Re: [rocknroll-scars] Re: Nuggets 2

  • Tony Jaggers
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2 1:23 AM
      Mark,
      Ive probably it somewhere in the chat...but where can you get a couple of
      Nuggets

      Tony Jaggers
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2 4:16 PM
        Tony
        You could try here
        http://www.bigstarmusic.com.au

        Ive probably it somewhere in the chat...but where can you get a couple of
        Nuggets

        Tony Jaggers
        > Steve I agree with most of what you say (except I'm a big fan of the
        > Creation)
        > I was surprised at the omissions too. Particularly no Loved One or I want
        > you I need you I love you.
        > I assume the Move and the Small Faces appear because they were largely
        > unknown in the USA which makes sense when they declare that the collection
        > is largely hitless ie hitless in the US.
        > One thing that irked me though is why didn't they use a picture of the
        > Masters that was of the line up that recorded War or Hands of Time? Plenty
        > of pictures are available.

      • Duncan Kimball
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2 6:44 PM
          >From: steve_hogan@...
          >Subject: [rocknroll-scars] Re: Nuggets 2

          >Picked up my copy of Nuggets II from Big Star Wednesday. A few
          >comments:
          >
          >Don't really know why The Move & The Small Faces are included - with
          >2 tracks apiece at that.

          Go easy Steve -- you're talking to a fiercely devoted Small Faces and Move
          fan. I cannot imagine putting together any such compilation without
          including them. They were absolutely crucial to that period, for mine. I
          don't about the Move so much, though they did have quite an influence, but
          there's no denying the Small Faces' enormous impact on many, many Aussie
          bands - Masters, Zoot, etc etc all talked about them AND covered them. Dazza
          Braithwaite even did a cover of 'Afterglow' as a solo single in the 70s. And
          let's face it - I can only think of one drummer better than Kenney Jones.
          He's a god in my books.

          >I'd rather have seen their spots go to some of the bands who didn't get >a
          >look-in such as The Allusions, The Loved Ones, Larry's Rebels, Hi->Revving
          >Tongues etc. 'Friday On My Mind' could've been dropped too; >'Sorry' would
          >have been a fine Easybeats example on its own.

          Well, I agree that LOTS MORE Aussie/Kiwi content would have been good, but I
          guess individual track choices were determined by the overall framework. My
          assumption (going from the original set) is that Nuggets concerns itself
          primarily with mid-60s psychedelia and psych-pop, so from that view "Friday"
          is a better choice than 'Sorry', I think. But what about "Land OF Make
          Believe"? (Stevie's favourite) - that would have been a perfect choice IMO.
          And I LOVE how it goes from pure spacey psych in the verses into that jaunty
          bluebeat feel in the choruses. Brilliant.

          >Hard to figure The Twilights being represented by 'Cathy Come Home';
          >a tad straight among the more vigourous entries around it. '9:50'
          >would have been my pick.

          Both great tracks, and I have to say 'Cathy' certainly has that psych sound,
          sitars and all. As I said b4, I would have preferred '9:50' myself, if only
          because it's a bit "edgier" in feel. Mind you, Laurie does some KILLER
          drumming on Cathy, very Moonesque.

          And I have to say (and I'm not being a crawler) that one HUGE oversight was
          Cam-Pact's version of 'Drawing Room'. One of the great overlooked psych
          classics of the time IMO.

          [BTW Keith -- after reading your memoir, I went back and listened again to
          the 18CQ tracks on that Cantoad compilation. Several things occurred to me:

          A) they are MILES better and more adventurous than just about anything else
          on that CD

          B) they really sound like people trying to do something different, as
          opposed to churning out the rather pedestrian beat pop that features
          elsewhere

          C) 'Drawing Room' and 'Distant Relative' had a feel, a mood that was oddly
          familiar ... I thought about it for a bit and then realised that it really
          reminded me of The Velvet Underground. But of course that was quite some
          time before VU ever appeared or were known here. Most impressive.

          It's great that they're all available. I initially preferred the CamPact
          version of 'Drawing Room', which as I said, I think is really outstanding.
          But I've really grown to love to the original -- in fact all those tracks
          have that delicate, wistful quality about them which really sets them out
          apart from the rest of the stuff on the album. Hats off. It's a terrible
          pity you guys didn't get to record more, especially some more from Hans'
          stockpile of songs that you spoke of.]

