Re: [rocknroll-scars] Mandu, Mandu, Wherefore Art Thou Mandu

  • Tony Jaggers
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
      Peter....track 11 may be of interest...........screensound may also have
      current info

      fantastic new CD of Australian rock 'n ' roll rarities is to be released by
      ScreenSound Australia, the National Screen and Sound Archive.
      All Fired Up: The Lost Treasures of Australian Music is a rare gem featuring
      many of the hits, near misses and downright obscurities of Australian music.
      The compilation is a roll call of legendary Australian performers, such as
      Mondo Rock, Icehouse, Redgum, Richard Clapton, John Paul Young, Ted Mulry
      and Goanna.

      For every hit song, there are thousands of others that are released but only
      reach limited success. Australia's small market makes the prospects of chart
      success even tougher. The period 1970-1990 spelt the final days of vinyl,
      before it gave way to the Compact Disc. This era produced many A-Sides and
      B-Sides that despite their intrinsic merits disappeared with little notice.

      All Fired Up represents a fascinating showcase of Aussie tunes and talent
      containing many songs never before released on CD. These include the
      original recording of the Pat Benatar hit All Fired Up (which was originally
      written and performed by the band 'Rattling Sabres'), the Franklin Dam
      protest song Let the Franklin Flow performed by members of bands Goanna and
      Redgum and novelty song How About a Beer for the Horse performed by John
      Paul Young and the All Stars under the joke name 'Sandshoe Willie and The
      Worn Out Soul Band'.

      The tracks were selected by Canberra music historian and radio presenter
      Paul Conn. Paul has collected rock and roll records since getting his first
      LP in 1966 and he has built up a strong interest in Australian rock of the
      1970s-90s. In 1996 he wrote 2000 Weeks: The First Thirty Years Of Australian
      Music And Then Some, which included an annotated discography of over 500
      Australian albums.

      This CD provides an opportunity for audiences to discover or rediscover some
      of the lost treasures of Australian music, each with its own story. Return
      to the not so distant past, to fantastic songs that otherwise would remain
      lost.

      All Fired Up: The Lost Treasures of Australian Music will be on sale from 2
      December. Retail price is $19.95 and it can be ordered by calling 1800 677
      609. A track listing is attached.

      Interviews are available with Paul Conn regarding the recording process and
      the songs.

      To obtain an interview or for further media information and images, please
      contact:

      1. All Fired Up - Rattling Sabres
      This song is better known as a hit for US singer Pat Benatar, but the
      original version was written and produced by Kerryn Tolhurst. All Fired Up
      was the A-side of Rattling Sabres' only single.

      2. Power - Sharon O'Neill
      Sharon O'Neill was a successful export from New Zealand to Australia, where
      her strong songwriting skills and vocals lifted her above many other female
      artists of the 1970s. Power was her final single for CBS and has never
      released on LP or re-released in any form until now. The single was
      co-produced by well-known guitarist Tommy Emmanuel.

      3. B B Boogie - Friends
      In 1971 a new Melbourne-based outfit formed its first line-up under the
      appropriate name, Friends. In 1972, the only single Friends put together
      came out. B B Boogie was the A-side but attracted no radio interest.

      4. Goodbye Barbara Ann - Richard Clapton
      Recorded during the April-May 1984 sessions for the LP Solidarity, Goodbye
      Barbara Ann was released as a single on the strength of first reactions to
      the song.

      5. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - The Chinless Elite
      The Chinless Elite was a short-lived band formed by Jeremy Oxley following
      the dissolution of his power pop band, the Sunnyboys. This unusual version
      was the B-side of their only single, released in November 1985.

      6. How About A Beer For The Horse - Sandshoe Willie And The Worn Out Soul
      Band
      In 1979, John Paul Young and The All Stars were at the end of a series of
      successful tracks and released this novelty single under a disguised name.
      The song stands out as a rare moment of outright silliness well worth
      remembering as a novelty song.

      7. Rebecca - Mario Millo
      Rebecca was an instrumental by guitarist Mario Millo, released as the single
      from The Australian Guitar Album in 1979.

