RE: [rocknroll-scars] Re: Vinyl Revival

  • Martin Erdman
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
      :Yes David, I mentioned in a previous post about what has been
      named CD rot.

      As far as I am aware a commercial CD is made with a layer of
      aluminium into which the digital information is pressed. It then has
      a layer of plastic over it. Problem is that due to any manufacturing
      defects microscopic 'pin holes' may exist in the plastic coating
      allowing oxygen to penetrate and corrode the aluminium layer.

      And when this happens the CD will skip or may not play at all!
      Also as most people may not realise the printed label surface is
      closer to the aluminium and is more prone to be scratched.

      Vinyl on the other hand, if well looked after will most definitely
      last much longer. I'm not sure if vinyl will actually decompose
      over time but there is no evidence of it happening yet.

      Can anyone add to that theory?

      Cheers,
      Martin Erdman.

      >There is only one flaw with the CD as a format. It is NOT built to
      last.
    • Ray Hogan
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
        Martin,
        Of course you're biased. What does Rolf's remix and remaster sound
        like on vinyl compared to the new cd? That would be a fairer A/B test
        than the one you suggest. I'll admit that technology and cd production
        techniques can now result in some superb sounds and because I don't
        collect a lot of vinyl these days it's difficult for me to compare
        quality LP releases with their cd equivalents, but to me Little Feat's
        live "Waiting For Columbus" on vinyl has more warmth and presence than
        the cd release. I can tell you also that Spectrum's "Milesago" on my
        original vinyl sounds significantly better than the recent cd release,
        which was in fact remastered from the vinyl edition.In any case, there
        are quite a few releases on high quality vinyl (using new technology)
        that a lot of people prefer and usually the people in the market for
        such not inexpensive releases are "audiophiles" to whom sound quality
        is very important. As for my growing cd collection, they sounded a
        whole lot better and more like vinyl when I acquired my Redgum cd
        player so perhaps their is unrealised potential in the cd format.
      • Tony Jaggers
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
          So whats the answer?.....I hope its not going to be convert to MP3s .....we
          are supposed to be advancing technologically not going backwards......is
          their a new medium (noy Blu Ray I hope) in the pipeline
          As a certain Grumpy soundman once told me ...."the age of the audiophile is
          over"

          TJ
          > :Yes David, I mentioned in a previous post about what has been
          > named CD rot.
          >
          > As far as I am aware a commercial CD is made with a layer of
          > aluminium into which the digital information is pressed. It then has
          > a layer of plastic over it. Problem is that due to any manufacturing
          > defects microscopic 'pin holes' may exist in the plastic coating
          > allowing oxygen to penetrate and corrode the aluminium layer.
          >
          > And when this happens the CD will skip or may not play at all!
          > Also as most people may not realise the printed label surface is
          > closer to the aluminium and is more prone to be scratched.
          >
          > Vinyl on the other hand, if well looked after will most definitely
          > last much longer. I'm not sure if vinyl will actually decompose
          > over time but there is no evidence of it happening yet.
          >
          > Can anyone add to that theory?
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Martin Erdman.
          >

          > MILESAGO: Australasian music and popular culture 1964-1975
          >
          > http://www.milesago.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Frank Calabrese
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
            And FM Radio is the worst offender when it comes to playing music -
            everything is on Hard drives as glorified MP3 players, they don't even play
            CD's on air, unless it's a track not on the system, a good example is our
            own Steve Gordon who is forced to play everything on his show from his own
            personal CD collection, and he works for a commercial station. Plus with the
            amount audio processing involved, the music sounds shit.

            Frank

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
              Thanks Martin

              What do you think of the future being in non-mechanical media like the USB stick as a commercial stick of music info?

              Of course the mp3 can sound horrible especially at sample rates at 128 and below.

              All digital media suffer from psycho acoustic fill due to the missing bits and that the software must guess as to the actual analogue signal based on averaging. So again digital might not be so bad with higher sample rates and lossless codecs that don't take up much space.

              Theoretically the error must be reduced significantly with respect to the analogue so that distortion is reduced below 1 part per 10,000,000,000. So multigigabyte USB or something like this sticks would be the future of paid for music. No clunky CD or DVD. No moving parts.

              Cheers
              David

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                The future is not BlueRay either!!! in my opinion.

                BlueRay is just another way of exploiting gullible publics. It will find more use in video games in the future. Buy the same music you already had a more expensive price. Anyway BlueRay is for Video. Something cheaper and better will come along soon anyway. Memory RAM, ROM is cheap these days, and getting cheaper/gigaByte every year.

                Cheers
                David

                > :Yes David, I mentioned in a previous post about what has been
                > named CD rot.
                >
                > As far as I am aware a commercial CD is made with a layer of
                > aluminium into which the digital information is pressed. It then has
                > a layer of plastic over it. Problem is that due to any manufacturing
                > defects microscopic 'pin holes' may exist in the plastic coating
                > allowing oxygen to penetrate and corrode the aluminium layer.
                >
                > And when this happens the CD will skip or may not play at all!
                > Also as most people may not realise the printed label surface is
                > closer to the aluminium and is more prone to be scratched.
                >
                > Vinyl on the other hand, if well looked after will most definitely
                > last much longer. I'm not sure if vinyl will actually decompose
                > over time but there is no evidence of it happening yet.
                >
                > Can anyone add to that theory?
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Martin Erdman.
                >

                > MILESAGO: Australasian music and popular culture 1964-1975
                >
                > http://www.milesago.com
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Boofenhead
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                  The sound quality debate could rage for years. Personally I'm happy enough to have ripped all my vinyl into my PC and play it at the click of a button - After all it's the songs that make it great, not some small difference in tonal quality.
                  But (and there was always going to be a but), the one thing CDs really killed was great album art. I mean how much can you really do on a cover that size?

                  Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/?p1=other&p2=au&p3=tagline