Pakktel label

  • Duncan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 6:35 PM
      Just finished bashing together a page about this super-obscure Aussie label of the mid-60s, which is now up on the site (http://www.milesago.com/Industry/pakktel.htm). This began late last week I spotted a label scan I'd saved from the web some time ago; the research took me in some fascinating directions. Isn't the internet amazing?

      Pakktel dates to 1965 and was set up to promote an obscure Nine Network TV series called 'Boomeride'. The program, reportedly made for Nine at the Channel 0 studios in Melbourne, was a musical variety show that showcased young Australian talent. Its main claim to fame these days is that one of the young performers featured was the then teenaged Olivia Newtown-John. Fragments of the program have survived and a short clip of Olivia performing Marawood's "Papa, Oh Papa" (excerpted for a Nine TV special) can be found on YouTube.

      Pakktel released a soundtrack album and two singles featuring music from the series. The tracks were variously performed by singer Tony Cole, Gabrielle Hartley (a Melbourne model who branched to became a folk singer and actor), Doug Kennedy, Lane & Logan and Annette Klooger. Instrumental backing was by the Graeme Hall Quartet (Graeme Hall, piano; Barry Buckley, bass; Dale Kohry, guitar; John Frank, drums) with vocal backing on the Tony Cole track by The Crestaires.

      Tony Cole was a former schoolteacher who was discovered on 'Bandstand' in 1964. He continued his music career for some time, recording one single on the Leedon label in 1967. After moving to the UK in the early 1970s he recorded two LPs on the Interfusion label (produced by the great David Mackay) and his 1973 single "The Hook" was a minor Australian hit.

      Doug Kennedy was originally from Perth. He was an all-round vocalist-entertainer who served his musical apprenticeship on the Perth folk scene, and his repertoire (like that of Lionel Long) ranged over folksong, C&W, and theatrical songs. He tried his luck in the eastern states in the mid-Sixties and after a successful series of appearances at the Off-Stage in South Yarra and on Boomeride, he was urged to move to London, where he appeared on BBC-TV and at the London Palladium, and recorded a single for EMI's Columbia label. ("Julie", Columbia UK 7707-9619)

      Gabrielle Hartley was originally a fashion model; she briefly became a folksinger in the mid-Sixties (appearing on Boomeride and Bandstand) before moving into acting. Her first major dramatic credit is also probably her best remembered role -- she played Maggie Emerson, wife of local landowner Col. Jim Emerson (Carl Bleazby) in ABC-TV's 'Bellbird', and she reprised it in the movie version of the series, Country Town (1971). Her other TV credits include Hunter (1968), Delta (1969), Ryan (1973), Division 4, Matlock Police, Bobby Dazzler and several appearances in Prisoner; she also appeared in the movie Dawn! (1979).

      Almost all the songs performed in Boomeride were original tunes by Australian composer Charles Marawood, who was evidently a prolific songwriter. His other major Aussie pop-rock credit was the A-side of the 1968 Columbia single "Mon Pere" by Bev Harrell, and two of his other songs -- "Boomerang Baby" (originally recorded by Tony Cole) and "White Grass" (originally recorded by Doug Kennedy) -- were performed by Marlene Dietrich, and can be heard on the DVD of her 1973 British TV special 'I Wish You Love'.

      "White Grass" is a powerful anti-war ballad, depicting a soldier who returns from the war to find his wife dead and his house empty ("The war is over. Seems we won. Hooray"). Dietrich often sang it in concert during the last years of her performing career, although curiously she never recorded it. New Zealand singer Jennifer Ward-Lealand revived the song for her 2007 Deitrich tribute show Falling in Love Again, and is reportedly the first singer to record a version. As noted in a review of her show, it's a mark of Ward-Lealand's commitment that she tracked down Marawood's widow for the rights in order to include it on the CD of the show.

      Marawood's other credits include two songs featured in an episode of Skippy, The Bush Kangaroo -- in Ep. 23, "They're Singing Me Back", the character Moona, a runaway Aboriginal girl (played by Candy Devine) sings two of Marawood's songs, "Walk You High" and "I Must Go".

      Marawood also composed the soundtrack for the children's TV series The Elephant Boy (1973) and the movies Weekend of Shadows (1973) and The Irishman (1978). In 1979 his poignant song "Magdelena" -- originally the A-side of Gabrielle Hartley's Pakktel single -- was performed by the character Nora (played by Sonja Tallis) during a prison talent quest sequence in Episode 582 of Grundy's Prisoner, which aired in in 1979.

