The Celibate Rifles

  • John Attenborough
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
      Sligntly off topic but dealijg with an Aussie band,

      I went to an open-air gig at Taronga Zoo last night - tribute to Fleetwood Mac and, in the second half, a few guys came on and played some astounding blues that I've never known Fleetwood for.

      The singer in the bluesiest song was Damian Lovelock. I recognised the voice immediately as a guy on an SBS show "The World Game" but didn't know he was a singer. (Yeah I love the game. Been involved since 1962.)

      I was surprised when I looked him up on the net this morning. He's been performing in The Celibate Rifles since 1980 and I've never noticed them.

      Is this a good band?

      Cheers

      John A

    • Tony Jaggers
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
        JA,
        Celibate Rifles were a great band......the name was a piss-take on the Sex
        Pistols......but these guys played hard and fast.....very popular with the
        surf crowd......
        have a CD somewhere that I will get to you

        TJ
        www.tonyjaggers.com
        www.myspace.com/tonyjaggers
        > Sligntly off topic but dealijg with an Aussie band,
        >
        > I went to an open-air gig at Taronga Zoo last night - tribute to Fleetwood
        > Mac and, in the second half, a few guys came on and played some astounding
        > blues that I've never known Fleetwood for.
        >
        > The singer in the bluesiest song was Damian Lovelock. I recognised the
        > voice immediately as a guy on an SBS show "The World Game" but didn't know
        > he was a singer. (Yeah I love the game. Been involved since 1962.)
        >
        > I was surprised when I looked him up on the net this morning. He's been
        > performing in The Celibate Rifles since 1980 and I've never noticed them.
        >
        > Is this a good band?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > John A

        > MILESAGO: Australasian music and popular culture 1964-1975
        >
        > http://www.milesago.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --
        > 29/02/2008 6:32 PM

      • James McVey
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
          John,

          The Celibate Rifles were one of THE Sydney underground bands in the 80's to
          mid 90's. Popular with the University & alternative rock crowd, they toured
          extensively and had a wide following, including of all places, Japan.

          A more complete bio is found on their (old) website at
          http://www.celibaterifles.com/indexb.html

          Were they any good? Yeah, very good. Whenever mentioned, comparisons are
          made to other underground/alternative rock acts like Radio Birdman, The
          Scientists, The Hitmen & Lime Spiders.

          Cheers
          Jim
        • Dave Allen
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
            Interesting what you say about Damian Lovelock of SBS The World Game
            having been a singer. Believe it or not, so was Les Murray! Our old
            Flake bassist, Denis Moore was in a band with him after Flake.
            Dave Allen

            --- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, "John Attenborough"
            <jamata@...> wrote:

            > Sligntly off topic but dealijg with an Aussie band,
            >
            > I went to an open-air gig at Taronga Zoo last night - tribute to
            Fleetwood Mac and, in the second half, a few guys came on and played
            some astounding blues that I've never known Fleetwood for.

            > The singer in the bluesiest song was Damian Lovelock. I recognised
            the voice immediately as a guy on an SBS show "The World Game" but
            didn't know he was a singer. (Yeah I love the game. Been involved
            since 1962.)

            > I was surprised when I looked him up on the net this morning. He's
            been performing in The Celibate Rifles since 1980 and I've never
            noticed them.

            > Is this a good band?
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > John A

          • Dave Allen
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
              I thought it was because they never went off, or their drummer didn't
              bang.

              --- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Jaggers" <tj@...> wrote:

              > JA,
              > Celibate Rifles were a great band......the name was a piss-take on
              the Sex
              > Pistols......but these guys played hard and fast.....very popular
              with the
              > surf crowd......
              > have a CD somewhere that I will get to you
              >
              > TJ
              > www.tonyjaggers.com
              > www.myspace.com/tonyjaggers

            • John Attenborough
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
                I would never have guessed that. What was the band's name?

                John A

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
                  Sorry John, can't remember, will ask Denis. I wonder if a photo
                  exists? I'll ask.