Re: [rocknroll-scars] Where is Mick bower?

  • Action Man
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2001
      I use to go to Russell's nite club when I was 16 back in 1984 - disliked his
      music but always found him 'interesting'. There is some MH and Coloured
      Balls material recorded from 68 I think - any idea what it would be like?
      What were they like? I was only one.
      Does Mick Bower ever get publicly recognised for his art?
      JOHN

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2001

      • steve_hogan@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2001
          --- In rocknroll-scars@y..., "Action Man" <actionman67@p...> wrote:
          > Does Mick Bower ever get publicly recognised for his art?
          > JOHN

          When the Masters were inducted to the Australian R&R Hall Of Fame a
          while back, Keays acceptance speech singled Mick Bower out for
          special mention. This was featured in the Masters video that came out
          last year I think.

          How 'public' that recognition is, I don't know. Brian Vaughton is
          probably better known as an 'ex-Master' around this town.

          Steve
        • Duncan Kimball
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2001
            >Just got a 45 of Buried And Dead which I played all weekend (holiday
            > >weekend here in NZ) - how did this guy write - the first two Masters
            > >singles are fucking mindblowing!!!!!!

            Yes they are pretty bloody marvellous aren't they? Bloody brilliant writer
            IMO.

            >And I hear Russell Crowe is touring his Grunt band later in the year too

            zzzzzzzzz

            >Couple of questions - What is best Coloured Balls LP? Has it been
            > >reissued?

            I have a Coloured Balls reissue, "Lobby Loyde & The Coloured Balls". 2CD set
            (on EMI(?)), came out in 1997. It's a compilation, mostly from the Ball
            Power LP, and I think maybe some stuff from Obsecration. It's probably still
            available somewhere.

            Lobby's "Plays With George Guitar" is on CD now also. Cat # is VSC014. Dunno
            what company tho.

            >What happened to Peter Tilbrook???

            Met him at George Crotty's party in March. He played with Colin and Denny in
            an impromptu Masters lineup that night. Lives in Adelaide. Still plays, has
            his own band, they play Masters and various other stuff, mostly covers,
            although Peter had one solo single late 60s which is on that Datura
            Dreamtime CD (or maybe the other one?). Quite good psych-pop stuff but I've
            only heard it once or twice so far.

            Didn't get much chance to speak to him but he said Mick still lives in
            Adelaide and I think he said they are in touch. I'm reading between the
            lines but I got the impression he and Mick and Gavin were a bit miffed about
            (but more or less resigned to) being left out, but of course there are two
            sides to every story, and I don't want to cast Jim as the villain. At least
            he's managed to do something to document it all, even if it's not perfect.

            However I agree about Mick. Of course he might not WANT to be involved, and
            that's possibly what has happened, but if he's around and is able to
            contribute, why has he been relegated to a footnote in the Masters story,
            especially in the video, which barely mentions him.

            One of the greatest original pop/rock writers this country has ever
            produced, and a damn shame he didn't keep writing, considering the
            consistent quality of what he did up to 1967.

            On that score - where is Rick Morrison these days?

            dunks
          • Keith Glass
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2001
              Action Man wrote:

              > I use to go to Russell's nite club when I was 16 back in 1984 - disliked his
              > music but always found him 'interesting'.

              I think he is going to play 'Boofhead' in the forthcoming movie based around
              the comic character.

              > There is some MH and Coloured
              > Balls material recorded from 68 I think - any idea what it would be like?

              68 - great band, Hadley was king of the scene. Latter Lobby driven Ball's -
              shit.

              > What were they like? I was only one.

              You would have liked 'em, even at one.

              > Does Mick Bower ever get publicly recognised for his art?

              No, Jimbo's got it sown up. K

            • maksimovic36@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2001
                ---
                Oh Keith,in good form today!!!!(HA!HA!HA!)