      My friend Matt Carroll, who worked with Marawood on 'Weekend of Shadows', told me the other night:

      "He was a real eccentric. He lived close to me in Paddington at the time ... he wore way-out clothes, capes and things like that, and his house was crammed full of amazing stuff. The movie wasn't that good, but his music was great. He was very talented, but I don't think he ever got the recognition he deserved."

      Dunks

    • Dave Allen
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 1:04 AM
        Good on you Dunks, what a fascinating story, and great research.
        It's funny, I remember seeing Marawood around Paddo, but had no idea
        who he was.
        Dave

        --- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, "Duncan" <dunks58@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Marawood also composed the soundtrack for the children's TV series
        The Elephant Boy (1973) and the movies Weekend of Shadows (1973) and
        The Irishman (1978). In 1979 his poignant song "Magdelena" --
        originally the A-side of Gabrielle Hartley's Pakktel single -- was
        performed by the character Nora (played by Sonja Tallis) during a
        prison talent quest sequence in Episode 582 of Grundy's Prisoner,
        which aired in in 1979.

        > My friend Matt Carroll, who worked with Marawood on 'Weekend of
        Shadows', told me the other night:

        > "He was a real eccentric. He lived close to me in Paddington at
        the time ... he wore way-out clothes, capes and things like that, and
        his house was crammed full of amazing stuff. The movie wasn't that
        good, but his music was great. He was very talented, but I don't think
        he ever got the recognition he deserved."

      • GAMBRILL JOHN
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 5:43 AM
          Annette Klooger (mentioned below) had at least one 45 single on Rex c. 1960. A Google 'search' shows she was in a number of TV variety shows in the mid-60s.

          JohnG

          To: rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.comFrom: bluedja@...: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 08:04:24 +0000Subject: [rocknroll-scars] Re: Pakktel label

          Good on you Dunks, what a fascinating story, and great research.It's funny, I remember seeing Marawood around Paddo, but had no ideawho he was.Dave--- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, "Duncan" <dunks58@...> wrote:>> > > Just finished bashing together a page about this super-obscureAussie label of the mid-60s, which is now up on the site(http://www.milesago.com/Industry/pakktel.htm). This began late lastweek I spotted a label scan I'd saved from the web some time ago; theresearch took me in some fascinating directions. Isn't the internetamazing? > > Pakktel dates to 1965 and was set up to promote an obscure NineNetwork TV series called 'Boomeride'. The program, reportedly made forNine at the Channel 0 studios in Melbourne, was a musical variety showthat showcased young Australian talent. Its main claim to fame thesedays is that one of the young performers featured was the thenteenaged Olivia Newtown-John. Fragments of the program have survivedand a short clip of Olivia performing Marawood's "Papa, Oh Papa"(excerpted for a Nine TV special) can be found on YouTube. > > Pakktel released a soundtrack album and two singles featuringmusic from the series. The tracks were variously performed by singerTony Cole, Gabrielle Hartley (a Melbourne model who branched to becamea folk singer and actor), Doug Kennedy, Lane & Logan and AnnetteKlooger. Instrumental backing was by the Graeme Hall Quartet (GraemeHall, piano; Barry Buckley, bass; Dale Kohry, guitar; John Frank,drums) with vocal backing on the Tony Cole track by The Crestaires. > > Tony Cole was a former schoolteacher who was discovered on'Bandstand' in 1964. He continued his music career for some time,recording one single on the Leedon label in 1967. After moving to theUK in the early 1970s he recorded two LPs on the Interfusion label(produced by the great David Mackay) and his 1973 single "The Hook"was a minor Australian hit. > > Doug Kennedy was originally from Perth. He was an all-roundvocalist-entertainer who served his musical apprenticeship on thePerth folk scene, and his repertoire (like that of Lionel Long) rangedover folksong, C&W, and theatrical songs. He tried his luck in theeastern states in the mid-Sixties and after a successful series ofappearances at the Off-Stage in South Yarra and on Boomeride, he wasurged to move to London, where he appeared on BBC-TV and at the LondonPalladium, and recorded a single for EMI's Columbia label. ("Julie",Columbia UK 7707-9619) > > Gabrielle Hartley was originally a fashion model; she brieflybecame a folksinger in the mid-Sixties (appearing on Boomeride andBandstand) before moving into acting. Her first major dramatic creditis also probably her best remembered role -- she played MaggieEmerson, wife of local landowner Col. Jim Emerson (Carl Bleazby) inABC-TV's 'Bellbird', and she reprised it in the movie version of theseries, Country Town (1971). Her other TV credits include Hunter(1968), Delta (1969), Ryan (1973), Division 4, Matlock Police, BobbyDazzler and several appearances in Prisoner; she also appeared in themovie Dawn! (1979). > >