Re: [rocknroll-scars] I read the news today....oh

  • Paul Close
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
      At 04:31 PM 4/2/2006, you wrote:
      I'm rather pissed off with 9 for not (as usual) running credits for the
      performers or their crew. Everything was 9, 9, 9, 9,...........
      Now what makes you think athletes can dance, or have a sense of rhythm? :-)

      Paul C

      >Seems John farnham is totally pissed with Channel Nine for cutting to a
      >commercial break during his performance at the Com Games closing
      >ceremony....their defense was that he was doing a cover
      >version....halloo.....does anyone at nine realise he has just released an
      >album of covers of Ozs great songs....I believe the song we didnt see was
      >Matt Taylors "I remeber when I was Young".......I'd imagine
      >Matt lost a couple of bucks over that not going to air.......very surpise
      >there was no comment on John getting a bit lost in the beginning of
      >the Voice......personally I love those warty bits just shows how human
      >they really are.
      >I thought the closing ceremony was pretty dull except for the colorful
      >display put on by the folks from New Delhi.........but the most
      >interesting thing that was although Farnham and band was singing up a
      >storm and lifting the whole shebang to a new level .....very few of the
      >athletes were even moving to the music let alone dancing.........I suppose
      >being a dry show no-one thought to tap a foot....
      >Sport is bigger than music.....sad fact No1.
      >
      >TJ
      >www.tonyjaggers.com
      >
      >[

      Paul Close
      Freelance Sound Engineer
      Perth
      West Australia
      paulcl@...
      Mob: (61) 0417 945 063

    • Tony Jaggers
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
        Yes...silly me.....sometimes I get confused and think everyone in the world likes good music!

        TJ
        www.tonyjaggers.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
          Believe me, John isn't the only one who is totally pissed at Channel 9 - so
          are his legion of fans! (Don't know about Matt? LOL)

          As far as "getting lost" at the beginning of Voice - this appeared to be a
          problem with John losing the sound. You may have noticed that the in ear
          monitors ended up hanging around his neck. Yes - it does show that they are
          human when this sort of thing happens and also proves he wasn't miming if
          anyone was in doubt.

          Sue

          www.johnfarnham.info

[...]

          MILESAGO: Australasian music and popular culture 1964-1975

          http://www.milesago.com

          Easybeats
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Easybeats&w1=Easybeats&w2=Daddy+cool&w3
          =Australian&c=3&s=47&.sig=k3SEBg0oEGC6-2cui2TGCA>

          Daddy
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Daddy+cool&w1=Easybeats&w2=Daddy+cool&w
          3=Australian&c=3&s=47&.sig=YZS0yALtI03XjHcxj91SoA> cool

          Australian
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Australian&w1=Easybeats&w2=Daddy+cool&w
          3=Australian&c=3&s=47&.sig=E9ltKRlXsTrACHiJKbDj5Q>

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "rocknroll-scars
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rocknroll-scars> " on the web.

          _____

        • Tony Jaggers
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
            John can do no wrong in my eyes Sue......god did you see the look of panic on Chom Lins face..................I use a sequence when I play and believe me there is nothing worse than getting out of sync with the the backing.....ya singing along to a verse and suddenly the band is into the chorus Yikes
            I think Matt woulda been pissed as wouldn't he have scored any royalties for the TV performance......and also getting a Chain song into something as staid as a Com Games closing ceremony is good stuff indeed for the good Blues!

            TJ
            www.tonyjaggers.com

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
              I have been following the opinions on Farnham/Comm Games/Taylor opinions
              and I think I have a possible solution to the athletes not moving/dancing.
              While Farnham's importance is fully recognised by mature Aussies what relevance
              it has to young Aussies athletes is surely in doubt, not to mention all the
              other Commonwealth attendees who would have had absolutely no idea of who
              he was, or sadly his music, no matter if it's considered by some ( me included)
              to be up there with Sgt. Peppers.

              This is the first time I have heard ' I Remember When I was Young " to
              be a Chain song, I was under the impression it was a Matt Tayler solo release,
              after Chain, the first time around anyway.

              that's it from me.
              Mark.

            • Glenn Robertson
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
                F.A.O Susan (www.johnfarnham.info)

                Yeah John Farnham did sing the song "Remember when I was young"...
                it was broadcast on Pommie TV in the UK (BBC)

                For some reason while nursing a hangover, I taped the closing ceremony
                if you want a copy on DVD of John Farnham's performance then simply
                reply... the only problem the English commentators are the most
                annoying commentators in the world.