          >3 tracks by The Creation? Come off it Rhino! One track would be ample
          >for this band who come across to me as a (more) gimmicky version of
          >The Who.

          Ooooh careful son. I can't claim to be a Creation expert, but those guys
          were VERY influential, and their guitarist Eddie Phillips was very highly
          regarded by his peers; he of course originated that gimmick of playing the
          guitar with a violin (cello?) bow, which Jimmy Page subsequently nicked from
          him. He was also invited to join The Who but he turned it down.

          >How about that German pic sleeve for 'Undecided' pictured in the
          >booklet? Woo-ee!
          >
          >'Pictures Of Matchstick Men' is just plain junk. Not even good enough
          >to be called 'trash' in this context.

          Oh it's OK. A bit of fluff I spose, but fun. Certainly a good example of
          "paint-by-numbers" psychedelia.

          >The Aussie stuff holds its own well in this company. The
          >Atlantics 'Come On' shades a lot of stuff by more highly-fancied Brit
          >contenders.

          Too true -- and there's SO much more they could have included.

          Dunks
        • Keith Glass
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2 7:55 PM
            Duncan Kimball wrote:

            > >From: steve_hogan@...
            > >Subject: [rocknroll-scars] Re: Nuggets 2
            >
            > >Picked up my copy of Nuggets II from Big Star Wednesday. A few
            > >comments:
            > >

            > let's face it - I can only think of one drummer better than Kenney Jones.

            I bet the one better isn't Roger Hawkins!

            > >I'd rather have seen their spots go to some of the bands who didn't get >a
            > >look-in such as The Allusions, The Loved Ones, Larry's Rebels, Hi->Revving
            > >Tongues etc. 'Friday On My Mind' could've been dropped too; >'Sorry' would
            > >have been a fine Easybeats example on its own.

            Amazed no-one has dissed Ronnie Burns yet.

            > And I have to say (and I'm not being a crawler) that one HUGE oversight was
            > Cam-Pact's version of 'Drawing Room'. One of the great overlooked psych
            > classics of the time IMO.

            Let's face it - it is a bit of a mess IMO but whatever I wish it was there cos
            I could use the royalties!

            > [BTW Keith -- after reading your memoir, I went back and listened again to
            > the 18CQ tracks on that Cantoad compilation. Several things occurred to me:
            >
            > A) they are MILES better and more adventurous than just about anything else
            > on that CD

            Depends on your def because the rest is the beat group sound that is indicative
            of the era but I reckon they sound better than I ever thought possible.

            > B) they really sound like people trying to do something different, as
            > opposed to churning out the rather pedestrian beat pop that features
            > elsewhere
            >
            > C) 'Drawing Room' and 'Distant Relative' had a feel, a mood that was oddly
            > familiar ... I thought about it for a bit and then realised that it really
            > reminded me of The Velvet Underground. But of course that was quite some
            > time before VU ever appeared or were known here. Most impressive.

            That Albert Rd Armstrongs studio was great and had a room sound that few other
            Aussie studios had.

            > It's great that they're all available. I initially preferred the CamPact
            > version of 'Drawing Room', which as I said, I think is really outstanding.
            > But I've really grown to love to the original -- in fact all those tracks
            > have that delicate, wistful quality about them which really sets them out
            > apart from the rest of the stuff on the album. Hats off. It's a terrible
            > pity you guys didn't get to record more, especially some more from Hans'
            > stockpile of songs that you spoke of.]

            Well, stand by because I spoke to ex-mangler Oshlack and we may have tapes of a
            living room session where we put down a heap of Hans songs - but I have no idea
            what they sound like.

            Keith
          • Duncan Kimball
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2 9:08 PM
              Keith titillates:

              >Well, stand by because I spoke to ex-mangler Oshlack and we may have >tapes
              >of a living room session where we put down a heap of Hans songs - >but I
              >have no idea what they sound like.

              Woo-hoo!! Can't wait!

              D.

            • Tony Jaggers