Re: Battle of the Sounds/Dave Allen

  • b_marchini
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 3, 2006
      --- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Allen" <dal28882@...>
      wrote:

      Hi dave..please dont anybody scream..but once, a few years back I
      watched some horrible awards show and Cindi Lauper was guesting.
      Instead of doing her song like she should have she broke off and
      went down into the audience, pulled out a recorder and ..simply
      played the melody..and killed em. Waking round the tables and
      playing the recorder.
      S'pose she was somebody's sister, but I thought she was alright.
      bobbi

      > --- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, "Geof, Lets Create Digital"
      > <geof@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thats all well & good, as long as a 2nd childhood doesn't kick
      in & they
      > > start playing the recorder.. Which begs the question, can one
      > actully play
      > > the recorder?
      > > Did'nt you have a sister? They all played recorder to some
      degree!
      > Dave
      Allen

    • mikerobbins@aapt.net.au
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 3, 2006
        Promise I won't scream Bobbi :-) But were ya referring to Cyndi or the recorder
        solo though? Hope it wasn't Cyndi as I think she's a totally unique performer,
        and despite her best known song "Girls Wanna Have Fun" not really showing her
        capabilities & the excessive NY drawl she speaks in, she actually has a supeb
        singing voice.
        No better proof was offered than by hearing the massacre that Aussie country
        goil Kasey Chambers made of Cyndi's True Colours a cuppla years back. Truly
        excreble. Then fuurther proof came with last years album that brought Cyndi
        back into the limelight "At Last'. Not only did it have several excellent vocal
        performances but it also had superb original arrangements of some well worn
        standards. Things like Walk On By, If You Go Away, La Vie En Rose & Don't Let
        Me Be Misunderstood, You've Really Got A Hold On Me, etc. Yet she made them
        entirely fresh with her interpretations. How criminal that she & Madonna should
        gain popularity the same year & yet while the talentless Madonna's has been
        ever present all these years, the far more talented Cyndi has been hardly heard
        of for 15 years or more
        BTW Has anyone heard the album Cyndi recorded with the band Blue Angel back in
        the '70's, several years B4 'Girls'. Great girl-group style pop/rock & she
        shoulda been a star from back then.

        OK Back to Oz rock now

        Micko

      • b_marchini
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 3, 2006
          --- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, mikerobbins@... wrote:

          >The recorder mik..the recorder..as I said she slayed em.
          You didnt mention "Time After Time" . One of Miles Davis faves I've
          been told....and I dont think she's disappeared and often pops up in
          Europe..
          Oz Rock it is..:-)
          bobbi

        • john a bird
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3, 2006
            Please help me here folks.I seem to remember hearing an accoustic version of T after T
            just recently by Cyndi slower than the original and just lovely.Anyone know?.T after T has
            to be a classic,I think David Sanbourne recorded it but I can't imagine him doing a version
            of Girls just wanna have fun. Yes, Cyndi's got far more talent than Madonna will ever
            have--- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, "b_marchini" <bmarchini@...> wrote:

            > --- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, mikerobbins@ wrote:
            >
            > >The recorder mik..the recorder..as I said she slayed em.
            > You didnt mention "Time After Time" . One of Miles Davis faves I've
            > been told....and I dont think she's disappeared and often pops up in
            > Europe..
            > Oz Rock it is..:-)
            > bobbi
            >
            > > Promise I won't scream Bobbi :-) But were ya referring to Cyndi or
            > the recorder
            > > solo though? Hope it wasn't Cyndi as I think she's a totally
            > unique performer,
            > > and despite her best known song "Girls Wanna Have Fun" not really
            > showing her
            > > capabilities & the excessive NY drawl she speaks in, she actually
            > has a supeb
            > > singing voice.
            > > No better proof was offered than by hearing the massacre that
            > Aussie country
            > > goil Kasey Chambers made of Cyndi's True Colours a cuppla years
            > back. Truly
            > > excreble. Then fuurther proof came with last years album that
            > brought Cyndi
            > > back into the limelight "At Last'. Not only did it have several
            > excellent vocal
            > > performances but it also had superb original arrangements of some
            > well worn
            > > standards. Things like Walk On By, If You Go Away, La Vie En Rose
            > & Don't Let
            > > Me Be Misunderstood, You've Really Got A Hold On Me, etc. Yet she
            > made them
            > > entirely fresh with her interpretations. How criminal that she &
            > Madonna should
            > > gain popularity the same year & yet while the talentless Madonna's
            > has been
            > > ever present all these years, the far more talented Cyndi has been
            > hardly heard
            > > of for 15 years or more
            > > BTW Has anyone heard the album Cyndi recorded with the band Blue
            > Angel back in
            > > the '70's, several years B4 'Girls'. Great girl-group style
            > pop/rock & she
            > > shoulda been a star from back then.
            > >
            > > OK Back to Oz rock now
            > >
            > > Micko
            > >

            > > Quoting b_marchini <bmarchini@>:
            > >
            > > > --- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Allen" <dal28882@>
            > > > wrote:
            > > > >
            > > > Hi dave..please dont anybody scream..but once, a few years back I
            > > > watched some horrible awards show and Cindi Lauper was guesting.
            > > > Instead of doing her song like she should have she broke off and
            > > > went down into the audience, pulled out a recorder and ..simply
            > > > played the melody..and killed em. Waking round the tables and
            > > > playing the recorder.
            > > > S'pose she was somebody's sister, but I thought she was alright.
            > > > bobbi

            > Digital"

            > kick
            > > > in & they
            > > > degree!

          • Tony Jaggers
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 3, 2006
              Yes John....she sure did.....it was a poignant version that would bring a tear to your eye....it lives somewhere in the "others" section at 2 EAR fM Radion ( songs that arent't C&W, by Vera Lyn or Christian Death Metal)
              If I ever come across it again Im gonna steal it!!

              TJ
              www.tonyjaggers.com
              Please help me here folks.I seem to remember hearing an accoustic version of T after T
              just recently by Cyndi slower than the original and just lovely.Anyone know?.T after T has
              to be a classic,I think David Sanbourne recorded it but I can't imagine him doing a version
              of Girls just wanna have fun. Yes, Cyndi's got far more talent than Madonna will ever
              have--- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, "b_marchini" <bmarchini@...> wrote:

              > --- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, mikerobbins@ wrote:
              >
              >> Oz Rock it is..:-)
              > bobbi
              >MILESAGO: Australasian music and popular culture 1964-1975

              http://www.milesago.com

            • Joe Murray
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
                  --- In rocknroll-scars@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Murray" <murray@...>
                  wrote:
                  >I agree that she has class and style. Have been a fan for a long
                  time and the pity is that she appeared about the same time as
                  Madonna who simply had a better commercial sense and determination.
                  If they had both evolved at a different time there would have been a
                  different result .
                  bottom line is, the buyers decide and whether we like it or not,
                  they push us up the charts or not.. and the charts are what pushes
                  the industry..and as the name Madonna came up somewhere in
                  this "recorder" debate it might be a good idea to look at how hard
                  she has worked rather than how good a voice she has.
                  While in Uk recently watched her tour video on BBC and while
                  repulsed by her enormous ego was impressed with her sheer hard work.
                  BUT prefer Cyndi and own at least one of her cd's and was impressed
                  that she had the chutzpa (sp?)to do her own thing.
                  cheers
                  bobbi