      8. Let The Franklin Flow - Gordon Franklin and The Wilderness Ensemble
      Recorded live at the People For Nuclear Disarmament Concert at the Sydney
      Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne Victoria on 13 February 1983, this impromptu
      protest song against the damming of the Franklin River in Tasmania reached
      number 15 on the charts in May that year.

      9. Il Mondo Cafe - Mondo Rock
      Il Mondo Café was the B-side of the first single lifted from Mondo Rock's
      successful Nuovo Mondo LP. Released in July 1982 to coincide with that LP,
      No Time (backed with this song) went to number 11 on the charts and
      reinforced the slicker style that Ross Wilson had brought to the second
      major band of his career.

      10. Roll It On Robbie - Redgum
      Recorded in 1987, this non-LP single was an humorous promotion of the use of
      condoms. Roll It On Robbie was Redgum's final single release and it entered
      the Top 40 Charts, but the now rare single was regarded more as a novelty
      song than a serious piece of social advice.

      11. To The Shores Of His Heaven - Mandu
      This single was also the title of Melbourne-based singer Mandu's only LP
      release. The Mandu LP is now hard to find, with this single being even more
      of a lost treasure till now

      12. Arcade - Doug Parkinson
      Doug Parkinson became famous for his rough vocals, strong stage presence and
      versatility. In late 1979, he took some time off from working with the
      Southern Star Band, to record this one-off single for the then new TV soap
      opera Arcade.

      13. Two Of A Kind - Split Enz
      Two Of A Kind was one of two songs on the B-side of a single released by
      Split Enz in 1983. The single made no impact on Top 40 charts at the time
      and was perhaps the first sign that the Split Enz magic was fading. Two Of A
      Kind was never released on a Split Enz album during the life of the band.

      14. So Much In Love - Ted Mulry
      British born Ted Mulry had arrived in Australia in 1966 and four years later
      put out his first, self-written solo single. Julia peaked at number 5 on the
      Sydney charts in early 1970. The B-Side was another song in the same vein
      also penned by Ted Mulry, So Much In Love.

      15. Sorry - Flowers/Icehouse
      Recorded live in Sydney in 1980, this version of the Easybeats' hit song was
      only released as a bonus single in 1990 as part of a tenth anniversary pack
      for Icehouse. The single was attributed to Flowers, the original name of the
      band. Sorry is an energetic reminder of the early punk rock cover versions
      that started it off.

      For further information, contact:

      david hogan
      Telephone: (02) 6248 2002
      Email: david_hogan@...

      www.tonyjaggers.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
        Actually this is a great album, but has in fact been available for a couple of years & is still.
        I heard recently of another ScreenSound release along similar lines I think.
        They ain't ALL Classic Here viz a ziz JPY's How About A Beer For The Horse & Doug's dreadful theme from the aborted TV show Arcade. But that are every rare & it does have classic Richard Clapton, Sharon O'Neill, Friends, Ted & the aforementioned Mandu among other delights

        Cheers

        Mick

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
          Micko.....just clarifying that post.......after "may also have current
          info".....its all lifter from a screensound PR
          Good album as a historical piece but holds little interest for me as a
          listener.....anything of interest I already have......starting to wonder if
          we are startting to get to the pont where the well is running dry

          Might bring this up on Obs at a later time

          Have you beaten the Lurgi......you do realise all it takes is to play a
          brass instrument Eccles me ole

          Cheers
          Bluebottle----- Original Message -----
          > Actually this is a great album, but has in fact been available for a
          > couple of years & is still.
          > I heard recently of another ScreenSound release along similar lines I
          > think.
          > They ain't ALL Classic Here viz a ziz JPY's How About A Beer For The Horse
          > & Doug's dreadful theme from the aborted TV show Arcade. But that are
          > every rare & it does have classic Richard Clapton, Sharon O'Neill,
          > Friends, Ted & the aforementioned Mandu among other delights
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Mick

        • John Petkovshek
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
            The other ScreenSound release is 'Running in the
            Shadows - Oz Rock Rarities '83-'94'. Worth getting
            just for Jim Keays' '87 version of 'Undecided'.

            Check out:-
            http://www.screensound.gov.au/media_releases.nsf/61ff148383600eecca256e59000b9a74/d733bed5a83510a4ca256f66001a5838?OpenDocument

            John P