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2001
                  --- In rocknroll-scars@y..., "Duncan Kimball" <dunks58@h...> wrote:
                  > >Just got a 45 of Buried And Dead which I played all weekend
                  (holiday
                  > > >weekend here in NZ) - how did this guy write - the first two
                  Masters
                  > > >singles are fucking mindblowing!!!!!!
                  >
                  > Yes they are pretty bloody marvellous aren't they? Bloody brilliant
                  writer
                  > IMO.
                  >
                  > >And I hear Russell Crowe is touring his Grunt band later in the
                  year too

                  > zzzzzzzzz
                  >
                  > >Couple of questions - What is best Coloured Balls LP? Has it been
                  > > >reissued?
                  >
                  > I have a Coloured Balls reissue, "Lobby Loyde & The Coloured
                  Balls". 2CD set
                  > (on EMI(?)), came out in 1997. It's a compilation, mostly from the
                  Ball
                  > Power LP, and I think maybe some stuff from Obsecration. It's
                  probably still
                  > available somewhere.

                  >Dunks,I think the Balls album is The First Last Supper aka Rock Your
                  Arse Off,the album they recorded for Havoc(I think)but not released
                  till about '76,it predates Ball Power and the other disc is LL's 1976
                  solo album Obsecration as I have the original album and those notes
                  in the booklet are LL's cosmic ramblings from that album.They were
                  both released on the Rainbird label.
                  FYI LL era Balls fans there is/was a CD compile on the Balls back in
                  about '95.It was on the Siren label and it contained things like
                  Liberate Rock,samplings from both Balls EMI albums,The Summer Jam
                  version of GOD and as I recall something from LL's album Live With
                  Dubs.Programatically it was a very good overview of the band.It had
                  an essay by LL,nothing fancy but a pretty funny story involving the
                  producer and the engineer during the making of Ball
                  Power.Soundwise,it's all over the place,disc dubs and tape masters
                  and in particular the EMI stuff which they only seemed to be able to
                  find the A side master tape reels for both albums so one song was
                  obviously MT then the next song from the same LP was DD because it
                  was from the B side,I found it very jarring listening which is why I
                  guess Ive only ever heard it once or twice,it's in a box somewhere
                  with the rest of my stuff,If someone wants I can try dig it up and
                  post cat no and track list.

                  http://www.vicioussloth.com.au

                  > >What happened to Peter Tilbrook???
                  >
                  > Met him at George Crotty's party in March. He played with Colin and
                  Denny in
                  > an impromptu Masters lineup that night. Lives in Adelaide. Still
                  plays, has
                  > his own band, they play Masters and various other stuff, mostly
                  covers,
                  > although Peter had one solo single late 60s which is on that Datura
                  > Dreamtime CD (or maybe the other one?). Quite good psych-pop stuff
                  but I've
                  > only heard it once or twice so far.
                  >
                  > Didn't get much chance to speak to him but he said Mick still lives
                  in
                  > Adelaide and I think he said they are in touch. I'm reading between
                  the
                  > lines but I got the impression he and Mick and Gavin were a bit
                  miffed about
                  > (but more or less resigned to) being left out, but of course there
                  are two
                  > sides to every story, and I don't want to cast Jim as the villain.
                  At least
                  > he's managed to do something to document it all, even if it's not
                  perfect.

                  > However I agree about Mick. Of course he might not WANT to be
                  involved, and
                  > that's possibly what has happened, but if he's around and is able
                  > contribute, why has he been relegated to a footnote in the Masters
                  story,
                  > especially in the video, which barely mentions him.
                  >
                  > One of the greatest original pop/rock writers this country has ever
                  > produced, and a damn shame he didn't keep writing, considering the
                  > consistent quality of what he did up to 1967.
                  >
                  > On that score - where is Rick Morrison these days?
                  >
                  > dunks

                  Agreed,Dunks.
                  Just what I figured,nobody asked their take on things.Ive got the
                  Masters vid and yeah MB's barely mentioned,the video is basically JK
                  with Glenn Wheatley.I would have liked a lot more of Doug Ford's
                  input again he wrote or co-wrote all the stuff from 1968 and kept the
                  Masters going in England after JK and GW quit,I would have been
                  interested to hear more on that undocumented part of the band,it's
                  just passed over in the vid.I think Ford only pops up a couple of
                  times and once he was talking about the Missing Links.I guess I
                  should be thankful for GW's reminiscences as they are straight
                  forward with no bullshit.If Mick Bower's in such poor shape why has
                  he been gigging on and off since the late 70's in Adelaide so he has
                  obviously improved his frame of mind since '67.