                No catch, and I don't want anything for the DVD, cos "Dirty deeds are
                done dirt cheap" :-)
              • Tony Jaggers
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
                  So what you are saying is that no matter how good the music is blasting your eardrums........it is of of no interest if you dont know who the artist is. i.e. the artist is more important than the music....interesting concept

                  "IRemember" was originally a Matt Taylor release as a single but if you check the Album Chain The First 30 Years its included there as it is on most Chain live shows.......so I guess its been absorbed into the Chain cattle dog!

                  TJ
                  www.tonyjaggers.com

                • vintageroom@primusonline.com.au
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
                    No, I'm afraid you have misunderstood me....the most important thing is the
                    music, no question about that, my point was the music seemed to be lost on
                    the majority of the athletes, my thought was because they weren't familiar
                    with Farnham and his music.

                    I hope that it's a bit clearer now, as for the "artist is more important
                    than the music " concept, I was not saying that at all, I'd appreciate it
                    if you would not point any such "interesting" concepts" my way.

                  • Michael Hunter
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
                      Hello everybody -

                      The conversation has been good in recent times on Scars; plenty of it
                      and new people to share it with. Could everyone PLEASE remember to
                      SNIP their replies however, as we keep saying. Makes for a much more
                      cohesive reading experience.

                      Thanks,
                      MH
                    • paulcl@iinet.net.au
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 2, 2006
                        Quoting Tony Jaggers <ajaggs@...>:

                        A lot of them wouldn't know what it was if it got up and hit them on the head!

                        > Yes...silly me.....sometimes I get confused and think everyone in the world
                        > likes good music!
                        >
                        > TJ
                        > www.tonyjaggers.com
                        > >
                        > Now what makes you think athletes can dance, or have a sense of rhythm?
                        > :-)

                      • Susan Smith
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 3, 2006
                          Yep, saw the look of panic on Chong (and Lisa)!!

                          Sue

                          www.johnfarnham.info

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 3, 2006
                            At least it was live, unlike at the Olympics Closing Ceremony where the CD
                            skipped at the start of The Carnival is Over :) Dunno why they didn't se DAT
                            Tape instead of using a CD with all it's faults.

                            Frank

                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 3, 2006
                              Sue.......no matter what anyone says the musical prowess of that mob is world class....Brett is one of my favorite guitars and Lindsay and Lisa are just out there
                              Love em!
                              www.tonyjaggers.com

                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 3, 2006
                                At 04:59 AM 4/3/2006, you wrote:
                                Like, maybe, able to dance to it................ hmmmm "I won't dance,
                                don't ask me...." :-)

                                PC

                                >Yes...silly me.....sometimes I get confused and think everyone in the
                                >world likes good music!
                                >
                                >TJ
                                >www.tonyjaggers.com

                                Paul Close
                                Freelance Sound Engineer
                                Perth
                                West Australia
                                paulcl@...
                                Mob: (61) 0417 945 063

                              • Tony Jaggers
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 3, 2006
                                  I have danced too.........it was not an act of great beauty..........anyway who wants a sound engineer whose out on the dance floor grooving it up when ya fold backs feeding back or ya mic gone dead..........tapping of the left foot is adequate for sound and crew, as it is for musos watching the support act

                                  TJ
                                  www.tonyjaggers.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 4, 2006
                                    At 12:39 AM 4/4/2006, you wrote:
                                    I agree, not only that but I concur.
                                    I still hear stories of sound engineers here who spend more time chatting
                                    up girls at the bar than at the desk where they're supposed to be.
                                    In the 70's here on my arrival while touring it seemed that you only had to
                                    be a mate of the band to be the sound engineer, no qualifications (or
                                    common sense) required.
                                    It was then, and still is to a large degree, cover city here. If they don't
                                    play it, they don't get bookings. Venues don't want to know, other than the
                                    few who cater to 'original' (read wall of noise usually) bands like the
                                    Rosemount etc.

                                    I can't tap dance............ but I can flamenco :-)

                                    PaulC

                                    >I have danced too.........it was not an act of great
                                    >beauty..........anyway who wants a sound engineer whose out on the dance
                                    >floor grooving it up when ya fold backs feeding back or ya mic gone
                                    >dead..........tapping of the left foot is adequate for sound and crew, as
                                    >it is for musos watching the support act
                                    >
                                    >TJ

                                    Paul Close
                                    Freelance Sound Engineer
                                    Perth