember hearing a few
        tracks from that a while ago and there was one track with some absolutely
        killer acoustic gtr pickin' on it, and it comes to mind that maybe that was
        Grady? Not sure.

        Dunno what the Buddy situation is -- I've contacted him off-list so
        hopefully we'll get that sorted ASAP. BTW there is a webpage for Buddy (and
        various other well-know faces like Marcie Jones at:

        http://www.tarahall.com/thebud.html

        Oh and I mentioned to Steve H yesterday, if you haven't heard it, I can
        REALLY recommened the excellent Roky tribute album "Where the Pyramid Meets
        the Eye" - came out ca. 1991. Primal Scream, ZZ Top, REM, Julian Cope, Jesus
        & Mary Chain, Doug Sahm (SCORCHING version of "You're Gonna Miss Me", done
        with his two sons), Bongwater, Butthole Surfers, T-Bone Burnett etc. Nifty,
        tough and bitchen.

        http://www.sa-wa-ro.com/Compilation-Pages/compilation-wtpmte.htm

        BTW I just read that former 2SM Good Guy and 2DAY-FM (Sydney) stalwart Ron
        E. Sparx has been dumped from 2DAY after an amazing 25 years with the
        station, after supposedly "defacing" studio equipment with a permanent
        marker because he had the shits with ppl smoking in the studio before his
        shift.

        http://www.smh.com.au/news/0112/06/national/national12.html

        Oh and this week's repeat of "Sea Change" is the Masters Apprentices
        episode.

        Dunks

        Dunks

        =================

        >From: Keith Glass <kglass@...>
        >To: "rocknroll-scars@egroups.com" <rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [rocknroll-scars] BTW Grady
        >Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 23:05:06 +1000
        >
        >Contrary to popular (well, popular 'round my way anyhow) theory
        >apparently Grady Martin DID NOT play the gut string on 'El Paso' it was
        >Joe South! I'm also recently floored to hear he DID NOT play the fuzz
        >guitar part (one of the earliest) on Marty's 'Don't Worry 'Bout Me' -
        >rather a bloke I just met (and backed up by a few others) says he did
        >(unfortunately I've forgotten his name) Now you are all staggered I
        >should add Grady did play a lot of tasty stuff may he RIP.
        >Now what is this Buddy/Love Affair deal - can someone fill me in?
        >Look forward to reading the Roky E piece, what a wildman.
        >Keith

      • ozbo2
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2001
          --- In rocknroll-scars@y..., "Duncan Kimball" <dunks58@h...> wrote:
          > Yes another sad loss re: Grady - a fine player. Was he by any
          chance one of
          > the players on Ringo's "Sentimental Journey" LP? I remember hearing
          a few
          > tracks from that a while ago and there was one track with some
          absolutely
          > killer acoustic gtr pickin' on it, and it comes to mind that maybe
          that was
          > Grady? Not sure.

          Nah! It wouldn't be him on that,nice choice of songs,didn't think you
          cared for "mums and dads" stuff.Ringo did his follow up album
          called "Beaucoup Of Blues" in Nashville but as far as I know Grady
          didn't play on that either but Jerry Reed (who is known for "killer
          acoustic guitar pickin'")did but he wouldn't have been
          on "Sentimental Journey" as far as I can tell.
        • Duncan Kimball
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2001
            Ooops my mistake - I meant 'Beaucoup of Blues' of course. Duhhhh.

            Yes it would have been Jerry Reed I think. I can't remember which song I
            heard, but it was fantastic playing.

            Dunks

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2001
              --- In rocknroll-scars@y..., "Duncan Kimball" <dunks58@h...> wrote:
              > Ooops my mistake - I meant 'Beaucoup of Blues' of course. Duhhhh.
              >
              > Yes it would have been Jerry Reed I think. I can't remember which
              song I
              > heard, but it was fantastic playing.
              >
              > Dunks

              Yeah I'm a big fan of Jerry Reed's guitar playing,other examples if
              you've heard 'em are Elvis' "Guitar Man","U.S.Male","Too Much Monkey
              Business"(the first 2 written by Reed)he is just great with he gets
              that gut string guitar working "claw" style.